8.3 (short) filenames connecting NT-XP over network

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Hi, I configured a LAN (no DHCP)... one NT4-computer, one XPhome... trying
to copy files from the XP- to the NT-computer will result in truncating
filenames to old dos-format (8.3). What could be the reason for this? I use
the newest drivers (NT4SP6a + Updates). Is there a registry tweak to this
(NetBIOS/tcpip-Setup)? The NT-computer on its own works fine using NTFS and
long filenames perfectly. The XP-computer-setup should be ok, I assume the
problem is some kind of network setup within the NT4-computer... btw... I
do NOT have NetBEUI installed as a protocol, just TCPIP. Could this be the
reason? The connection actually is made "using NetBIOS over TCPIP" (says
XP).

Thanx

CS

A few things:

1. Is the XP Home PC using NTFS?
2. You don't need Netbios, just TCPIP.
3. How are the files being copied across? Using XP Windows Explorer or a
third party app?
4. Are u pushing or pulling the files from NT4? Ie. Are you initiating the
copy from NT or from XP?
5. Are you copying or moving the files?

I can't see it being a network problem if the files are going directly from
one PC to the other. Have u disabled all unnecessary services/applications
on both first? Try that then copy the files from XP to NT.

--

Julian Milano

"Christian Satt" <sattwa_sattwa@web.de> wrote in message

> Hi, I configured a LAN (no DHCP)... one NT4-computer, one XPhome... trying
> to copy files from the XP- to the NT-computer will result in truncating
> filenames to old dos-format (8.3). What could be the reason for this? I
use
> the newest drivers (NT4SP6a + Updates). Is there a registry tweak to this
> (NetBIOS/tcpip-Setup)? The NT-computer on its own works fine using NTFS
and
> long filenames perfectly. The XP-computer-setup should be ok, I assume the
> problem is some kind of network setup within the NT4-computer... btw... I
> do NOT have NetBEUI installed as a protocol, just TCPIP. Could this be the
> reason? The connection actually is made "using NetBIOS over TCPIP" (says
> XP).
>
> Thanx
>
> CS

Hi,

> 1. Is the XP Home PC using NTFS?

Yes.

> 2. You don't need Netbios, just TCPIP.

Are you sure? Will the computers "find" each other? appear in the network
environment? what for is netbios then?

> 3. How are the files being copied across? Using XP Windows Explorer

Yes.

> or a third party app?

No.

> 4. Are u pushing or pulling the files from NT4? Ie. Are you initiating the
> copy from NT or from XP?

XP.

> 5. Are you copying or moving the files?

Both.

> I can't see it being a network problem if the files are going directly from
> one PC to the other.

I found these articles:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1025098223

Starting a new esplorer window will do, but is "annoying"... :))

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/41724/41724.html

gpedit.msc won't work in XP _HOME_, I assume, or is there any way to use it
there?

> Have u disabled all unnecessary services/applications
> on both first?

I think so, yes.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate. Sorry I can't help with your user login
problem.

CS

Another question, does it make a diff if the destination drive, on the WinNT
PC, is mapped or not?

--

> Hi,
>
> > 1. Is the XP Home PC using NTFS?
>
> Yes.
>
> > 2. You don't need Netbios, just TCPIP.
>
> Are you sure? Will the computers "find" each other? appear in the network
> environment? what for is netbios then?
>
> > 3. How are the files being copied across? Using XP Windows Explorer
>
> Yes.
>
> > or a third party app?
>
> No.
>
> > 4. Are u pushing or pulling the files from NT4? Ie. Are you initiating
the
> > copy from NT or from XP?
>
> XP.
>
> > 5. Are you copying or moving the files?
>
> Both.
>
> > I can't see it being a network problem if the files are going directly
from
> > one PC to the other.
>
> I found these articles:
>
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1025098223
>
> Starting a new esplorer window will do, but is "annoying"... :))
>
> http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/41724/41724.html
>
> gpedit.msc won't work in XP _HOME_, I assume, or is there any way to use
it
> there?
>
> > Have u disabled all unnecessary services/applications
> > on both first?
>
> I think so, yes.
>
> Thanks for your help, I appreciate. Sorry I can't help with your user
login
> problem.
>
> CS

> Another question, does it make a diff if the destination drive, on the WinNT
> PC, is mapped or not?

No, same thing.

Do you know what NetBios is for? and wether it is possible to use group
policies with XP home?

Thank you.

>>> 2. You don't need Netbios, just TCPIP.

>> Are you sure? Will the computers "find" each other? appear in the network
>> environment? what for is netbios then?

>> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1025098223
>> http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/41724/41724.html

>> gpedit.msc won't work in XP _HOME_, I assume, or is there any way to use
>> it there?

CS

Taken from : http://www.ehsco.com/reading/19960915ncw1.html

.....it was best to be able to locate a device with a broadcast rather than
with any sort of centralized registry or a distributed directory service.
NetBIOS was designed to use broadcasts as the sole means of locating
devices--and we have been stuck with this limitation to this day.