SP2 RTM - only 180 day license?

Anybody else notice the 180 license in the SP 2 RTM license agreement?

Click Run, type winver click Ok. Click the End User License Agreement
hyperlink.

Joe

Joe727 wrote:
> Anybody else notice the 180 license in the SP 2 RTM license agreement?
>
> Click Run, type winver click Ok. Click the End User License
> Agreement hyperlink.

I think you are seeing things - or you didn't install the RTM.

Nothing like that in the EULA I am looking at - on any of the machines I
have installed it on. Nothing about 180, one hundred eighty or anything
similar.

--
<- Shenan ->

Here's a screenshot:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/jbmsbink/SP2%20EULA.jpg

Joe

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> Joe727 wrote:
>> Anybody else notice the 180 license in the SP 2 RTM license agreement?
>>
>> Click Run, type winver click Ok. Click the End User License
>> Agreement hyperlink.
>
> I think you are seeing things - or you didn't install the RTM.
>
> Nothing like that in the EULA I am looking at - on any of the machines I
> have installed it on. Nothing about 180, one hundred eighty or anything
> similar.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> --
> The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
> completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
> kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
> advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.

You have a "Pre Release" version. Not the full SP2
Just read the screen shot you posted.

Did you notice the prefix in front of the word 'release'?

In news:%23Vaw7LufEHA.236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> typed:

> Here's a screenshot:
>
> http://home.cfl.rr.com/jbmsbink/SP2%20EULA.jpg

Not everyone has this. I don't, for example. Apparently those who
installed over earlier versions have this there, but those who
didn't, don't.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
>> Joe727 wrote:
>>> Anybody else notice the 180 license in the SP 2 RTM license
>>> agreement?
>>> Click Run, type winver click Ok. Click the End User
>>> License
>>> Agreement hyperlink.
>>
>> I think you are seeing things - or you didn't install the RTM.
>>
>> Nothing like that in the EULA I am looking at - on any of the
>> machines I have installed it on. Nothing about 180, one
>> hundred
>> eighty or anything similar.
>>
>> --
>> <- Shenan ->
>> --
>> The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
>> completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties
>> of any
>> kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you
>> take
>> any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your
>> actions.

I have the RTM of SP2, and I have the 180 day license thing in my EULA :S

--
Paul Cyr

-----

The Debate Continues... www.xvsxp.com

Protect Yourself and Others in 6 Simple Steps...
http://davechalkconnected.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1802
-----

Joe727 wrote:
> Here's a screenshot:
>
> http://home.cfl.rr.com/jbmsbink/SP2%20EULA.jpg

Well, since your screenshot not only clearly states "Prerelease version" as
well as the version is not the 2180 of the RTM, I again state - and with
your proof in hand - that you have installed the PRE-RELEASE and not the
OFFICIAL "Released to Manufacturing" Service Pack 2. (Build 2180)

It's great when people post pictures to prove my point for me. *grin*

Get the real thing next time:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

or

http://snipurl.com/8bqy

Good Luck to you!

--
<- Shenan ->

Joe727 wrote:
> Here's a screenshot:
>
> http://home.cfl.rr.com/jbmsbink/SP2%20EULA.jpg

Also - no matter WHAT Microsoft says - I would UNINSTALL the prerelease
versions FIRST before installing the Full Release. Why take the chance?

--
<- Shenan ->

I absolutely concur about first uninstalling a pre-release version even when
Microsoft the version you have is an approved installation path. However,
we are seeing this anomaly on most systems wherein a legit version of RTM
SP2 was installed over a pre-release version approved for upgrade to SP2.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User) wrote:
> I absolutely concur about first uninstalling a pre-release version
> even when Microsoft the version you have is an approved installation
> path. However, we are seeing this anomaly on most systems wherein a
> legit version of RTM SP2 was installed over a pre-release version
> approved for upgrade to SP2.

Yeah - I read a little more and came back to add this part because it did
seem to be a more common problem than I would have thought - surprising it
would not overwrite the EULA!

--
<- Shenan ->

It surprised the heck out of us, too!:)

--

> Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User) wrote:
>> I absolutely concur about first uninstalling a pre-release version
>> even when Microsoft the version you have is an approved installation
>> path. However, we are seeing this anomaly on most systems wherein a
>> legit version of RTM SP2 was installed over a pre-release version
>> approved for upgrade to SP2.
>
> Yeah - I read a little more and came back to add this part because it did
> seem to be a more common problem than I would have thought - surprising it
> would not overwrite the EULA!
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> --
> The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
> completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
> kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
> advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.

