Closed

Display Explorer Folders Tree Structure and Export to Excel

August 10, 2004 3:55:15 AM

I need to make a list in Excel of all the files on my C:
drive, folder by folder.

I can't find any command in Explorer to export the file
structure in this manner.

Can anyone help?

More about : display explorer folders tree structure export excel

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 6:35:02 AM

Hi,

Go to a dos prompt. go to the c:\ if u want the listing of that drive.
type this command dir > somefile.txt
this will print out the contents of the directory to the text file.
then you can export that text file to Excel.

Regards
M. Rajesh
..Net and Windows Shell MVP
www.winxpsolution.com

"Chris Beckett" wrote:

> I need to make a list in Excel of all the files on my C:
> drive, folder by folder.
>
> I can't find any command in Explorer to export the file
> structure in this manner.
>
> Can anyone help?

Score
0
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 8:44:26 AM

Many thanks !

I was also directed to a freeware program called msls.exe
that allows me to print out the entire directory
structure in one go with all subfolders. I think using
DIR requires manually working your way through them one
by one, and running DIR each time ?

That means a lot of work in my case !

Score
0
August 11, 2004 3:58:18 AM

Put the parameter "/s" after dir, and youl gett a _very_ long list of all
the files on your computer, directory by directory..... to put the output in
a file to edit it, append ">\directories.txt"

Of course without citation marks...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Chris Beckett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> Many thanks !
>
> I was also directed to a freeware program called msls.exe
> that allows me to print out the entire directory
> structure in one go with all subfolders. I think using
> DIR requires manually working your way through them one
> by one, and running DIR each time ?
>
> That means a lot of work in my case !

Score
0

Best solution

May 21, 2009 1:02:17 PM

In Windows:

1. Start – Programs – Accessories – Command Prompt [This will open the DOS screen]
2. Type: D: ENTER [where D is the drive you want to go to and ENTER is the enter key]
3. Type CD\directory1\directory2\directory3 ENTER [where directory1, 2, 3 are the directories you want to “tree”. Add more directory names as appropriate]
4. Type Tree ENTER [This will display the tree on the screen – just a test to see if you are in the correct directory, otherwise you can type: Dir and ENTER]
5. Type Tree /a /f > list ENTER [Tree*/a*/f*>*list ENTER – note “*” is a space. You can also type: tree/? To see an explanation of the codes. The “>” redirects the output from the screen to a file called “list” in the same directory]

You should now close the command prompt [click on X or type: Exit ENTER]

PS if you are not sure of the directory name, you can type dir /p ENTER after step 2.

You can now open the file in Notepad or in MSWord [It will be saved in the last directory that you tree-ed]

Praveen
Share
April 6, 2010 11:40:13 PM

+1 for the above instructions.. Produces a beautiful tree structure in a txt file.

Thanks!
Score
0
April 7, 2010 3:51:46 AM

Click the BEST ANSWER on pratapani's box.
Score
0
April 10, 2010 11:58:54 AM

Quote:

I need to make a list in Excel of all the files on my C:
drive, folder by folder.

I can't find any command in Explorer to export the file
structure in this manner.

Can anyone help?

Try Print Directory to Print Directory Contents.

From Here : http://www.print-directory.com
Score
0
April 10, 2010 10:05:11 PM

I just noticed the dates on these. :o  Is there a reason why you're answering a 5-year old thread, and a year-old thread, davensocal?
Score
0
June 17, 2010 1:44:06 AM

Best answer selected by aford10.