water cooled XP 3200+??

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
:?:

Would it be worth water colling this CPU? XP 3200+ locked Barton, although I can OC to 12X200 for 2.4 on air w/ASUS A7N8x-E deluxe.

I wouldn't think so. You're best of saving the money, and if you plan to upgrade soon use it then.

^ I am assuming you're talking about the o/c aspects of water cooling, and not the silent side. If it is the latter then it is your choice really - how much does noise matter?~

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
This processor should not be locked, Check the L1 bridges if they are connected than it is not locked, the xp 3200 line was not suppose to be locked you are the first I have seen with one locked.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
/////This processor should not be locked, Check the L1 bridges if they are connected than it is not locked, the xp 3200 line was not suppose to be locked you are the first I have seen with one locked.

I was not aware that any of the Barton cores were left unlocked. I had a SOYO M/BD that would not OC the multiplier, but would OC the FSB. I currently have an ASUS M/BD that I can raise the mult to 12X but when I do I can not raise the FSB. It won't even boot up. I've raised Vc to 7.750 and the CPU runs in the high ~50Cs. Thus my question concerning water cooling.

However, I will check LI just to be sure, thou I thought it was L5 that was burned.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Yes, Water cooling would be helpfull with this system. The fsb 12 and lockup thing could be heat also it could be the Asus board are not the best for OCing I dont know yet.

In the bios disable fastwrites, also if you have a option of system performance in the bios you want fast, not turbo or ultra also in bios if option is available for halt on errors, enable no errors, or always on or could be labeled power on option. Now that this is set trun the fsb to 11 and the cpu multi to 200 and boot, if everthing is ok then start the oc by 1 or 2 mhz at a time. Ocing takes time its not like you crank it up to the max right off ,little at a time, play with the system for a bit and crank up more, saying that I use 3dmark 05 to test the output for ocing but you would'nt be able to bench with this becase of heat and that is where the water cooling would help,.