ABit AN8 SATAII 300Mbps

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

Hi

I am planning to buy an ABit AN8 Ultra. I want to build a cheap
reliable machine which is quick at Photoshop CS2 work.

ABit AN8 Ultra
2x 512MB DDR400 CL2.5 Corsair Memory
Radeon X800GT 256MB graphics card (for a bit of Battlefield 2!)

And this is where I get stuck. I have read everyones comments on SATAII
not being a standard but the group that is developing SATA improvement.
I was thinking of getting a 10000 Raptor for the C: drive OS and a
Samsung Spinpoint P120 SATAII drive for storing and working with images.

I have tried to read up on it but cant seem to get my head around it.
The ABit site says the AN8 supports SATA 300Mbps RAID. Does this mean
it will support the Samsung Spinpoint at full 'SATAII' speed with native
command queuing etc?

Does SATA 300Mbps RAID mean I have to set up a raid in order to get the
full support?

Can I run the Raptor as SATA1 and the Spinpoint as SATAII at the same time?

Totally confused!

In article <1127993108.96397.0@doris.uk.clara.net>, says...
> Hi
>
> I am planning to buy an ABit AN8 Ultra. I want to build a cheap
> reliable machine which is quick at Photoshop CS2 work.
>
> ABit AN8 Ultra
> 2x 512MB DDR400 CL2.5 Corsair Memory
> Radeon X800GT 256MB graphics card (for a bit of Battlefield 2!)

Double the RAM. My wife uses Photoshop in her work and is now regularly
dealing with huge files.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yea pretty soon if you upgrade your OS to the new VISTA... i'd be ready to handle everything i'd be safe with 2GB....

2GB should easily handle your photoshop and any other application you throw at it.