NT4 dhcp problem with XPSP2 clients

keith

Hi,

First post on the groups.

I have just rebuilt an nt4 server as a pdc for a small (14) domain of
totally standard XP clients. Previously, the old manager had the nt box
set up as a file server only (no DC functionality) and used static IP
addressing.

So i built the nt box, patched with sp6a and security roll-up. Added
the DHCP service and set a scope of 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 with an
exclusion zone of 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.10 to allow for server,
printers etc.

Booted up the xp box and joined to the domain (while it was still using
static IP) then switched to automatic addressing. From that point, it
could not get an IP address and continually failed upon release/renew.

TCP/IP has been fully configured, DNS set up and WINS installed but
still no addresses given out.

Any ideas?

keith

yep, activated the scope immediately after the config stage.

Added options for router and dns servers to the scope options to point
to the dsl router and nt server respectively.

I have seen a few posts referring to enabling ~netbios over tcp/ip~ on
the xp client. Is this required to allow an IP to be assigned? Cant
test it right now as im at home.

keith

any other ideas then? i worked at it for a few hours today and the best
i could get was an event log entry which showed a NACK issued to my
laptop trying to get an ip (purely because it was asking for the same
IP as it had on my test domain at work).

It just tries to renew for about 2-3 mins then fails every time.

Really really annoying! Thanks for replying so far.

Stupid question but did you activate the scope? Is it active?
Also which options did you configure?

<keith@shamhead.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> First post on the groups.
>
> I have just rebuilt an nt4 server as a pdc for a small (14) domain of
> totally standard XP clients. Previously, the old manager had the nt box
> set up as a file server only (no DC functionality) and used static IP
> addressing.
>
> So i built the nt box, patched with sp6a and security roll-up. Added
> the DHCP service and set a scope of 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 with an
> exclusion zone of 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.10 to allow for server,
> printers etc.
>
> Booted up the xp box and joined to the domain (while it was still using
> static IP) then switched to automatic addressing. From that point, it
> could not get an IP address and continually failed upon release/renew.
>
> TCP/IP has been fully configured, DNS set up and WINS installed but
> still no addresses given out.
>
> Any ideas?

NetBIOS over tcp/ip must be enabled in order for an
XP client to join / participate in an NT 4.0 domain but
it shouldn't prevent the client from seeing the DHCP
server.

<keith@shamhead.com> wrote in message news:
> yep, activated the scope immediately after the config stage.
>
> Added options for router and dns servers to the scope options to point
> to the dsl router and nt server respectively.
>
> I have seen a few posts referring to enabling ~netbios over tcp/ip~ on
> the xp client. Is this required to allow an IP to be assigned? Cant
> test it right now as im at home.

Do you have a static server setup which can connect
to the DHCP server via ping? The client sends a DHCP
discover packet to find the DHCP server. I would use
network monitor or another sniffer to capture the network
traffic on the server during bootup and see if the client discover
packet is reaching the server.

<keith@shamhead.com> wrote in message news:
> any other ideas then? i worked at it for a few hours today and the best
> i could get was an event log entry which showed a NACK issued to my
> laptop trying to get an ip (purely because it was asking for the same
> IP as it had on my test domain at work).
>
> It just tries to renew for about 2-3 mins then fails every time.
>
> Really really annoying! Thanks for replying so far.

keith

Ill give that a go. I have completely removed the server from the lab
however and it is sitting on its own. I have tried plugging it into a
basic (working) hub and also using a crossover cable direct to a client
machine but still no luck. When the client is on a static ip in the
subnet, it pings fine and can access resources/join domain etc. Just
will not get an address at all...

keith

still no luck. just will not give out an address.

Even tried another rebuild from scratch. NT4 server then SP6a then
Security Rollup then I configured the scope and activated then tried to
connect the client. Nothing at all. No addresses being assigned. This
is driving me nuts!!

Also replaced the nic but still nothing.

Somebody help!?!

Go into the services applet in the control panel
and manually stop then restart the DHCP service.
No errors?

<keith@shamhead.com> wrote in message news:
> still no luck. just will not give out an address.
>
> Even tried another rebuild from scratch. NT4 server then SP6a then
> Security Rollup then I configured the scope and activated then tried to
> connect the client. Nothing at all. No addresses being assigned. This
> is driving me nuts!!
>
> Also replaced the nic but still nothing.
>
> Somebody help!?!

Something blocking the packets e.g., firewall?
<keith@shamhead.com> wrote in message news:
> still no luck. just will not give out an address.
>
> Even tried another rebuild from scratch. NT4 server then SP6a then
> Security Rollup then I configured the scope and activated then tried to
> connect the client. Nothing at all. No addresses being assigned. This
> is driving me nuts!!
>
> Also replaced the nic but still nothing.
>
> Somebody help!?!

keith

No firewalls involved. also tried restarting dhcp service, no change.

The only thing I can see in the event logs which helps in the tiniest
bit is a NACK issued to my laptop when i bring it from my test domain
(different subnet) and it asks for the same address.

I ran net monitor and tried a release/renew from the client. I can see
the broadcast packet straight away yet it still wont give out an
address?!?

I think im just going to give in and go for static addressing. It
really isnt worth all the trouble!