Nov 8, 2005
Here is my system
Asus SLI-Deluxe
AMD Socket 939 3500+
(2)512 MB sticks of Corsair RAM
BFG 6600GT
(2) WD 32 GB Raptor Hard Drives
OCZ Power Supply

The problem started out that I would try to turn the computer on and get nothing more than a twitch out of my fans. Tech support at Asus had me send the motherboard back and accidentally sent me 2 in return but that still didnt solve the problem. Then I found that the system would start without the video card in place so I RMA's that as well. I just got the video card back yesterday, and the system still wont work properly.

I have tried it with both motherboards and here is what is happening:
The system turns on and I can hear everything running but I never get the BIOS screen. What is more, is that I can only turn the system off by throwing the main switch on the power supply....it wont turn off by holding the power button down. So what the hell is going on? Is this a processor problem now?

PluggedN

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
So you are not getting any beep codes at all, just silence and fan spinning?

First of all disconnect everything (even drives) except the video card and the ram, clear the CMOS and then make sure that the cpu, video card is seated good and then try to power up....If no luck then:

1) The first thing you want to do is try to boot using just one memory stick at a time. One of the memory sticks could be bad so do that and see if you have bad stick of ram.

2) If it still wont boot take the board out of the case and place it on the static bag it came in and hook everything up as it was in step 1. This will remove the possibility of a ground short in your case.

3) If it still wont work after step 2 &3 then it is narrowed down to a bad cpu, or power supply(which I doubt is the problem since the fans are spinning).

Good luck dude

DerUberminch

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2005
Nope....no beep codes at all.

I already took the motherboard out and did that....I figured it would be the processor after all that, but was hoping that someone would come up with something else.

The video card was definitely bad....kind of weird that the processor would be bad now too unless i did something wrong in putting the processor/fan on the new board. It's been almost two months between the two RMAs so I am having serious withdrawal problems.

At least I got a second Asus SLI Deluxe motherboard for free out of it :lol:

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
well you said you just got a TWITCH out of the fans? no clue what that means... but set it up and try to power up a Optical Drive and see if it opens, etc...

i don't have that mobo but here's a few things you mighta over looked.

1- That's an SLI board.. check to see if there's a special jumper to select to only use 1.

2- Take HSF off and look at CPU, see if it's burnt or something. and while doing this, check the thermal compound... see if it looks like it was on there correctly.

3- Try to just powerup and hookup what you need just to start up... example, 1 mem, 1 HD, 1 Optic drive.

4- like said above, try the memory 1 at a time, but also switch memory slots as well. try a various combination.

5 - during all these steps and boot up processes... look at the HSF make sure it's spinning and make sure it's actually even Powerd up and everything.. (you never know)

6- and the obviously .. triple check all cabling.

hope this helps you man.

DerUberminch

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2005
well you said you just got a TWITCH out of the fans? no clue what that means... but set it up and try to power up a Optical Drive and see if it opens, etc...

i don't have that mobo but here's a few things you mighta over looked.

1- That's an SLI board.. check to see if there's a special jumper to select to only use 1.

2- Take HSF off and look at CPU, see if it's burnt or something. and while doing this, check the thermal compound... see if it looks like it was on there correctly.

3- Try to just powerup and hookup what you need just to start up... example, 1 mem, 1 HD, 1 Optic drive.

4- like said above, try the memory 1 at a time, but also switch memory slots as well. try a various combination.

5 - during all these steps and boot up processes... look at the HSF make sure it's spinning and make sure it's actually even Powerd up and everything.. (you never know)

6- and the obviously .. triple check all cabling.

hope this helps you man.

1)done and that is the default setting

2)processor looks perfect

3)I have tried the basic hookup out of the case to eliminate a case short as a problem and still no beeps or anything. The mobo has been RMAd as well as the video card. I have also tested each stick of RAM alone

4)done

5)all fans are working normally and receiving power

6)have disconnected and reconnected everything several times

I appreciate the suggestions. Before I attempt to RMA the processor, does anybody know what the chances are that this is a power supply problem? Is it significant that it that the power switches on properly, but that I cant turn it off with the power button? I have to throw the switch on the power supply itself to turn the computer off.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
if you can't shut down by the button... that's a mobo problem as well maybe....

cause the case signal from the button goes from .. button, to mobo, to psu.. it could be both you never know.

Stuff happens..

good luck..

PluggedN

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Na not a motherboard problem...I would highly doubt that.....especially since its been replaced several times.....Ive had systems do the same thing to me for no reason on install before when ive had a bad component

Possible issues:
1. Bad mobo
2. Bad power: insufficient PSU, not connected properly or bad PSU. Try another PSU and check all cabling.
3. Bad power switch: can try shorting the pins for the switch on the mobo with a screwdriver to eliminate this)
4. Mobo is grounded.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
never ever rule out the chances of Multiple MOBO problems.... i have had it done to me... A bad ASUS, then a bad MSI, i was so aggrevated.

anyway.... any new status?