how does NT remove old licenses?

In an NT 4 domain, once a computer connects in a per seat
basis, is the license there permanetly unless manually
removed? I see in License Manager a ton of old
users/licenses but not sure which ones to delete.
Suggestions please!

The license logging service does not work as expected. Stop and disable it
and keep track of your licenses manually as if in per seat mode. License
logging service is not needed and stopping it affects nothing.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"NAN" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In an NT 4 domain, once a computer connects in a per seat
> basis, is the license there permanetly unless manually
> removed? I see in License Manager a ton of old
> users/licenses but not sure which ones to delete.
> Suggestions please!

multiple licenses at 1 time rather than on a user by user
basis? How tedious!
Thanks.

Not sure what to tell you other than the License logging service does not
work. You can revoke the licenses if you want, but they will reappear later
on. You can delete the licenses, but they will reappear later on. You can
use a reg hack to reset the licenses to zero and start over from scratch,
but the first time you revoke/ delete a license it will re appear later on.
As long as it is running it will count licenses wrong and produce errors in
event viewer.

I guess you could use the reg hack to reset the licenses to zero, then enter
your licenses again and instead of revoking /deleting licenses when a user
leaves, use the reg hack to reset the licenses to zero and re enter the
licenses again.

Seems like a lot of effort to keep the license logging service running. I
really believe you would be better off turning it off and using a pen and
paper to keep track of the licenses. Especially if you consider it was an
after thought add on app solely for the convenience of the Admin. It never
worked right from day one and they are *never* going to fix it.

> [...]

may try MS Article 194065. Have you ever tried this?

Seems like they set up an automated way to re set the license logging
service through out the enterprise without going to each server running the
license logging service.

This is what I was talking about when I mentioned a reg hack to reset the
license logging service to none, then you have to re enter your licenses.
Yes this is automated, but the original problem is still there, the license
logging service just plain does not work.
The Major problem with the LL service is that revoked/deleted users keep re
appearing months after being delete/revoked. When they re appear they are
taking up licenses. The *Only* way to keep deleted/revoked licenses from re
appearing and taking up licenses it to re set the license logging service
and start over and re add the license information.

You would have to re set the license logging service *instead* of deleting
or revoking a license.

NAN wrote:

> [...]

License Manager does not work - period !
The only solution is to stop using it.

If you work for some half-wit that insists that you use
License Manager, then I you'll either have to put up with
that idiot or start working somewhere else.

You can do more accurately with even just pencil and paper
in far less time than you would have to spend on constantly
trying to correct License Managers errors.