NT 4 to 2000 upgrade question

jeff

I am going to be upgrading our network from nt 4 to 2000. I am trying to find out if I have to upgrade the PDC first or would I be able to use the AD Migration tool instead? I would like to upgrade one of my 2000 servers to AD first and then migrate over to that if that is possible.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

You would have to upgrade the PDC first to AD. If you cannot do that, then
you could use use the AD Migration tool as you mentioned.

Something else to consider, if you do not want to use AD Migration tool,
install the server you are wanting to upgrade as a NT 4.0 BDC. Once
complete, promote to PDC and then upgrade to AD.

Just another way you might not have thought of.

--
Darren Hook
dhook@online.microsoft.com

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am going to be upgrading our network from nt 4 to 2000. I am trying to
find out if I have to upgrade the PDC first or would I be able to use the AD
Migration tool instead? I would like to upgrade one of my 2000 servers to AD
first and then migrate over to that if that is possible.

> Thanks in advance.
> Jeff

jeff

The reason I don't want to upgrade the NT 4 box is because I don't want to be stuck with the 4gb partition.