Folders & Files from Nowhere...Won't delete

I have 2 folders on my secondary or slave hard drive.
They just appeared last week. Nothing of note happened to
cause them that I am aware of. Keep my Antivirus Program
up to date and on at all times. They will not delete,
won't open and have gobbledygook names that are
combinations of letters and symbols....mostly symbols.

I also have a file that is 4,109,762 KBs and it, too, has
an unreadable name and won't delete. HELP.......

Thank you.
1 answer Last reply
More about folders files nowhere delete

    Gretsky wrote:

    > I have 2 folders on my secondary or slave hard drive.
    > They just appeared last week. Nothing of note happened to
    > cause them that I am aware of. Keep my Antivirus Program
    > up to date and on at all times. They will not delete,
    > won't open and have gobbledygook names that are
    > combinations of letters and symbols....mostly symbols.
    >
    > I also have a file that is 4,109,762 KBs and it, too, has
    > an unreadable name and won't delete. HELP.......
    >
    > Thank you.

    In a CMD console window, change to the parent directory of
    the directories in question and do 'dir /x' to find the short
    (8.3) names. Then copy and paste the names to remove the
    directories and delete the files.

    del (paste the 8.3 file name here)
    rd /s /q (past the 8.3 directory name here)

    --
    Phil Robyn
    Univ. of California, Berkeley

    u n z i p m y a d d r e s s t o s e n d e - m a i l

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows