Daylight Savings Date BUG

Does anyone know how to disable Windows NT/2000/XP from changing the Date/Time
Stamps of the file system when the "Automatically adjust clock for daylight
savings changes" is on?

I do like the auto time change, but why in the world does have to change the
data/time stamps on every file on the drive? It really screws up my back-up
system.

In case you haven't seen this in action, try this:

1) Bring up the File Explore in Windows.
2) Bring up the Date/Time Properties window.
3) Click on the "Time Zone" tab.
4) Check (or uncheck) the "Automatically adjust clock for daylight savings
changes" check box.
6) Notice that every time stamp, on every file, has been changed by one hour.

Question: Why should a file saved on Friday at 5pm (before daylight savings)
display a time of 6pm on Monday morning? IMO, it shouldn't.... Looks like a bug
to me.

TIA,
-Steve-
2 answers Last reply
More about daylight savings date

    "Steve Zimmelman" <sk_z@psi_med.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know how to disable Windows NT/2000/XP from changing the
    Date/Time
    > Stamps of the file system when the "Automatically adjust clock for
    daylight
    > savings changes" is on?

    Knowledge Base

    Time Stamp Changes with Daylight SavingsPSS ID Number: 129574

    Article Last Modified on 5/6/2003
    ----

    Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
    Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.1
    Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.5
    Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
    Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
    Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.1
    Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.5
    Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
    Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
    Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server

    ----

    SUMMARY
    When Windows NT automatically adjusts for daylight savings time, the times
    on files on Windows NT file system (NTFS) partitions and the events in the
    event logs are retroactively shifted by one hour, even though the files and
    event records were created before the daylight savings time change.

    NOTE: To configure Windows NT to automatically adjust for daylight savings
    time, run Control Panel, choose Date/Time, and select "Automatically Adjust
    for Daylight Saving Time."
    MORE INFORMATION
    This behavior occurs because of the way that Windows NT stores time
    information. All times displayed in Windows NT for event log events and
    files on NTFS partitions are computed as offsets to Greenwich Mean Time
    (GMT). When you set the time on your system, you are setting the value for
    GMT. When you select your local time zone for the system, the appropriate
    number of hours are added or subtracted to the stored GMT value. This
    adjusted time is displayed. When "Automatically Adjust for Daylight Saving
    Time" is selected, an additional hour is added to GMT during daylight
    savings time (the first Sunday in April through the last Sunday in October).

    If you are viewing another machine remotely across one or more time zones
    through Event Viewer, the times for events on the remote system appear
    relative to your local time. In other words, if you are viewing an event
    remotely that actually occurred at 8:00 PM Central Daylight Time, the time
    displayed for the event on your computer will be 6:00 PM when you view the
    event from the Pacific Daylight Time zone.

    When Windows95 or Windows NT clients access network resources they are
    passed the GMT time of the file stored on the NTFS partition. When the
    client recieves the time stamp in GMT they then adjust the time stamp (+)
    plus or (-) minus the time zone they are set for.

    In the case of WINDOWS NT - it also adjusts for daylight savings time and
    displays the file's time stamp for the correct local time including Daylight
    Savings Time setting.

    In the case of WINDOWS95 - The time returned by the file system is not
    adjusted for Daylight Savings Time. This feature is by design, and was
    implemented to work with servers such as NetWare that do not support the
    Daylight Savings time APIs and time functions in Windows 95. In this case
    the files will display off by one hour. this is BY DESIGN for WINDOWS95
    clients.
    Additional query words: prodnt day light

    Technology: kbwin2000AdvServ kbwin2000AdvServSearch kbwin2000DataServ
    kbwin2000DataServSearch kbwin2000Pro kbwin2000ProSearch kbwin2000Search
    kbwin2000Serv kbwin2000ServSearch kbWinAdvServSearch kbWinDataServSearch
    kbWinNT310Search kbWinNT350search kbWinNT351search kbWinNT400search
    kbWinNTAdvSerSearch kbWinNTS310 kbWinNTS310search kbWinNTS350
    kbWinNTS350search kbWinNTS351 kbWinNTS351search kbWinNTS400
    kbWinNTS400search kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTW310 kbWinNTW310Search
    kbWinNTW350 kbWinNTW350search kbWinNTW351 kbWinNTW351search kbWinNTW400
    kbWinNTW400search kbWinNTWsearch

    ----

    Send feedback to Microsoft

    © 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Thanks. In other words, MS says it's a "feature" not a bug. I guess it might be
    for some, but not to me or my customers.

    -Steve-

    "Brian" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> wrote in message
    "Steve Zimmelman" <sk_z@psi_med.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know how to disable Windows NT/2000/XP from changing the
    Date/Time
    > Stamps of the file system when the "Automatically adjust clock for
    daylight
    > savings changes" is on?

    Knowledge Base

    Time Stamp Changes with Daylight SavingsPSS ID Number: 129574

    Article Last Modified on 5/6/2003
    ----
    The information in this article applies to: ...

Windows