windows 2k3 standard join win2k domain.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

hi all,
my company want just bought a new dell server which installed windows
2003 standard. currently, our company have win2k advanced server work as a
domain controller(AD). my question are
1. is it possible win2k3 to join win2k domain?
2. what i need to prepare?
3. any special setting?

hope someone help me and give me some reference. thanks in advanced

from Comel
2 answers Last reply
More about windows standard join win2k domain
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    >1. is it possible win2k3 to join win2k domain?
    Yes, as a member server. No special preparation needed there.

    >2. what i need to prepare?
    If joining as a DC in a Win200 domain, you need to run adprep /forestprep
    and adprep /domainprep before you can add the Win2003 DC.

    >3. any special setting?
    Lots of caveats, depending on your environment. Do you run Exchange 2000?
    Start here.

    Upgrading Windows 2000 Domains to Windows Server 2003 Domains:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/dssbf_upwn_overview.asp

    Upgrading from Windows 2000 Server to Windows Server 2003:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/whyupgrade/win2k/w2ktows03-2.mspx

    Common Mistakes When Upgrading a Windows 2000 Domain To a Windows 2003
    Domain:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;555040&SD=tech

    --
    Todd J Heron, MCSE
    Windows Server 2003/2000/NT; CCA

    "Comel" <comel@yahoo.co.jp> wrote in message
    hi all,
    my company want just bought a new dell server which installed windows
    2003 standard. currently, our company have win2k advanced server work as a
    domain controller(AD). my question are
    1. is it possible win2k3 to join win2k domain?
    2. what i need to prepare?
    3. any special setting?

    hope someone help me and give me some reference. thanks in advanced

    from Comel
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Hi comel,
    By default, out of the box the W2k3 server should have no
    problem joining the W2k domain as a member server.

    "Comel" <comel@yahoo.co.jp> wrote in message news:
    > hi all,
    > my company want just bought a new dell server which installed windows
    > 2003 standard. currently, our company have win2k advanced server work as a
    > domain controller(AD). my question are
    > 1. is it possible win2k3 to join win2k domain?
    > 2. what i need to prepare?
    > 3. any special setting?
    >
    > hope someone help me and give me some reference. thanks in advanced

Domain Windows Server Microsoft Windows