I see references to SP2, such as a message saying
"I downloaded SP2 and ......." but when I go to
Windows Update, it doesn't tell me about SP2....
and on the microsoft.com website, it tells me
that "SP2 is coming soon". Would one of you kind
MVPs resolve this paradox for us? Thanks.
--
William B. Lurie

Denny

You can find SP2 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> I see references to SP2, such as a message saying
> "I downloaded SP2 and ......." but when I go to
> Windows Update, it doesn't tell me about SP2....
> and on the microsoft.com website, it tells me
> that "SP2 is coming soon". Would one of you kind
> MVPs resolve this paradox for us? Thanks.
> --
> William B. Lurie

Thanks, Denny,

Downloaded and installed without any problems,
Created a CD for my other computers.

"Denny" <notreal@golf.net> wrote in message news:el6Kq4ufEHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> You can find SP2 here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx
>

> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> I see references to SP2, such as a message saying
>> "I downloaded SP2 and ......." but when I go to
>> Windows Update, it doesn't tell me about SP2....
>> and on the microsoft.com website, it tells me
>> that "SP2 is coming soon". Would one of you kind
>> MVPs resolve this paradox for us? Thanks.
>> --
>> William B. Lurie

The

following note appears on the Windows XP Service Pack 2 webpage.
Apparently not yet released for Windows XP Home Edition single computer:

Coming Soon! Windows XP Service Pack 2 for a Single Computer

The best way to ensure you get Windows XP SP2 and other updates for
your computer is by turning on Automatic Updates today. You can use our
step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.

Coming Soon! Windows XP Service Pack 2 for a Single Computer
--
Sincerely,
Jack Nation

The best way to ensure you get Windows XP SP2 and other updates for
your computer is by turning on Automatic Updates today. You can use our
step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.

"Denny" <notreal@golf.net> wrote in message
> You can find SP2 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> > I see references to SP2, such as a message saying
> > "I downloaded SP2 and ......." but when I go to
> > Windows Update, it doesn't tell me about SP2....
> > and on the microsoft.com website, it tells me
> > that "SP2 is coming soon". Would one of you kind
> > MVPs resolve this paradox for us? Thanks.
> > --
> > William B. Lurie

begin 666 update-sm34.gif
M1TE&.#EA(@`B`/<``/___XJ)B/Z<30!WER=(B !I`):L_BY/M "-<@"#_\C?
MH!%C3Y".) !;1=O:UN3WPP`DMM.I`@!#V)&7IHK8`^Y6`F+"V015UVJ5`0`;
MKK:5"2%D3K0K`W]I.BQI>9'E^RQ7Z9]L6,JJI(^D]+NZMER2"/YI!P".,U>3
MQ_O-L%AZ^V:'_OJE9P)D&=)+!^:X!F]XD "%``A8=/_6%E%820!J^WB5_0BH
MW 0VJ7&6*@%9Z_C\\3-CSIGM!#IS`5IL,UE]`P]+J?[RZP"LF?5W*BL[<C-=
M"(>B_Z+Y!]?I[??LYOS1("<ZU"M8V?_8`P!R`5YXZO#P\&5J>DYH\_Z+.APW
ME !ZU#QD^P8XT%Q8&@"4`P"8_A#"_ `IJO]W&_7U]04KP0",70"F[.GDXS>C
M\,;"PW6V`B(RC*JKM0`UROW]_0!=\@!\`#:<IOCX]_+X^JR5# !.Y@`[S !>
M#_^#+GR-Y?[Z]P`QP@"+[7_'`4]R`O_]_1:6`&>'GCA9PDQ/93)@JUI;?J/6
MYP!6FR%:C1%9D!VS&P!M#L91*PEY!(C2$"=)R0"2Z*6."71*(]MI' !]XP9B
MY_JXCZ?S(=VOG#9>]QA<^#E>Z#9)Y9^-$"]"YT)H7G1S;6NA`*&=E+*<%G&M
M`<[:YW157-;=^J'?-0"P_X*]&7)R> !T+P!_,/*_#0!<9EY?8OZ60R%RZP!H
ML8^)$TB>X9Z1%%VEU@`ZQ,XZ`&!K&69V"7%[`'9^$ !*8??&`//R\FEI:mad:M#
MT'"*0+WN\/[^_N/?VY'-SDAM_U"NZ$MBZ1TRL!<MMAW!GP!3CAA.E[K.DP"[
M>)V'"VZU#LC3^X6$" !E)0!C0N>]%(+,`)*JN_KY_1%P:$5;\/O[^FE]YS>,
M2*6QT<>>`/V>6@DWR"9??$%2>C1.Q]C:Y "C+)TJ#(8W(4=H#DMA$59F'@!W
M_Y.>YJ2BI.'P]*^RM "!PP!9RD%4GEU=K !S&UEKBV)GL^W#&BZNQOS*&:AB
M-,S(TM+1S]+2R0":H ZB_2'_"TUE9&EA0FEN,2XP/0$C34(E.GLU,$(X.#)%
M-2U%-S%&+31#-38M.$5%0BTQ135%0D8P,3)&0S5]5$M85$U%1$E!0DE..B5-
M0B,`(?D$```````L`````"(`(@! "/\``0@<2+"@P8,(!>Y)84) *Q,5.#A"
M!P04!20]S- HXR9A07;V`IV"(0\9#0T:(MQ;XB23AQNEMH2)P>9)"P]E/!)\
M4TQ"A@P0NC30!0$"4' @0)SAQ$^-SJ=0$RJATDJ EPJ(1&B+FG"$BB,&5DQA
M0@..+%@,&'QJY,/0$#SK!K0AYQ3J!U\2UM38.T"+EC!6:KR:-F?.@D($VG$=
MR$O8NPDPZDD)X*G,F(Z+,T<5\LW+-SHF7)C+H@>#*5*3*.38]X7K-79U1MB
M,D^4.CV=\O1 0L%'(@3_+"2IFW"4"AL&;*C ="::!F\OELS8]:,-%S'^3L1X
M@JT;YH-N6@/_^!#I`J$?N'+=,B+#RA8\"&@>FC-MV02H;\ADN"-'0IP+TCQ1
M@#(2R'%'%^$`4H44_'"EC0.SN&()"#Q<<@4Q5U2R2!&]O!.%9B"&*.) =J3
M`@MT$$&)$B,.I(8D#5$!$0<=_,+,#C@^H$ 4P2PF!!%46%5!+>>D`T1NNU7S
M`QJ\<&4'"X^$$((^+G! &@9F7-1#"1L(]T94T! #EG*:R),#$"4\HX@B&!C!
MQQ ))$!&*,0AM,(*!ARQ0C;'V/+<"_G,X 0LW"33#"/PQ) *"F/429 !*FQ3
M!Q3&,%$$'"E1PU($F^##Q0WE:+'=-'V(9Y ;_9#@P!C#!+&),Q&HE"+="S\,
M(,9[VLTG#2%HV'6!#FO$,\@J+="#`!X)0))*306T( ,!]ST%S 5I2 !L#0/$
MH"TJ:\0A`0X+>!"$."1$)<@%&8!Q1QJT-%" +FG<810$?HQ3A"=-1N5.+#I@
M`08.,N `!AB^@' %"%6P0L)W4:DQAC4H\-#$Q'X<0, ?`93QX8AN\.+ Q[Q\
*L56+))=L4$ `.P``
`
end

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote:

>I see references to SP2, such as a message saying
>"I downloaded SP2 and ......." but when I go to
>Windows Update, it doesn't tell me about SP2....
>and on the microsoft.com website, it tells me
>that "SP2 is coming soon". Would one of you kind
>MVPs resolve this paradox for us? Thanks.

It should be available via the Windows Update site, however you may
experience problems in getting it due to the numberless download
requests in these days. So you may want to wait and download the SP
next week or so.

--
(tm)

Actually, it's not available via WU yet, and it's going to be released in
staggered steps so that the servers don't crash with the amount of people
trying to d/l it.

