How can I access NTFS files using a DOS prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Workstation NT4.0 will not boot.I need to replace the
HAL.dll file. How can I access the NTFS files using a DOS
prompt?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Workstation NT4.0 will not boot.I need to replace the
> HAL.dll file. How can I access the NTFS files using a DOS
> prompt?

Alternatively, do a parallel install of NT on the system, or it might even
be easier to just pop the HD into another computer and copy it there.

"Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Workstation NT4.0 will not boot.I need to replace the
> HAL.dll file. How can I access the NTFS files using a DOS
> prompt?

The only program I've found that will write NTFS disks from a DOS
prompt is "ntfdos" from sysinternals. They have a freeware for read
only, but I think you need to write.

<http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfsdos.shtml>

Your other option is the freeware "Bart's PE Builder". It will create
a bootable CD that can read/write NTFS volumes.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

HTH,
John