Distinguished
Nov 7, 2005
on the weekend I purchased and assembled the following kit;

cpu : intel 630 cpu (3.0ghz)
mb : gigabyte GA-8I945G Pro
hdd : wd-3200jb
case : Thermaltake Soprano
also ram, kb, mouse, dvd-rom

After self assembly..I booted it up into bios, and noticed that the cpu is running at 83degs Celcius.

I quickly shut it down, let it cool for an hour, then rebooted. All fans (2 case fans plus the intel standard 775 fan) were running. The temp was still in the low 80s. The intel thermal paste was in place.

I can't work out if it IS that hot or not.

If it is, i've no idea why. Maybe the thermal paste was not applied properly, or damaged. Could the fans be blowing air the wrong way? Would touching the heat sinks indicate that it WAS 83degs?

If it's running at normal temp, maybe the mb/bios is not reading it properly. I'll update my bios tonight, and see what happens. But I dont imagine it's this.

Any one got any advice?

thanks

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Do you have SpeedStep enabled?

Since its an 6xx series make sure you enable your PC in Portable/Labtop mode. That will activate Enhanced SpeedStep. That should help reduce temperature when idle.

Double-click Power Options in the Control Panel and select it under Power Schemes. A restart is probably in order.

BTW, if your processor is running at 83 degrees, you don't want to be touching the heatsink. It'll probably burn you.

In terms of case fans, they often have arrows on the sides indicating which way the air flows. You could check those to make sure they are blowing the right way. Air generally flows in through the front, then out through the back. I haven't checked your case website out yet to determine if there are side or top mounted fans.

ausmomo

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2005
Do you have SpeedStep enabled?

Since its an 6xx series make sure you enable your PC in Portable/Labtop mode. That will activate Enhanced SpeedStep. That should help reduce temperature when idle.

Double-click Power Options in the Control Panel and select it under Power Schemes. A restart is probably in order.

thanks for the tip, however..

the hdd is unformatted. I never got as far as formatting it! :) As soon as I saw the temp I shut the system down.

I then removed unnecessary devices (including hdd and dvd-rom) and rebooted. Same problem...very high temp (still in the 80s).

endyen

Splendid
The 630 is one of the cooler 775s, so 83c is way out of line, esp at boot.
Try putting your finger close to the top of the hsf, as close to the processor as possible. Let your finger feel the air there, without actually touching the hsf. If the air doesnt feel all that hot, try a momentary touch to the hsf. you can touch 83c, but will feel the need to remove your finger very quickly. If it is that hot, dont run it long enough to flash the bios.
If it is that hot, ask yourself, are you sure the hsf went into place properly. This seems to be the main reason for the 630 overheating.

RichPLS

Champion
I suspect you either have too much, not enough, not evenly spread, or dirt in your thermal paste, or you do not have the heatsink quite properly attached to be getting those readings...and this is quickest easiest to check...
It should be greater than 10-degrees cooler...
Never over 80
How is it now with updated bios?

ausmomo

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2005
I suspect you either have too much, not enough, not evenly spread, or dirt in your thermal paste, or you do not have the heatsink quite properly attached to be getting those readings...and this is quickest easiest to check...
It should be greater than 10-degrees cooler...
Never over 80
How is it now with updated bios?

I think you are/were right. I took it to the shop and got them to look at it. 5 mins later, he came out of his workshop and said everything was fine - it was running at 41degs.

It was must have been the thermal paste not being on smooth or dirty.

There's not much more I can add to help others who might have this problem in the future.

thanks all.