Nvidia is buying out ATi

Now that this post has got your atention (sorry but no one was interested)

I bought a ProLink 6600GT AGP video card last year and as summer is coming on here (Australia) its now overheating, and also because im running more heavier games (battlefield 2) - in the games i played back then (mostly Battlefield 1942) i would see a max of 65ºc (nvidia drivers temp. monitor) where as battlefield 2 gets it beyond 80ºc and eventually 92ºc freezes my system.

The current cooler is basically a aliminium heatsink with a 5cm fan blowing across and iv checked everything - im using arctic silver v now on the gpu, iv cleaned the hsf and it still cops the high tempratures and now the hsf gets so hot it could burn fingers.

Heres the question - where can i get a new cooler for the card - it uses the wider mounting holes which is fair enough but what could i use to cool the agp bridge chip - would ram sinks hold/stick to it? what else could i use to cool it cause its kinda small to be using thermal tape?

Any other sugestions?

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I've had similar (and actually, I'm still having) problems with my 6800 GT.

Originally it would overheat in 3DMark only, last winter. It was getting quite toasty in there...

After removing both case sides it fixed itself, and dropped by about 15c overall. Granted you probably won't get such dramatic results since yours is starting below the temperature mine gets to occasionally still.

Now during the summer, and even up to now, it gets rather hot in Texas...
And the temperature inside the house is steady at about 80f. My 6800 GT started overheating in things like Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory, among other graphics intensive games.

During an all too short cold front, the temperature inside the house dropped to 70f, which was just enough to keep my videocard from overheating somehow. I have yet to do any actual custom cooling work inside my case. I've decided to wait until winter weather this year.

So if you want a quick fix, my two suggestions would be to open the case sides, and if that doesn't work well enough, keep your AC running. Granted the second one might be expensive enough to justify custom cooling...

There's always a cheap PCI fan if you want another easy way out.

I took the pannels off - it just delays it for a little bit longer (my case is cheap crap but the cooling is pretty decent), i underclocked the GPU from 500 to 400mhz and that kept it below 90, and as my solution im ordering a new zalman cooler (the newer bigger one, copper) and a zalman bridge chip cooler - i found a place that sells em so im lucky but its gona cost me $66 (AU) for both and shipping and that should keep the temps below 70 hopefully.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
With that zalman cooler and a quick dab of Artic silver 5....you should have your temps drop pretty decently.

you mean this one dont you?

if you do that should take care of any overheating.

Just make sure you have one fan as in and one fan as out.
I would use 120mm fans if i could...more volume of air at lower noise levels....but if you can't try to get 2in's and 2outs. that will give you quieter fans so you dont end up deaf.

yup - thats the one and yes, arctic silver v and that should keep it cold, what temps should that get in the end? and any one know how far i could clock a 6600GT?

And yeah - case cooling, 1x 8cm front fan, 2x 8cm rear fans and 1x 8cm pannel fan sucking in air directly to processor.