A larger version not dependent on the version of XP can be downloaded at:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

--
Paul Cyr

-----

The Debate Continues... www.xvsxp.com

Protect Yourself and Others in 6 Simple Steps...
http://davechalkconnected.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1802
-----

"Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote:
>
>>I see references to SP2, such as a message saying
>>"I downloaded SP2 and ......." but when I go to
>>Windows Update, it doesn't tell me about SP2....
>>and on the microsoft.com website, it tells me
>>that "SP2 is coming soon". Would one of you kind
>>MVPs resolve this paradox for us? Thanks.
>
> It should be available via the Windows Update site, however you may
> experience problems in getting it due to the numberless download
> requests in these days. So you may want to wait and download the SP
> next week or so.
>
> --
> (tm)

Note the following text from that website.. "This installation package is
intended for IT professionals and developers downloading and installing on
multiple computers on a network. If you're updating just one computer,
please visit http://www.microsoft.com/protect."

"PCyr." <johndoe532004AThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message
> Actually, it's not available via WU yet, and it's going to be released in
> staggered steps so that the servers don't crash with the amount of people
> trying to d/l it.
>
> A larger version not dependent on the version of XP can be downloaded at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

> --
> Paul Cyr
>
> -----
>
> The Debate Continues... www.xvsxp.com
>
> Protect Yourself and Others in 6 Simple Steps...
> http://davechalkconnected.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1802
> -----
>
> "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
> > "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote:
> >
> >>I see references to SP2, such as a message saying
> >>"I downloaded SP2 and ......." but when I go to
> >>Windows Update, it doesn't tell me about SP2....
> >>and on the microsoft.com website, it tells me
> >>that "SP2 is coming soon". Would one of you kind
> >>MVPs resolve this paradox for us? Thanks.
> >
> > It should be available via the Windows Update site, however you may
> > experience problems in getting it due to the numberless download
> > requests in these days. So you may want to wait and download the SP
> > next week or so.
> >
> > --
> > (tm)

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

I don't use automatic updates at all. I want to be in control, as best I
can, of my resources and choose when and what is installed on my PC.

FWIW, JAX

"Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> The
>
> following note appears on the Windows XP Service Pack 2 webpage.
> Apparently not yet released for Windows XP Home Edition single computer:
>
> Coming Soon! Windows XP Service Pack 2 for a Single Computer
>
> The best way to ensure you get Windows XP SP2 and other updates for
> your computer is by turning on Automatic Updates today. You can use our
> step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.
>
> Coming Soon! Windows XP Service Pack 2 for a Single Computer
> --
> Sincerely,
> Jack Nation
>
> The best way to ensure you get Windows XP SP2 and other updates for
> your computer is by turning on Automatic Updates today. You can use our
> step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.
>

> "Denny" <notreal@golf.net> wrote in message
> > You can find SP2 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

> > "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> > > I see references to SP2, such as a message saying
> > > "I downloaded SP2 and ......." but when I go to
> > > Windows Update, it doesn't tell me about SP2....
> > > and on the microsoft.com website, it tells me
> > > that "SP2 is coming soon". Would one of you kind
> > > MVPs resolve this paradox for us? Thanks.
> > > --
> > > William B. Lurie

Denny

I'm with you JAX. I don't use the auto update. I check the update site
frequently. I have downloaded and installed SP2 on two computers networked
at my home and so far they are both running fine. I don't see any
difference in performance though.
"JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
>I don't use automatic updates at all. I want to be in control, as best I
> can, of my resources and choose when and what is installed on my PC.
>
> FWIW, JAX
>
> "Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>> The
>>
>> following note appears on the Windows XP Service Pack 2 webpage.
>> Apparently not yet released for Windows XP Home Edition single computer:
>>
>> Coming Soon! Windows XP Service Pack 2 for a Single Computer
>>
>> The best way to ensure you get Windows XP SP2 and other updates for
>> your computer is by turning on Automatic Updates today. You can use our
>> step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.
>>
>> Coming Soon! Windows XP Service Pack 2 for a Single Computer
>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Jack Nation
>>
>> The best way to ensure you get Windows XP SP2 and other updates for
>> your computer is by turning on Automatic Updates today. You can use our
>> step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.
>>

>> "Denny" <notreal@golf.net> wrote in message
>> > You can find SP2 here:
>> >

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx
>> >

>> > "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message

Denny

You're welcome Squire. I am no XP expert or anything of the sort for sure,
but I downloaded and installed the update for two networked home computers
and all seems well. Good Luck!
"Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
Thanks, Denny,

Downloaded and installed without any problems,
Created a CD for my other computers.

