Network Printing

I have the following:

1) Host computer. Name is DELL and WORKGROUP is HOME
2) 2nd computer. Name is JONATHAN and same workgroup.

I have setup a network printer as:
LOCATION: \\HOME\Printer
and setup same on the 2nd computer.
Neither computer can find this printer.
Should it be DELL instead of HOME? (But have tried it also)Thanks for any
help...
Regards,
GMT
--
GMT

If the printer is connected directly (USB or parallel cable) to Dell, then
you configure a local printer on Dell; share it; and on Jonathan configure a
network printer called: \\DELL\PrinterShareName

If this is a printer with a builtin ethernet connection, you configure both
computers with a local printer using a TCP/IP port with the IP address of
the printer.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"GMT" <GMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the following:
>
> 1) Host computer. Name is DELL and WORKGROUP is HOME
> 2) 2nd computer. Name is JONATHAN and same workgroup.
>
> I have setup a network printer as:
> LOCATION: \\HOME\Printer
> and setup same on the 2nd computer.
> Neither computer can find this printer.
> Should it be DELL instead of HOME? (But have tried it also)Thanks for any
> help...
> Regards,
> GMT
> --
> GMT

Doug,
Thanks for the info - but I'm not quite there yet...

The local printer on DELL shows port = USB001

When I add a printer on JONATHAN, it says if this is a newtwork printer
without a print server, select local during the add. When I do this, the only
ports that are availble on the following display are LPT1 and COM1, etc. How
do I synch the ports?
--
GMT

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

> If the printer is connected directly (USB or parallel cable) to Dell, then
> you configure a local printer on Dell; share it; and on Jonathan configure a
> network printer called: \\DELL\PrinterShareName
>
> If this is a printer with a builtin ethernet connection, you configure both
> computers with a local printer using a TCP/IP port with the IP address of
> the printer.
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> "GMT" <GMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have the following:
> >
> > 1) Host computer. Name is DELL and WORKGROUP is HOME
> > 2) 2nd computer. Name is JONATHAN and same workgroup.
> >
> > I have setup a network printer as:
> > LOCATION: \\HOME\Printer
> > and setup same on the 2nd computer.
> > Neither computer can find this printer.
> > Should it be DELL instead of HOME? (But have tried it also)Thanks for any
> > help...
> > Regards,
> > GMT
> > --
> > GMT

USB001 is the typical port for a local USB printer.

1. On Dell click Start/Printers and Faxes. Right click on the printer icon
and select Properties. Click the Sharing tab. Make sure the Share this
printer box is checked and write down the share name. Once the printer is
shared, Dell is a print server.

2. On Jonathan click Start/Run Printers and Faxes. Click Add a printer,
and the wizard will start. Select Network printer, NEXT. Select Connect to
this printer, and type: \\dell\ShareNameYouWroteDownIn#1.

3. If #2 does not work, determine the IP address of Dell; and try:
\\IPofDell\ShareNameYouWroteDownIn#1.

> Doug,
> Thanks for the info - but I'm not quite there yet...
>
> The local printer on DELL shows port = USB001
>
> When I add a printer on JONATHAN, it says if this is a newtwork printer
> without a print server, select local during the add. When I do this, the
only
> ports that are availble on the following display are LPT1 and COM1, etc.
How
> do I synch the ports?
> --
> GMT
>

> "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > If the printer is connected directly (USB or parallel cable) to Dell,
then
> > you configure a local printer on Dell; share it; and on Jonathan
configure a
> > network printer called: \\DELL\PrinterShareName
> >
> > If this is a printer with a builtin ethernet connection, you configure
both
> > computers with a local printer using a TCP/IP port with the IP address
of
> > the printer.
> >
> > Doug Sherman
> > MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
> >
> > "GMT" <GMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have the following:
> > >
> > > 1) Host computer. Name is DELL and WORKGROUP is HOME
> > > 2) 2nd computer. Name is JONATHAN and same workgroup.
> > >
> > > I have setup a network printer as:
> > > LOCATION: \\HOME\Printer
> > > and setup same on the 2nd computer.
> > > Neither computer can find this printer.
> > > Should it be DELL instead of HOME? (But have tried it also)Thanks for
any
> > > help...
> > > Regards,
> > > GMT
> > > --
> > > GMT

Thanks Doug - I had to use the IP address, but it now works...
--
GMT