Build A Computer

Any comments/suggestions? This computer is going to be used for gaming and work related stuff. I use ADOBE products, excel, word, dvd authoring, etc and all the latest games.

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 650 - LGA775 2MB L2 3.40 GHz 800 MHz Support EM64, Hyper threading BX80547PG3400F

Motherboard: P5ND2-SLI Deluxe

Graphics Card:EN6600GT/TD/128M/A PCIE GF6600GT TO DVI

Can't find a website for
Ram:x2 1.0GB DDR2 533 4-4-4 240P TS128MLQ64V5J

Hard Drive:x3 ST3250823AS SATA NCQ 250G 8MB 7200.8

The sound card is for recording, so don't worry about the sucky speakers
Sound Card: X-Fi Platinum

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5

Will this PSU be sufficent for all of these components?
PSU: Antec TPII-480Blue TrueBlue 2.0 480W ATX Power Supply

DVD ROM: ASUS DRW-1608P

Monitor: 19" Mitsubishi DV997FDB Black

Speakers: Inspire 2500 2.1 speakers

I want bother with a link
Speakers: Panasonic 1.44 Floppy Disk Drive

All comments and suggestions are welcome, except for things like "Intel Suck" and "Why not AMD? thanks in advance.

Just a note most of the parts here I can't change to a different brand because I am going direct through a warehouse price, which means much cheaper prices so like the motherboard, graphics card and DVD ROM have to be ASUS, etc. I am also 100% certain I want an Intel PC.
54 answers Last reply
More about build computer
  1. Looks like you've done your research on the parts you wanted, so you're not heading into this blind. Looks pretty good to me. One question though, why 3 Seagate 250GB drives?
  2. yea looks good dude
  3. I guess i am puzzled about a few things....

Why are you getting a 6600GT if you want to play the latest games?

Why are you getting a X-fi Platinum?

My only reason for asking is this....
    Unless you have an extreme need for it you could get a cheaper sound card and upgrade your graphics card. You are getting cheaper speakers so you dont need the plat. X-fi.....personally for the speakers you are getting you could get the value Audgy2 if you HAVE to have a sound card. Otherwise just use onboard sound....that will save you about $180 retail so like $140 warehouse and that bumps up your graphics card pretty good

Also i know you dont want to hear this, but you could also lower your CPU a little and get a better graphics card as well.....

A 2.8Ghz P4 and a 6800GT/GS/X800XL would be better then a 3.4Ghz P4 witha a 6600GT.....see what i mean?

RESULTOF EVERYTHING I SAID
    If you dump the sound card and just use onboard sound (if you get better speakers later you can always add a sound card, onboard sound is pretty good and with those speakers you probably wont notice anything) and you add that money to your graphics card....Then downgrade what CPU you are getting till you can afford a 7800GT....maybe one step down from a 3.4->3.2 would give you enough in your budget.

3.2Ghz with a 7800GT with no sound card would be ATLEAST twice as fast as a 3.4Ghz with a sound card and 6600GT.....just how i would do it, thats justmy two cents.
  4. 3 seagates is alittle funny... i'd recommend that killer new Hitachi Drive 500GB.. and then maybe a raptor or something.

also correct again ... why a 6600 to play latest games? your gonna want something like the BFG oc' d 7800GTX..
  5. Hopefuly I can answer to all your questions and comments!

Quote:
    Looks like you've done your research on the parts you wanted, so you're not heading into this blind. Looks pretty good to me. One question though, why 3 Seagate 250GB drives?

Hard Drive #1 is for windows and it's programs and games.
    Hard Drive #2 is for personal stuff
    Hard Drive #3 dvd authoring (Yes I author a lot of stuff)

Note: I don't like partitions

Quote:
    Why are you getting a 6600GT if you want to play the latest games?

The 6600GT sufficent, I don't play games with the graphics turned right up or am I looking for the best FPS possilbe! I was going to get a 6800GT but the price difference was $253 and the price difference for the 7800GTX is $557 and I don't have that much money lying around! ;)

Quote:

Why are you getting a X-fi Platinum?

Quote:

Quote:
    Also i know you dont want to hear this, but you could also lower your CPU a little and get a better graphics card as well.....