"Denny" <notreal@golf.net> wrote in message
> You can find SP2 here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx
>

> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> I see references to SP2, such as a message saying
>> "I downloaded SP2 and ......." but when I go to
>> Windows Update, it doesn't tell me about SP2....
>> and on the microsoft.com website, it tells me
>> that "SP2 is coming soon". Would one of you kind
>> MVPs resolve this paradox for us? Thanks.
>> --
>> William B. Lurie

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

Hi Denny,

The only thing I have found different with SP2, is in OE the view text size
is grayed out and the text is larger than I want. It only says "Fixed".I
have not taken time to explore it yet, but I'm sure there is a simple fix.

JAX

> I'm with you JAX. I don't use the auto update. I check the update site
> frequently. I have downloaded and installed SP2 on two computers
> networked at my home and so far they are both running fine. I don't see
> any difference in performance though.
> "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
>>I don't use automatic updates at all. I want to be in control, as best I
>> can, of my resources and choose when and what is installed on my PC.
>>
>> FWIW, JAX
>>
>> "Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>>> The
>>>
>>> following note appears on the Windows XP Service Pack 2 webpage.
>>> Apparently not yet released for Windows XP Home Edition single computer:
>>>
>>> Coming Soon! Windows XP Service Pack 2 for a Single Computer
>>>
>>> The best way to ensure you get Windows XP SP2 and other updates
>>> for
>>> your computer is by turning on Automatic Updates today. You can use our
>>> step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.
>>>
>>> Coming Soon! Windows XP Service Pack 2 for a Single Computer
>>> --
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Jack Nation
>>>
>>> The best way to ensure you get Windows XP SP2 and other updates
>>> for
>>> your computer is by turning on Automatic Updates today. You can use our
>>> step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.
>>>

>>> "Denny" <notreal@golf.net> wrote in message
>>> >

>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

Denny

Hey JAX,
I don't have that problem in OE. The text size isn't grayed out.
> Hi Denny,
>
> The only thing I have found different with SP2, is in OE the view text
> size is grayed out and the text is larger than I want. It only says
> "Fixed".I have not taken time to explore it yet, but I'm sure there is a
> simple fix.
>
> JAX
>
> "Denny" <notreal@golf.net> wrote in message
>> I'm with you JAX. I don't use the auto update. I check the update site
>> frequently. I have downloaded and installed SP2 on two computers
>> networked at my home and so far they are both running fine. I don't see
>> any difference in performance though.
>> "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
>>>I don't use automatic updates at all. I want to be in control, as best I
>>> can, of my resources and choose when and what is installed on my PC.
>>>
>>> FWIW, JAX
>>>
>>> "Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message

>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

It's an HTML issue, working on it.

JAX

"JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
> Hi Denny,
>
> The only thing I have found different with SP2, is in OE the view text
> size is grayed out and the text is larger than I want. It only says
> "Fixed".I have not taken time to explore it yet, but I'm sure there is a
> simple fix.
>
> JAX
>
> "Denny" <notreal@golf.net> wrote in message
>> I'm with you JAX. I don't use the auto update. I check the update site
>> frequently. I have downloaded and installed SP2 on two computers
>> networked at my home and so far they are both running fine. I don't see
>> any difference in performance though.
>> "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
>>>I don't use automatic updates at all. I want to be in control, as best I
>>> can, of my resources and choose when and what is installed on my PC.
>>>
>>> FWIW, JAX
>>>
>>> "Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message

>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

Because the current release is an "all-in-one" that isn't dependent on the
flavour of XP. It's large, and MS would rather you wait till the smaller
package for your flavour is released in a staggard method via WU.

