Sign in with
Your question

IBM NETVISTA ON-BOARD VIDEO

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 7, 2005 12:31:08 PM

The on-board video is toast. How do I install my new PCI card with no video or display? Thanks
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2005 12:56:57 PM

When in doubt contact the MFR, they can usually walk you through a BIOS change with flash cards.

I'm not sure if there's a special combination of CTRL+key to switch displays like there is with their laptops, it been a while since I've been on a Netvista.
November 7, 2005 4:10:52 PM

unplug the computer, open the case, insert pci video card in pci slot, close case, plug in monitor to video card, plug in power to computer, turn on computer.
You should have video. It will only be low resolution and color but enough to boot into windows which will either have drivers for it or you can install the driver that came with the video card.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2005 9:53:52 PM

So how is he going to have video if the BIOS is saying default device = onboard, and yet it's not working so won't display?

Gonna be pretty tough to navigate the BIOS selections (as limited as they are) without knowing where to go.

But sure just jam in a card and give it a try, why not? Never worked before, but there's always a first time.

Another alternative is figuring out the key combinations (using alt and tab) for windows display properties, since once windows is loaded it should recognize the PCI display, but won't display to it if it isn't enabled and selected. I've had to do that for botched driver installs, and I wouldn't recommend it for people not familiar with driving blind.
November 7, 2005 11:52:05 PM

Quote:
So how is he going to have video if the BIOS is saying default device = onboard, and yet it's not working so won't display?

Gonna be pretty tough to navigate the BIOS selections (as limited as they are) without knowing where to go.

But sure just jam in a card and give it a try, why not? Never worked before, but there's always a first time.

Another alternative is figuring out the key combinations (using alt and tab) for windows display properties, since once windows is loaded it should recognize the PCI display, but won't display to it if it isn't enabled and selected. I've had to do that for botched driver installs, and I wouldn't recommend it for people not familiar with driving blind.

The thing is...I though onboard video chips are usually apart of the North Bridge...so are you sure its just the onboard video?
!