Virus Question

I have a virus, somewhere in my Win2000 PC, called mshtml3.exe. I
can't find the file to remove it. My virus software, AVG, identifies
the virus as a "trojanhorsedownloader.generic.EVK, but can't delete
it. I have found some very involved instructions for removing the
virus.

Question:

Can I just reformat the partition, or zero out the entire HD and
eliminate the virus? That would be much easier than trying to save
the currently installed OS.

Thanks for helpful suggestions.

BG

U-571@ship.com wrote:
> I have a virus, somewhere in my Win2000 PC, called mshtml3.exe. I
> can't find the file to remove it.

Windows Explorer. Search.

The few references I could find for that one placed it in either
\winnt\temp (or C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ depending on your install) or \Documents
and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\Temp\

But that's no guarantee. Try there first, and then search, regardless.

> My virus software, AVG, identifies
> the virus as a "trojanhorsedownloader.generic.EVK, but can't delete
> it.

It should have quarantined it in their "Virus Vault."

> I have found some very involved instructions for removing the
> virus.

For which virus?

Technically speaking, that one isn't a virus. It's purpose is to download a
trojan, assuming the name given is representative, but their 'searchable'
Virus Encyclopedia doesn't have their own name,
trojanhorsedownloader.generic.EVK, listed so I can't say for sure.

> Question:
>
> Can I just reformat the partition, or zero out the entire HD and
> eliminate the virus? That would be much easier than trying to save
> the currently installed OS.

Yes, formatting the drive will get rid of it but I wouldn't say it's
easier. It's easier to either empty their Virus Vault, where it should be
quarantined, or, if for some reason AVG didn't quarantine it, boot to safe
mode, search the hard drive for it, and delete the thing(s).

You can't delete a file that is in use, which is probably why AVG couldn't
delete it, but safe mode doesn't run anything so it should be dormant and
removable.

The run a full virus scan in safe mode. I think AVG will allow a safe mode
scan but if not then run one first thing on a normal bootup.

From the skimpy information I could find that one doesn't look unusually
tenacious but if it 'comes back' on a reboot write down the reported file
names and repeat the safe mode delete process but add...

Run "regedit" (without the quotes), search for the file names you wrote
down and delete any entries with those names.

Then continue on like the first time through. I.E. Another virus scan.

If that doesn't do it then consider the format solution.

> Thanks for helpful suggestions.
>
> BG

jad

search for files according to date, current date only. Anything that is an
..EXE or a .DLL or odd .htmls are suspect.

When downloaders are 'healed' they become benign, but still can cause
problems.

<U-571@ship.com> wrote in message
> I have a virus, somewhere in my Win2000 PC, called mshtml3.exe. I
> can't find the file to remove it. My virus software, AVG, identifies
> the virus as a "trojanhorsedownloader.generic.EVK, but can't delete
> it. I have found some very involved instructions for removing the
> virus.
>
> Question:
>
> Can I just reformat the partition, or zero out the entire HD and
> eliminate the virus? That would be much easier than trying to save
> the currently installed OS.
>
> Thanks for helpful suggestions.
>
> BG

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 05:59:08 -0500 As Androids Dreamed Of Electric
Sheep and then U-571@ship.com wrote :

>I have a virus, somewhere in my Win2000 PC, called mshtml3.exe. I
>can't find the file to remove it. My virus software, AVG, identifies
>the virus as a "trojanhorsedownloader.generic.EVK, but can't delete
>it. I have found some very involved instructions for removing the
>virus.
>
>Question:
>
>Can I just reformat the partition, or zero out the entire HD and
>eliminate the virus? That would be much easier than trying to save
>the currently installed OS.
>
>Thanks for helpful suggestions.
>
>BG

Try A-Squared as an addition to AVG.See if it helps.
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

--
Free Windows/PC help,

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.

I'm not very experienced with viruses, since I had never had one for
10 years. But, with kids going to these download sites, I've had
three in the past month.

I appreciate your help.

DG