Dual Proccessor, gamer friendly?

Mugification

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
hi, a friend of mine is looking to get his pc up to par with some of the more recent games, such as battlefield 2, call of duty 2, and world of warcraft. now, another friend is offering a comp with 2 pentium III (pretty sure on the III) 533mhz processors on a dual proccessor mobo, with 512 ram in there for free. for budget purposes, i suggest he put in a radeon 9600 256mb, the only part missing from the comp. now he's asking me if they'll do well with those games and ones coming after them (not with high quality expectations, of course), and i didn't know what to tell him except "dual processors aren't just adding the two speeds together". my question is do newer games like the ones listed take advantage of dual cpus or not? if not, what do you suggest he do? thanks in advance!

julius

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
those two processors and that video card dont stand a chance. even if the speeds of the processors was actually combined, that system still wouldnt have a chance. no current games utilize dual processors or dual cores, in fact it messes around with some games as it confuses them until you set the processor affinity. your friend needs a new system if he wants to play those games with no less than a 6600gt or an equivalent.

Mugification

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
hmm, that seems like kind of an overstatement on the vid card considering i was able to play bf2 on a radeon 9600se 128, but thanks for the confirmation on the processors, kinda figured it wouldnt work :( thanks anyways!

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
When is someone going to make a sticky to answer all the noob questions about dualcore and what its for!

Dual core is for running multiple threads whether it be a single applications with multi-threads or mutiple applications with a single thread!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
When is someone going to make a sticky to answer all the noob questions about dualcore and what its for!
And when is clob going to actually learn to read first? Mugification did say, "another friend is offering a comp with 2 pentium III (pretty sure on the III) 533mhz processors on a dual proccessor mobo". :tongue: