Samsung ML-2550

I was able to find a few posts from earlier this year about people
considering buying the ML-2550. I am currently looking at it, as it
offers duplex printing, which I would really like. Now that it's a few
months later, does anyone have any relevant experience to share
regarding this printer? Specifically, I am concerned that the low price
may result in a poorly manufactured duplex-printing mechanism, resulting
in the hassle and expense of repeated repairs. The specs on the printer
state it has a 100,000 page monthly duty cycle, but I don't know what
that is worth, and I cannot find MTBF listed anywhere.

I realize there is the issue with the memory being non-standard, and I
assume that is still a problem, but please tell me if not.

It seems like this printer has a really good list of features for a very
competitive price, but I cannot find any evidence that anyone is
actually buying this printer. Every online vendor I have searched has no
reviews written for this model. Furthermore, Samsung's website doesn't
even sell the replacement toner/drum modules. Do you think this is
caused by poor marketing, or is this a poor product?

Thank you,
Gabriel
5 answers Last reply
More about samsung 2550

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:41:33 GMT, Gabriel <gabriel.wachman@tufts.edu>
    wrote:

    >I was able to find a few posts from earlier this year about people
    >considering buying the ML-2550. I am currently looking at it, as it
    >offers duplex printing, which I would really like. Now that it's a few
    >months later, does anyone have any relevant experience to share
    >regarding this printer? Specifically, I am concerned that the low price
    >may result in a poorly manufactured duplex-printing mechanism, resulting

    Gabriel,

    I got a Samsung ML2150, actually a 2152W, about four months ago. I do
    almost all of my printing double-sided and the duplexer has been
    flawless, even with wrinkled up paper (bad supply?)

    >in the hassle and expense of repeated repairs. The specs on the printer
    >state it has a 100,000 page monthly duty cycle, but I don't know what
    >that is worth, and I cannot find MTBF listed anywhere.
    >
    >I realize there is the issue with the memory being non-standard, and I
    >assume that is still a problem, but please tell me if not

    It is still a problem, but the energy around that problem seems to
    have faded in this group. About two weeks ago, I posted a query
    asking about anyone's recent experience, but got no replies.

    If you check the archives for this group, you will see that there are
    two main issues for the _2150_ with third-party memory:

    1. printer reports memory as 256 MB, not 128 MB.

    2. one user reported that when he inserted the extra memory in his
    printer, postscript printing at 1200 dpi didn't work properly. When
    removed the extra memory, that printing option worked fine.

    >It seems like this printer has a really good list of features for a very
    >competitive price, but I cannot find any evidence that anyone is
    >actually buying this printer. Every online vendor I have searched has no

    Did you check sites like CNet? At that price and that performance,
    you have to expect that most buyers will be using these printers in
    offices, and won't necessarily be "usenet" types who post online
    reviews.

    >reviews written for this model. Furthermore, Samsung's website doesn't
    >even sell the replacement toner/drum modules. Do you think this is
    >caused by poor marketing, or is this a poor product?

    Piss-poor (excuse my Brooklynese) marketing. Samsung may make great
    products, but one way they keep prices low is to not spend lots on
    their website.

    >Thank you,
    >Gabriel

    Keith said:

    If it has a MTBF of 100,000 copies per month and I don't believe that a
    company such as this would lie, or extend numbers too much.

    Your concern is well noted and you (all of us) need to be very concerned in
    to-day's business climate and knowing as we do that business leaders do
    fudged numbers, but usually not 100,000, too much.

    Printers, because of their mechanics, need to come with at least a three
    year lockup in warranty, pay the extra for peace of mind. Very important
    check with friends and those who have had dealings with your printers
    manufacturer, (this is the most important step anyone can take) be cautious
    of the information scrapped from the web, people don't know who I am, I
    could just as well be someone that hates this manufacturer or I could be
    their salesman.

    One hundred thousand (100,000) copies duty cycle is no dead horse, that is
    good, my two printers one a duplexer 13x19 and one a 8 1/2x 11/14 is
    suggested at 5000 per month, don't I sound like a salesman, "well", I was,
    but not for this company.

    Good luck.

    Keith

    Winey wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:41:33 GMT, Gabriel <gabriel.wachman@tufts.edu>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I was able to find a few posts from earlier this year about people
    >>considering buying the ML-2550. I am currently looking at it, as it
    >>offers duplex printing, which I would really like. Now that it's a few
    >>months later, does anyone have any relevant experience to share
    >>regarding this printer? Specifically, I am concerned that the low price
    >>may result in a poorly manufactured duplex-printing mechanism, resulting
    >

    > Gabriel,
    >
    > I got a Samsung ML2150, actually a 2152W, about four months ago. I do
    > almost all of my printing double-sided and the duplexer has been
    > flawless, even with wrinkled up paper (bad supply?)
    >

    >>in the hassle and expense of repeated repairs. The specs on the printer
    >>state it has a 100,000 page monthly duty cycle, but I don't know what
    >>that is worth, and I cannot find MTBF listed anywhere.
    >>
    >>I realize there is the issue with the memory being non-standard, and I
    >>assume that is still a problem, but please tell me if not
    >

    > It is still a problem, but the energy around that problem seems to
    > have faded in this group. About two weeks ago, I posted a query
    > asking about anyone's recent experience, but got no replies.
    >
    > If you check the archives for this group, you will see that there are
    > two main issues for the _2150_ with third-party memory:
    >
    > 1. printer reports memory as 256 MB, not 128 MB.
    >
    > 2. one user reported that when he inserted the extra memory in his
    > printer, postscript printing at 1200 dpi didn't work properly. When
    > removed the extra memory, that printing option worked fine.
    >
    >>It seems like this printer has a really good list of features for a very
    >>competitive price, but I cannot find any evidence that anyone is
    >>actually buying this printer. Every online vendor I have searched has no
    >

    > Did you check sites like CNet? At that price and that performance,
    > you have to expect that most buyers will be using these printers in
    > offices, and won't necessarily be "usenet" types who post online
    > reviews.
    >

    >>reviews written for this model. Furthermore, Samsung's website doesn't
    >>even sell the replacement toner/drum modules. Do you think this is
    >>caused by poor marketing, or is this a poor product?
    >

    > Piss-poor (excuse my Brooklynese) marketing. Samsung may make great
    > products, but one way they keep prices low is to not spend lots on
    > their website.
    >

    >>Thank you,
    >>Gabriel

    Sorry about that last mis-post.

    Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea if the 2150 and 2152 have the
    same internals as the 2550? It's probably a good bet that the paper-path
    mechanism is the same exact machinery, but if you have evidence to the
    contrary, please let me know.

    Thanks again for the help.
    Gabriel

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 00:26:22 GMT, Gabriel <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >Sorry about that last mis-post.
    >
    >Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea if the 2150 and 2152 have the
    >same internals as the 2550? It's probably a good bet that the paper-path
    >mechanism is the same exact machinery, but if you have evidence to the
    >contrary, please let me know.

    Gabriel,

    I have no way to comment on your question one way or another. IF you
    could find repair/parts manuals for both printers, that would be a
    great way to answer the question. IF.

    Another way would be to look at both printers in the same place.
    Again, IF you can.

    I do agree that the basic design for the duplexer is probably common
    to both printers.

Printers Samsung Peripherals