Lowest CPU the warehouse has is a 3.2ghz and the difference in price between the 3.2ghz and 3.4ghz is $50.

EDIT: Quote
  6. No other suggestions anyone?
  7. Well i guess its your call.....but a 6600GT is pretty much the bottom of what most new game are playable. BF2, FEAR, Quake4, and so on.

In a year i doubt you will be happy with a 6600GT, what other cards can you get? You said you are going through wharehouse pricing....but the price for a 6800GS is $209 (same performance as the GT) on Newegg. I dont know the price you are getting for the 6600GT but i would assume around 135-150...you could drop your cpu for 50bucks and pick up a 6800GS.

Maybe save a littlemore and get a 7800GT, they are $319 on newegg right now.....if you search around you might find things a little lower but maybe not.

My advice, lower the cpu and buy the 6800GS for 209 from newegg or 199shipped from Mwave.com

You have your reasons for doing what you're doing....but this is what i would advise.
  8. Ok! Thanks a lot!
  9. Quote:
    3 seagates is alittle funny... i'd recommend that killer new Hitachi Drive 500GB.. and then maybe a raptor or something.

also correct again ... why a 6600 to play latest games? your gonna want something like the BFG oc' d 7800GTX..

Only because no one else mentioned it... Every IBM/Hitachi hard drive I have ever owned has died. My replacements have died. Every computer I have ever worked on (for family, friend, or business) with an IBM/Hitachi drive, the drive was dead in. Like clockwork, these things seem to love dieing. I have never had such a problem with any other brand hard drive. Western Digital (my fav) and Maxtor have both been pretty kind to me. I have only seen these die in very specific cases, and it isnt common. The only time I have seen a large group of WDs die was during the 6 months a few yrs back when they couldn't ship enough drives and rebranded some Hitachis... :(
  10. Yeah, I was looking into Maxtor then some people said have a look at the Seagate hard drives and what made me choose them was the 5-year warranty.

Quote:

DISC DRIVE LEADER SEAGATE INTRODUCES 5-YEAR WARRANTY ON ALL INTERNAL COMPUTER HARD DRIVES SHIPPED IN DISTRIBUTION AND RETAIL CHANNELS
  11. Food for thought: If you get a better Graphics card you can turn the settings up and really see the game for what it is. What you might not realize is that you aren't seeing everything when you don't have the settings on high. FEAR is a good example of that as is BF2 where paved roads with signs are dirt roads with the settings turned down. Different experience.
  12. True but I can live with it I have been playing on a 800mhz for over 5 years and have learnt to live with crappy graphics. Though if I can get a spare $250, the first thing I will be is a better graphics. But time will tell from when I order this thing! :p
  13. Quote:
    True but I can live with it I have been playing on a 800mhz for over 5 years and have learnt to live with crappy graphics. Though if I can get a spare $250, the first thing I will be is a better graphics. But time will tell from when I order this thing! :p

The 7800GT can be had for $320 so you are saying you can get the 6600GT for $70 (70 plus the 'extra' 250.)

Hell get a 6800GS....its 199.99 shipped. So you only need an extra $150

This whole thin about only chosing certain products and warehouse prices which we dont know...is all very weird because its hard to know if you should shift around your money that you are going to spend if we dont know the price breaks for everything.

Look at what everyone is saying, its all general stuff and its hard to be specific without telling you to shop at someplace like newegg where we can look up the prices.

one last thing, i am not allowed to ask "Why not AMD"
    Well let me ask this, why are you so set on intel? Is it the products you can get through warehouse? do you like intel as a company? Do you do work that intel's cpus are good at? or do you just like the idea of getting DDR2 RAM? i dont care i am just curious, you seem like you have a reason you dont want to tell anyone.
  14. Um about the prices I am Australian so I can't buy from Newegg or anything like that, plus the prices here in Australia are so much more expensive. Though I might be able to get more resellers so my options might open up eg Leadtek, Gigabyte, etc.