So do we need to uninstall SP2, then reinstall or is there anything we
should be concerned about.

--
Good Day
Haus

> In news:%23Vaw7LufEHA.236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> typed:
>
>> Here's a screenshot:
>>
>> http://home.cfl.rr.com/jbmsbink/SP2%20EULA.jpg
>

> Not everyone has this. I don't, for example. Apparently those who
> installed over earlier versions have this there, but those who didn't,
> don't.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I think you are seeing things - or you didn't install the RTM.
>>>
>>> Nothing like that in the EULA I am looking at - on any of the
>>> machines I have installed it on. Nothing about 180, one hundred
>>> eighty or anything similar.
>>>
>>> --
>>> <- Shenan ->
>>> --
>>> The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
>>> completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
>>> kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take
>>> any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.

Hi Joe
I can't say I'm seeing that on any of my machines here, have you upgraded on
the final build over the top of an evaluation beta or release candidate
version?

Mark

"Joe727" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Anybody else notice the 180 license in the SP 2 RTM license agreement?
>
> Click Run, type winver click Ok. Click the End User License Agreement
> hyperlink.
>
> Joe

Hi Mark.

Hmmm...

My EULA says that, too. I had downloaded SP2 RTM from MSDN on 8/6/04,
burned a CD from that, and installed SP2 from that CD, without first
uninstalling Build 2149 (RC1).

The WinVer screen says:
"Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 : Service Pack 2)"

And the EULA starts:
"180 Day License

"Prerelease Version of Service Pack 2 for
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Home,
Media Center, or Tablet PC Edition"

Where did you get your copy of SP2 RTM, Joe?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Mark Salloway" <fatherjack@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Joe
> I can't say I'm seeing that on any of my machines here, have you upgraded
> on the final build over the top of an evaluation beta or release candidate
> version?
>
> Mark
>
> "Joe727" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> Anybody else notice the 180 license in the SP 2 RTM license agreement?
>>
>> Click Run, type winver click Ok. Click the End User License Agreement
>> hyperlink.
>>
>> Joe

Mine says the same, 180 day license.
I downloaded SP2 from here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

--
Hope This Helps
Haus

"R. C. White" <RCWhite@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi Mark.
>
> Hmmm...
>
> My EULA says that, too. I had downloaded SP2 RTM from MSDN on 8/6/04,
> burned a CD from that, and installed SP2 from that CD, without first
> uninstalling Build 2149 (RC1).
>
> The WinVer screen says:
> "Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 : Service Pack 2)"
>
> And the EULA starts:
> "180 Day License
>
> "Prerelease Version of Service Pack 2 for
> Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Home,
> Media Center, or Tablet PC Edition"
>
> Where did you get your copy of SP2 RTM, Joe?
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Mark Salloway" <fatherjack@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Joe
>> I can't say I'm seeing that on any of my machines here, have you upgraded
>> on the final build over the top of an evaluation beta or release
>> candidate version?
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> "Joe727" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>> Anybody else notice the 180 license in the SP 2 RTM license agreement?
>>>
>>> Click Run, type winver click Ok. Click the End User License Agreement
>>> hyperlink.
>>>
>>> Joe

Hi Michael - so, the EULA simply wasn't overwritten when I installed the SP2
RTM? BTW, I downloaded the RTM from the Microsoft IT website.

Joe

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
message news:uBDnZAxfEHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I absolutely concur about first uninstalling a pre-release version even
>when Microsoft the version you have is an approved installation path.
>However, we are seeing this anomaly on most systems wherein a legit version
>of RTM SP2 was installed over a pre-release version approved for upgrade to
>SP2.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
>> Joe727 wrote:
>>> Here's a screenshot:
>>>
>>> http://home.cfl.rr.com/jbmsbink/SP2%20EULA.jpg
>>

>> Also - no matter WHAT Microsoft says - I would UNINSTALL the prerelease
>> versions FIRST before installing the Full Release. Why take the chance?
>>
>> --
>> <- Shenan ->
>> --
>> The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
>> completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
>> kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
>> advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.

It appears not to matter from where you downloaded it, as long as it is
legit. The problem seems to appear when a user has installed over a beta
build even if it was an approved upgrade path to RTM.

The RTM EULA is there, it's just not linked to the box that appears when you
use winver to determine your version.

