Failed to detect new hard drive

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 14, 2004 10:47:03 AM

I am tyring to get NT to recognise a new hard drive that
I have installed as a secondary slave. Does anyone know
how I would go about doing that?

Will
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 12:36:01 PM

When installing a new IDE hard drive on the same cable as another drive, you need to do four things:

1. Set the jumper on the existing drive to "Master".
2. Set the jumper on the new drive to "Slave".
3. Make sure that you orient the ribbon cable properly. The red stripe on the cable marks pin 1, and must face the power plug on the drive.
4. Make sure that both the ribbon cable and the power connector are firmly seated on both drives.

These steps assume that you are using a flat ribbon cable to connect the drives. If the cable you are using has a small twisted section between the two drive connectors, then it is a "cable select" cable. In this case, set both drives' jumpers to "Cable Select", and plug the master drive into the end of the cable, and the slave drive into the middle of the cable.

With either cable type, make sure you orient it properly (per step 3 above).

Once you have the drive(s) connected properly, check the BIOS to see if it recognizes the drive. Windows should recognize the drive if the BIOS does, and allow you to format it for NTFS.

If the BIOS sees the drive but Windows doesn't, then either you have misconfigured the master/slave settings on the drives (some BIOS's will still recognize misconfigured drives ... but Windows is more picky), or something is wrong with the drive. If the BIOS doesn't see the drive, then double-check your jumper settings and cable and power connections.

Ben

----- Will wrote: -----

I am trying to get NT to recognise a new hard drive that
I have installed as a secondary slave. Does anyone know
how I would go about doing that?

Will
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 12:59:17 PM

Have you assigned it a drive letter? What does Disk Administrator have to
say about it?

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Will" wrote:
|I am tyring to get NT to recognise a new hard drive that
| I have installed as a secondary slave. Does anyone know
| how I would go about doing that?
|
| Will
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 7:31:18 AM

Thank you very much for that, very useful

Will

!