Ok, why I said I don't want to be asked about buying an AMD because these days, when you ask about getting a computer everyone says get an AMD with the response of "because they are better" or "because they are cheaper". No I haven't found them to be that much cheaper and personally I don't think they are better nor do I think Intel is better they both will/or have their flaws. I don't really care if an AMD/Intel can encode/decode something 4seconds faster. I have always been around Intel computers and they haven't failed me, so if your on something good, I don't see the reason to change it. Yes, if something does go wrong or AMD just steam ahead of Intel sure I'll change over but at the moment I am still sticking with Intel. By the way I have played and worked on many AMD computers and they are damn fine.

EDIT: Forgot to add, my friends also said to me that they had some problems with running games on an AMD when they ran perfectly on an Intel before. Back in the day I knew AMD had a massive compadability issue with software, etc. So I guess this has kind of made an effect on what CPU I choose. But I know it's changed from all these years.........
  15. ultimeately its your call...so you get what you want...

AMD does have some advantages, which i'm sure you dont give a flying poo about...
    i have a 2800+(1.8Ghz) and for Farcry it runs better then Intel 3.0Gh easily....linky

use this interactive cpu chart...yeah sometime things are like 2 seconds fasterbut some are remarkable....look at the games and look at the green vs blue....there is a lot of green at the top of those game charts.

One side note...Intel Prescotts, high end p4's, are SUPER hot and can get to 70c with stock cooling....you may want to look into some good aftermakret cooling....my cpu hasn't been above 41c ever.....the P4 Northwoods were good but Prescotts are SUPER hot.

If you buy a 3200+ AMD or a 3.4Gh Intel you will be happy either way....its just a personal preferance. You may be willing to sacrifice some game speed for security....thats fine with me. I was just curious.
  16. Yeah I know in gaming AMD beats an Intel quite significantly. But I am not a hardcore gamer and this computer isn't just for gaming so that's why I have gone with the Intel. If I ever did make a gaming computer, I am 100% sure that I would use an AMD. In regards to the cooling, I am looking into buying a good heatsink/fan. What would you recommend? I need it to all fit in my case with everything I have install. Cheers
  17. yes, i know exactly what you need.

http://www.sundialmicro.com/silverstone_case_fan_sstfm121_1726_381.html

http://www.xoxide.com/thermalright-si-120.html

Get that HSF and that fan and you are set.

The fan is VERY powerful and might be a bit too loud for you, but it comes with a fan control. Set the fan control to 100% and then see what your temps are at full load. then take it down to 50% and see what they are....if the temps at full load is less then 50c you are very good.
    You can set the fan control to whatever speed/sound you want just keep your temps under 60c, under 50c is best in my opinion.
  18. Awesome thanks man, lets just hope I can get them for fairly cheap here in Australia :S
  19. Oh...yeah i forgot about that.

If you can find that HSF and fan you will be set...

I dont know how international things work. I live in Seattle Washington in the US, i can get any computer thing i need within 15miles of my house if the internet is being stupid.

If you can't find them i can come up with some other solutions.....just letme know...PM me or something.
  20. Awesome, thanks heaps. Yeah I might be getting Thermal Take at warehouse prices too. I have to wait a couple weeks to see!
  21. what thermaltake parts are you getting?

the HSF is thermalright.....
  22. Don't know yet I have to wait and see :P
  23. Quote:
    Yeah I might be getting Thermal Take at warehouse prices too.

Quote:
    Don't know yet (in reference to what thermaltake you are going to get.) I have to wait and see

just making sure you know the HSF you want to get is a Thermalright....not thermaltake
  24. WOOT - another australian. Depending on what city your are in, try either www.umart.com.au (Brisbane) or www.auspcmarket.com.au (anywhere, free shipping) - jst check those prices against warehouse prices. umart will ship anywhere at cost.

as a Graphics card, think about the X1600XT (umart) as they are around the same price as the 6600GT's and will kick shit over them any day of the week including thursdays.

Really dont know why you like intel, but your choice. Personally I am an AMD fan boy. The link above to the interactive CPU charts was broken i think, so here it is again: http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html

remeber to get reviews of the hardware you are buying
  25. We already went over this.....he like Intel....boo for him.
  26. I know, i accepted the heresy, called the Inquisition and moved on in life.
  27. LOL! I always run into problems on forums when I say I am getting an Intel!

