mh

I have an old NT domain that is getting close to being retired. (Exchange
5.5sp4 with legacy voicemail integration is the last step.) The domain has
a PDC server, BDC server, and the Exchange server left in it. The PDC and
BDC are both running NT4 sp6 and the Exchange server is running W2K. Can
the W2K box be a standard BDC for the NT domain? If so, is it just a normal
DCPromo? Going a step further, could I make the Exchange box a PDC? All
user accounts have been removed from this domain so the only service being
supported is Exchange. I would love to throw out the two extra machines and
just have the Exchange server be its own PDC. I don't want to introduce
Active Directory at all in this domain.

Thanks in Advance!

I am pretty sure you will need to keep a NT Server as the PDC and can not use
a 2000 Server as the PDC or a BDC to a NT domain. Are you working to retired
the Exchange server as well? do you have a Exchange server in a different
domain you can move the mailboxes too?

"MH" wrote:

> I have an old NT domain that is getting close to being retired. (Exchange
> 5.5sp4 with legacy voicemail integration is the last step.) The domain has
> a PDC server, BDC server, and the Exchange server left in it. The PDC and
> BDC are both running NT4 sp6 and the Exchange server is running W2K. Can
> the W2K box be a standard BDC for the NT domain? If so, is it just a normal
> DCPromo? Going a step further, could I make the Exchange box a PDC? All
> user accounts have been removed from this domain so the only service being
> supported is Exchange. I would love to throw out the two extra machines and
> just have the Exchange server be its own PDC. I don't want to introduce
> Active Directory at all in this domain.
>
> Thanks in Advance!

mh

Due to integrated voice mail, we're going to use EXMerge and use the
two-step process to export and import accounts. The Exchange 5.5 server is
already using our Active Directory domain to authenticate users. We have a
parallel Exchange 2003 server up and running. The old domain is basically
just authenticating the Exchange 5.5 service account and the Exchange server
computer account. I thought it would be nice to retire the other boxes
while we get the voicemail software ready to install.

"cberends" <cberends@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am pretty sure you will need to keep a NT Server as the PDC and can not
>use
> a 2000 Server as the PDC or a BDC to a NT domain. Are you working to
> retired
> the Exchange server as well? do you have a Exchange server in a different
> domain you can move the mailboxes too?
>

> "MH" wrote:
>
>> I have an old NT domain that is getting close to being retired.
>> (Exchange
>> 5.5sp4 with legacy voicemail integration is the last step.) The domain
>> has
>> a PDC server, BDC server, and the Exchange server left in it. The PDC
>> and
>> BDC are both running NT4 sp6 and the Exchange server is running W2K. Can
>> the W2K box be a standard BDC for the NT domain? If so, is it just a
>> normal
>> DCPromo? Going a step further, could I make the Exchange box a PDC? All
>> user accounts have been removed from this domain so the only service
>> being
>> supported is Exchange. I would love to throw out the two extra machines
>> and
>> just have the Exchange server be its own PDC. I don't want to introduce
>> Active Directory at all in this domain.
>>
>> Thanks in Advance!

We have been stuck in the same boat as well. we have 3 old NT domains each
with a Exchange 5.5 server in them that we can't get rid of yet as well.
Still have service accounts for SQL Server processes on other server that we
are not aloud to move.