--
Paul Cyr

-----

Denny wrote:

> I'm with you JAX. I don't use the auto update. I check the update site
> frequently. I have downloaded and installed SP2 on two computers networked
> at my home and so far they are both running fine. I don't see any
> difference in performance though.
> "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
>
>>I don't use automatic updates at all. I want to be in control, as best I
>>can, of my resources and choose when and what is installed on my PC.
>>
>>FWIW, JAX
>>
>>"Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> The
>>>
>>> following note appears on the Windows XP Service Pack 2 webpage.
>>>Apparently not yet released for Windows XP Home Edition single computer:
>>>
>>> Coming Soon! Windows XP Service Pack 2 for a Single Computer
>>>
>>> The best way to ensure you get Windows XP SP2 and other updates for
>>>your computer is by turning on Automatic Updates today. You can use our
>>>step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.
>>>
>>> Coming Soon! Windows XP Service Pack 2 for a Single Computer
>>> --
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Jack Nation
>>>
>>> The best way to ensure you get Windows XP SP2 and other updates for
>>>your computer is by turning on Automatic Updates today. You can use our
>>>step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.
>>>

>>>"Denny" <notreal@golf.net> wrote in message

>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

Auto update can be set to notify only. You don't have
to constantly check the update site. It will tell you when
updates are available and let you decide when to load them.

gls858

Thorsten Matzner wrote:
> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote:
>

>>I see references to SP2, such as a message saying
>>"I downloaded SP2 and ......." but when I go to
>>Windows Update, it doesn't tell me about SP2....
>>and on the microsoft.com website, it tells me
>>that "SP2 is coming soon". Would one of you kind
>>MVPs resolve this paradox for us? Thanks.
>

> It should be available via the Windows Update site, however you may
> experience problems in getting it due to the numberless download
> requests in these days. So you may want to wait and download the SP
> next week or so.

Thank you, TM, but it does not even show as being an
available update. Are you saying that it is not being shown
as an available SP because the numberless download requests
have turned off the avilability? I wasn't questioning
speed or waiting in a queue....I just haven't found it
available......
WBL

--
William B. Lurie

It will appear in the next few days on the WU site.. fix any existing
problems that you might have before installing it.. you have a few days to
complete this task..

> Thorsten Matzner wrote:
> > "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote:
> >

> >>I see references to SP2, such as a message saying
> >>"I downloaded SP2 and ......." but when I go to
> >>Windows Update, it doesn't tell me about SP2....
> >>and on the microsoft.com website, it tells me
> >>that "SP2 is coming soon". Would one of you kind
> >>MVPs resolve this paradox for us? Thanks.
> >

> > It should be available via the Windows Update site, however you may
> > experience problems in getting it due to the numberless download
> > requests in these days. So you may want to wait and download the SP
> > next week or so.
> >
> Thank you, TM, but it does not even show as being an
> available update. Are you saying that it is not being shown
> as an available SP because the numberless download requests
> have turned off the avilability? I wasn't questioning
> speed or waiting in a queue....I just haven't found it
> available......
> WBL
>
> --
> William B. Lurie

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

I don't want that intrusion, especially if I happen to be burning a backup
or something. I want my machine to be at my command only. It's mine, I built
it, and I want to control it.

JAX

"gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Denny wrote:
>
>> I'm with you JAX. I don't use the auto update. I check the update site
>> frequently. I have downloaded and installed SP2 on two computers
>> networked at my home and so far they are both running fine. I don't see
>> any difference in performance though.
>> "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
>>
>>>I don't use automatic updates at all. I want to be in control, as best I
>>>can, of my resources and choose when and what is installed on my PC.
>>>
>>>FWIW, JAX
>>>
>>>"Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message

>>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

> Auto update can be set to notify only. You don't have
> to constantly check the update site. It will tell you when
> updates are available and let you decide when to load them.
>
> gls858

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote:

>Thank you, TM, but it does not even show as being an
>available update.

See Paul's post. The SP will be available via the WU site in a few
days.

--
(tm)

gls858 <gls858@yahoo.com> typed:

> Auto update can be set to notify only. You don't have
> to constantly check the update site. It will tell you when
> updates are available and let you decide when to load them.

That's how I've set it, but the funny thing is, it hasn't notified me yet
(nor another person with the same settings) I don't really need it, already
downloaded it (not yet installed) but still can't understand why it hasn't
wanted to download. I looked at the Update site, it is there offering to
download.
--
Cheers,

Judy

Annoy Yourself: Ask a politician what time it is!