HAHAHAHA, I am still thinking about it but will have to think more on it!

Ok I have another question. I am now able to get GIGABYTE, MSI, ABIT, ELSA, InnoVISION, Leadtek and XpertVision video cards. I'm unable to get my original video card any more because for some reason they cancled the whole ASUS Nvidia GPU line.
  28. Gigabyte and MSI are good, but pretty much any of them will do the job. Look for a decent GPU at least 128mb of memory, preferebly 256mb, If you want to upgrade to a full version of Vista, Aero Glass Support (the only one I have seen advertising this is the new ATI radeon X1k series), and finally a decent warranty.

Have fun now Mr. Oooh I like Intel even though AMD is cheaper and better.
  29. I don't know what your on about, seriously I stated in the top of the thread that I did not want this thread to turn into AMD is better and cheaper. It has been said 1000000 times and doesn't need to be said another 100000000 times!
  30. Quote:
    Have fun now Mr. Oooh I like Intel even though AMD is cheaper and better.

Are you high? i am not joking i honestly mean it....

because he knows this was comming, he gave his reasons and most of us moved on. Trying toconvince him to change over anger is stupid.....He knows what he wants....and he can get what he wants. his money, his computer....SO SHUT IT!!

Yes AMD is better for some things, Yes sometimes its cheaper....HE KNOWS!
  31. Thank you! And pyrix just to shut you up I did look into AMD this was my other option;

CPU:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core, Socket 939, "Manchester Core", HT2000 MT/s (HyperTransport System Bus), 2 x 128K L1 Cache, 2 x 512K L2 Cache, Frequency 2 x 2.0GHz, Features Enchanced Memory Controller & SSE3 Instructions, 90nm SOI, Boxed

Motherboard:

A8N-SLI DELUXE

I have decided to go dual core instead of single core now. Because on an Intel system the 2.80 GHz is a lot cheaper than a single core 3.40ghz.

Ok just a few questions on AMD pickxx, not looking at price and benchmarks what would make me change my mind about going to AMD? Like I think I stated before, that back in the day AMD had compatibility
    issues with certain programs. Do you know someone or yourself that has run into any issues? Are the AMD chips reliable and stable? What I liked about the Intel motherboard I chose was that I would be able to upgrade the parts easily if I had to. Eg, I can put in a single core or dual core, supports 64bit and 32bit, etc. Will have this kind of freedom on a AMD motherboard like the ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE? Is the dual core that a specified up the top any good?

EDIT: Oh BTW I can now get Corsair RAM. Should I go with that or stick with the other one?
  32. My bad - I dont see how my giving good advice to maximum extent possible on my knowledge, and throwing in a joke is such a terrible thing.

Seriously, chill out dude, if he likes Intel, good for him, I'm happy to let him like Intel - honestly I really couldn't give a sh*t, but I dont see why I cant throw in na joke. IF you dont like my jokes, which is fairly common, ignorine the one line that as relevent to your quote and move on in life.

But, for the record, any further replies I make in this thread will be devoid of any AMD vs. Intel opinions/jokes/sentences.
  33. Amd has no compatibility issues with anything that i know of....no programs, hardware, or anything.

You could chose single core or dual core for almost all socket 939 borards....and you can run a 64bit AMD cpu using 32bit stuff....as i am doing right now.

i dont really know what you want to know.
  34. OK that's fine! :) I have changed a couple things now

CPU: Intel Pentium D Dual Core 820, 2.80 GHz Clock Speed, Socket LGA775, FSB 800MHz, 2 x 1MB L2 Cache, 90nm process, includes Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel EM64T) and Execute Disable Bit (XD).

