Ultra power supplies...any good?

PCStats has a somewhat favorable review of the 500 watt'er.

Building a powerful system and want this brand PSU but need to know if
they are reliable.
1 answer Last reply
More about ultra power supplies good

    MartyLK@sega.net wrote:
    > PCStats has a somewhat favorable review of the 500 watt'er.
    >
    > Building a powerful system and want this brand PSU but need to know if
    > they are reliable.

    The PCStats review may have given some wrong information:

    "The volt-amp (VA) value is how much real power is
    being consumed by the power supply being tested to
    provide the wattage (W) value. The higher the VA
    value is, the more electricity is being used by the
    power supply. Because no electrical device is 100%
    efficient, there will always be some loss when
    converting AC to DC. The closer the volt-amps and
    wattage figures are to each other, the more efficient
    a power supply is. This is called the Power Factor:
    wattage / volt-amps = PF."

    But VA isn't a measure of real power but of apparent power, or the
    excess above the real power, and that excess is not consumed by the PSU
    but is bounced back into the AC power source. In the U.S., household
    customers aren't billed for this excess, so it doesn't matter except
    when it comes to sizing a standby power supply, such as an UPS, where
    its VA output capacity must exceed the computers VA draw, and for two
    systems that each consume the same number of watts, the one with the
    higher power factor will allow a lower capacity standby power supply to
    be used.

    PCStats didn't test seem to test the PSU to its full rated 500W but
    only to 193W, and I'm not sure if that's 193W coming out of the PSU or
    193W going into it.

    IOW I don't think that much can be concluded about the Ultra
    X-Connect's performance from this review.

    Here are some better reviews of this product (better = competent, not
    necessarily favorable):

    www.silentpcreview.com/article193-page1.html
    www.slcentral.com/ultra-x-connect-500w-titanium-psu
    www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/ultraxconnect/ultrax.htm

    More than one company manufactures the Ultra-X series. Some are by
    Wintech (the one 3DVelocity tested was, and all the Ultra X-finity) and
    others are by Young Year.

Homebuilt Hardware Power Supplies Systems