--

> Hi Michael - so, the EULA simply wasn't overwritten when I installed the
> SP2 RTM? BTW, I downloaded the RTM from the Microsoft IT website.
>
> Joe
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
> message news:uBDnZAxfEHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>I absolutely concur about first uninstalling a pre-release version even
>>when Microsoft the version you have is an approved installation path.
>>However, we are seeing this anomaly on most systems wherein a legit
>>version of RTM SP2 was installed over a pre-release version approved for
>>upgrade to SP2.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Also - no matter WHAT Microsoft says - I would UNINSTALL the prerelease
>>> versions FIRST before installing the Full Release. Why take the chance?
>>>
>>> --
>>> <- Shenan ->
>>> --
>>> The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
>>> completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
>>> kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
>>> advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.

That's exactly what I want to know.

Joe

"Haus" <youknow@Iwillslapyou> wrote in message
> So do we need to uninstall SP2, then reinstall or is there anything we
> should be concerned about.
>
> --
> Good Day
> Haus

>> In news:%23Vaw7LufEHA.236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> typed:
>>
>>> Here's a screenshot:
>>>
>>> http://home.cfl.rr.com/jbmsbink/SP2%20EULA.jpg
>>

>> Not everyone has this. I don't, for example. Apparently those who
>> installed over earlier versions have this there, but those who didn't,
>> don't.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message

Well, no one has had it yet for 180 days so we really don't know for sure
what's going to happen. I can tell you that several MVPs have this issue
and thus far none of those with whom I have contact are uninstalling. We've
done some checks on those systems of the properties of Kernel32.dll where
Version should be 5.1.2500.2180 and the versions appear correct. No one
thus far is having any issues as a result of this.

--

> That's exactly what I want to know.
>
> Joe
>
> "Haus" <youknow@Iwillslapyou> wrote in message
>> So do we need to uninstall SP2, then reinstall or is there anything we
>> should be concerned about.
>>
>> --
>> Good Day
>> Haus
>>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:%23Vaw7LufEHA.236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>>> Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> typed:

>>> Not everyone has this. I don't, for example. Apparently those who
>>> installed over earlier versions have this there, but those who didn't,
>>> don't.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

In news:u6w8YlyfEHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User) <user@#notme.com>
typed:

> Well, no one has had it yet for 180 days so we really don't
> know for
> sure what's going to happen. I can tell you that several MVPs
> have
> this issue and thus far none of those with whom I have contact
> are
> uninstalling. We've done some checks on those systems of the
> properties of Kernel32.dll where Version should be
> 5.1.2500.2180 and

Michael, a typo, I assume. That should be 5.1.2600.2180.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Yes, over SP2 RC2 21.49 Beta.

Joe

"Mark Salloway" <fatherjack@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Joe
> I can't say I'm seeing that on any of my machines here, have you upgraded
> on the final build over the top of an evaluation beta or release candidate
> version?
>
> Mark
>
> "Joe727" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> Anybody else notice the 180 license in the SP 2 RTM license agreement?
>>
>> Click Run, type winver click Ok. Click the End User License Agreement
>> hyperlink.
>>
>> Joe

That's where I downloaded from as well.

> Mine says the same, 180 day license.
> I downloaded SP2 from here
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en
>
> --
> Hope This Helps
> Haus
> Good Luck
>

> "R. C. White" <RCWhite@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Mark.
>>
>> Hmmm...
>>
>> My EULA says that, too. I had downloaded SP2 RTM from MSDN on 8/6/04,
>> burned a CD from that, and installed SP2 from that CD, without first
>> uninstalling Build 2149 (RC1).
>>
>> The WinVer screen says:
>> "Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 : Service Pack 2)"
>>
>> And the EULA starts:
>> "180 Day License
>>
>> "Prerelease Version of Service Pack 2 for
>> Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Home,
>> Media Center, or Tablet PC Edition"
>>
>> Where did you get your copy of SP2 RTM, Joe?
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> rc@corridor.net
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>>
>> "Mark Salloway" <fatherjack@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Joe
>>> I can't say I'm seeing that on any of my machines here, have you
>>> upgraded on the final build over the top of an evaluation beta or
>>> release candidate version?
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>>> "Joe727" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

Yeah, I copied that from a message by one of our cohorts and just blazed a
long without checking.

Sorry.

--

> In news:u6w8YlyfEHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
> Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User) <user@#notme.com> typed:
>
>> Well, no one has had it yet for 180 days so we really don't know for
>> sure what's going to happen. I can tell you that several MVPs have
>> this issue and thus far none of those with whom I have contact are
>> uninstalling. We've done some checks on those systems of the
>> properties of Kernel32.dll where Version should be 5.1.2500.2180 and
>

> Michael, a typo, I assume. That should be 5.1.2600.2180.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Here is my screen shot of the final RTM of SP2 that was installed over a
beta version of SP2 http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/sp2eula.jpg

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp