Closed

How can I access NTFS files using a DOS prompt

Workstation NT4.0 will not boot.I need to replace the
HAL.dll file. How can I access the NTFS files using a DOS
prompt?
2 answers Last reply
More about access ntfs files prompt

    "Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > Workstation NT4.0 will not boot.I need to replace the
    > HAL.dll file. How can I access the NTFS files using a DOS
    > prompt?

    Alternatively, do a parallel install of NT on the system, or it might even
    be easier to just pop the HD into another computer and copy it there.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    "Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Workstation NT4.0 will not boot.I need to replace the
    > HAL.dll file. How can I access the NTFS files using a DOS
    > prompt?

    The only program I've found that will write NTFS disks from a DOS
    prompt is "ntfdos" from sysinternals. They have a freeware for read
    only, but I think you need to write.

    <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfsdos.shtml>

    Your other option is the freeware "Bart's PE Builder". It will create
    a bootable CD that can read/write NTFS volumes.

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    HTH,
    John

DOS NTFS Windows