Motherboard: P5ND2-SLI DELUXE P5,775,NFORCE C19,2PCI

Graphics Card: MSI PCI-E NX6600GT TD 128MB Graphics Card

RAM x2: Corsair VS1GB667D2 1GB Value Select PC-5300 DDR2 RAM, 128MBx64non-ECC, 240-pin DIMM, Unbuffered, CL5,

Hard Drive x3: Seagate ST3250823AS SATA NCQ 250G 8MB 7200.8

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 Silver

PSU: Antec TPII-480Blue TrueBlue 2.0 480W ATX Power Supply

Floppy Driver: Panasonic 1.44 Floppy Disk Drive

DVD ROM: ASUS 16X DVD ROM RETAIL PACK

Monitor: 19" Mitsubishi DV997FDB Black

Speakers: ACSP2500 Inspire 2500 2.1 speakers

Still thinking on a heat sink, this one seems decent for now
    Heat Sink: Thermaltake Golden Orb II CPU Cooler Ultra Silent High Performance Blue LED

EDIT: GPU Was

Leadtek® nVidia GeForce PX6800GT TDH PCI-E x16 256MB DDR3 256-bit; CineFX; DVI, TV-out, Twinview

Now

MSI PCI-E NX6600GT TD 128MB Graphics Card
  35. Sweet system, again, keep a look out for the new ATI X1k cards - pick one you can afford, becuase the X1600XT have a) more advanced technology pixel shaders and stuff, and b) beat, in pure fps 6600GT's any day of the week including Thursdays.

Or look at the X800GTO's, if i remeber right, u live in australia - the only place i have found with them in stock here is www.gamedude.com.au

But otherwise, this should keep you happy for a long time.
  36. Quote:
    b) beat, in pure fps 6600GT's any day of the week including Thursdays.

The only problem with that is that the 6800GS beat the X1600XT by almost a two fold margin in 16x12 res settings. and the X1600XT never beats the 6800GS.
    THe X1600XT WAS supposed to come out at $250 but since the 6800GS is so good they are going to drop the price to 179. But frankly for $21 i would prefer to have a card that is 30-80% faster.

but thats just me.
  37. Although I own an AMD I must say i always loved Intel, they were always more reliable and quicker, and no matter what people say, and they can show me all the benchmarkd they want, Intel is better for day-in day-out number crunching.
    Have a look at www.pcmaniacs.com.au and www.msy.com.au for prices, they are generally very competitive.

P.S. Please excuse the HTML if it is a little rough, I am a little rusty.

EDIT: okay, so the HTML didn't work, if u could offer some advice in a PM that would be nice thanx
  38. Quote:
    if u could offer some advice in a PM that would be nice thanx

if you want to PM me, you can....i dont have a clue what your entire post was about.
  39. the advice was in relation to why the HTML appeared not to work till i changed it over to the code in the messege editor, i suggested a pm as it seemed inappropriate to talk about HTML code in someone elses thread about their computer.
  40. I have no idea what your talking about....HTML code, all i know is i code things and they work. I dont care how or why...lol

you can talk about that here if you want this is pretty much wrapped up.
  41. Ok thanks for the input....I didn't think this thread was going to come back to life so I posted the cards in a different section and everyone suggested the 6800GS but the only thing that got me worried about the 6800GS was that I have never heard of InnoVISION. Has anyone had experinces with the brand? Because I have never heard of it before.

Also, I might be going to AMD, if I can find out the right info about how AMD performs with my audio recording software, eg Cubase, etc I might use AMD.
  42. never heard of it....get a better brand....

And if you want to know about AMD google the chip you want and look for reviews....most sites do review of like 40 programs.
  43. Quote:
    never heard of it....get a better brand....

I don't know, see it seems like a good card for the price!

Quote:

And if you want to know about AMD google the chip you want and look for reviews....most sites do review of like 40 programs.

Yeah hepas of sites do benchmarking, of the same thing, which I have seen a lot of times now. None of these places have done benchmarking of AMDs with programs like Cuebase and all the forums I read that have the debate of AMD vs. Intel with Cubase is people just going AMD is better because of this. Without backing it up by how it's better compared to the Intel chip. Everything just seems to be one sided.
  44. Fair enuff - too bad havent actually found any site with them in stock here - check location.
  45. Quote:
    Fair enuff - too bad havent actually found any site with them in stock here - check location.

WTF are you talking about nothing being in stock "here" where is here, what isn't in stock?
  46. OK, I think I have read enough to be convinced this is my system!

