Lost PDC in WinNT 4.0 Domain

evert

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
evert.meulie.net

After a hardware crash of our domain controller we placed a new Server.
The old backup-server was promoted to primairy domain controller (PDC).
The network connection is OK and it is possible to connect to the PDC.
On the domain are three other backup domain controllers (BDC).
The PDC and all BDC's are WinNT 4.0 SP6 Server systems.
Since the then several computers on the domain are losing their
computeraccount in the domain and are not able to log on and are getting the
message that there is no computeraccount on the domain or the system is
cannot find a domaincontroller.
In the eventlog on the server i get an error from Netlogon stating "Setup is
not able to verify computer VLDW018. The name of the account in the security
database is VLDW018$ Error: Access refused". (This might not be the true
english message but is a translation from the dutch message).
This apply's mainly to NT 4.0 Workstations but already 4 XP workstations
have suffered from it.
When i try to synchronize a BDC with the PDC and i do it on the PDC Server i
get the message "Network path not found".
But i'm still able to reach the BDC's thrue Explorer or by pinging them.
I hope there is anyone out there to tell me what to look for.

Can you map to a share on the BDC from the PDC and
vice versa? Try first by name and then by tcp/ip address.
If either fails what's the exact error?

Open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -c immediately after
a failed synch and verify note the TTL or time to live. -1
or 600 or less?
"Evert" <Evert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> After a hardware crash of our domain controller we placed a new Server.
> The old backup-server was promoted to primairy domain controller (PDC).
> The network connection is OK and it is possible to connect to the PDC.
> On the domain are three other backup domain controllers (BDC).
> The PDC and all BDC's are WinNT 4.0 SP6 Server systems.
> Since the then several computers on the domain are losing their
> computeraccount in the domain and are not able to log on and are getting
> the
> message that there is no computeraccount on the domain or the system is
> cannot find a domaincontroller.
> In the eventlog on the server i get an error from Netlogon stating "Setup
> is
> not able to verify computer VLDW018. The name of the account in the
> security
> database is VLDW018$ Error: Access refused". (This might not be the true
> english message but is a translation from the dutch message).
> This apply's mainly to NT 4.0 Workstations but already 4 XP workstations
> have suffered from it.
> When i try to synchronize a BDC with the PDC and i do it on the PDC Server
> get the message "Network path not found".
> But i'm still able to reach the BDC's thrue Explorer or by pinging them.
> I hope there is anyone out there to tell me what to look for.

evert

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
evert.meulie.net

Michael, I can make a share on both servers.
When i run nbtstat on the BDC i get the message "no names in cache"
When i run nslookup i get the message "can't find servername for address
192.168.150.10, Default servers are not available, Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.150.10 "
When i run nslookup on a workstation the message "*** Can't find server name
for address 192.168.152.10: Non-existent domain
*** Default servers are not available " appears.
When i run both commands on the PDC the followong appears;
=======================
C:\>nslookup
Default Server: ns1.csnet.nl
Address: 194.69.16.18

> nbtstat

Server: ns1.csnet.nl
Address: 194.69.16.18

*** ns1.csnet.nl can't find nbtstat: Non-existent domain
> _
========================
The server from csnet is the one from our provider and not a local one.
I already tried to change the DNS entry to point to the PDC and made a
connection with the WINS Server but no result.
I would be very happy if you knew a solution or point me to the rigt
direction.
Greetings

This is NT correct? NT uses NetBIOS to find computers / DCs
on the network not DNS like W2k or higher. You have to run
nbtstat -c immediately after trying to synch to domain on the BDC.
The names only stay in the cache for 600 seconds after a connection
attempt. Try opening user manager on the BDC then run nbtstat -c.
You should get an error from the BDC if it cannot contact the PDC
and setup a secured connection.