CPU:
    AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ SOCKET 939 64-bit with HyperTransport Technology, 1MB cache - BOXED

Motherboard:
    A8N-SLI PREMIUM - S939,NFORCE4 SLI,2PCIE

Graphics
    InnoVISION GF 6800GS 256MB 256bit DDR3, PCI-Express X16 interface, DVI, HDTV out, 425MHz Core Clock, 1000MHz Memory Clock, supports Direct X9c Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 1.5; NVIDIA technologies: SLI Ready, CineFX 3.0, Intellisample 3.0, UltraShadow, PureVideo, ForceWare, nView, Digital Vibrance Control 3.0, High-Precision Dynamic-Range (HPDR) technology; Package Include: Colin Mcrae rally 04, WinDVD Creator2, WinDVD5, S-video to Composit video cable.

Ram:
    Corsair TWINX2048-3200 2GB (2x XMS1GB) PC-3200 Dual Ch. DDR RAM, 2x128Mx64non-ECC, 184-pin DIMMs, Unbuffered, 3-3-3-8, 64Mx8 DRAMs, Heat Spreader, Lifetime warranty, Designed in USA

Hard Drive:x3
    Seagate ST3250823AS SATA NCQ 250G 8MB 7200.8

Sound Card:
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum with I/O Drive & IR Remote

Case:
    Cooler Master™ Centurion 5 Silver - 5 x 5.25" Bays, 6x 3.5" Bays, Supoorts 1x 80mm Front & 1x 120mm Blue LED Fan

PSU:
    500W "Antec" (USA) Neo Highly Efficient v2.2 ATX and EPS12V Power Supply

DVD ROM:
    LG DVD Rom Black 16X Drive OEM

DVD Burner:
    Asus DRW-1608P

Monitor:
    Samsung 940B 19" LCD Monitor, Black Colour, 1280x1024 Max. Resolution, 8ms Response Time, 0.294mm Pixel Pitch, Brightness: 270cd/m2, 700:1 Contrast Ratio, 160/160 Viewing Angle, MagicColor, MagicBright2, MagicZone, MagicTune with Asset Management, Safe Mode(Down Scaling in UXGA), Connectors: 15pin D-Sub & DVI-D

Note once again since some people seem to skip over this point the first time :p The sound card is for recording, so don't worry about the sucky speakers
    Speakers:
    ACSP2500 Inspire 2500 2.1 speakers

Floppy Driver:
    Sony 3.5" 1.44Mb Black Floppy Drive, MPF920Z121

Heat Sink:
    Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon - 4 in 1 Cooler

Mouse:
    Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer With Tilt Wheel, Five Programmable Buttons, Accelerated Scrolling

Keyboard:
    Multimedia Keyboard with Hot keys, Enhanced F keys, Zoom slider; and Optical Wheel Mouse; Interface: USB with a PS/2 adapter)
  47. Quote:
    b) beat, in pure fps 6600GT's any day of the week including Thursdays.

The only problem with that is that the 6800GS beat the X1600XT by almost a two fold margin in 16x12 res settings. and the X1600XT never beats the 6800GS.
    THe X1600XT WAS supposed to come out at $250 but since the 6800GS is so good they are going to drop the price to 179. But frankly for $21 i would prefer to have a card that is 30-80% faster.

but thats just me.

Sorry, thought i quoted but did not. Have not found anyone with 6800GS where i live, in Brisbane Australia, all technologies take some time to filter down the pipeline too us. As soon as they do, I would definitly go a GS over a X1600XT, but if he wants to build a computer now...
  48. EDIT: There are 2 new 6800GS cards

Big decision now!

MSI PCI-E NX6800GS TD 256MB Graphics Card

Leadtek WinFast PX6800GS SLi 256MB PCI Express Graphics card

Both are good cards and both have the same core speeds, extra! I going to try find some reviews on them but I am leaning towards the MSI!
  49. Quote:
    EDIT: There are 2 new 6800GS cards

Big decision now!

MSI PCI-E NX6800GS TD 256MB Graphics Card

Leadtek WinFast PX6800GS SLi 256MB PCI Express Graphics card

Both are good cards and both have the same core speeds, extra! I going to try find some reviews on them but I am leaning towards the MSI!

i would get the leadtek....but both shuld be good.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product