NT Service Pack upgrade

I have an older laptop that uses NT 4 Service Pack 4 for
workstations. I want to download my data to an external
hard disk, and it is asking for Service Pack 6.
Ultimately I want to change my operating system to XP.
All of the NT downloads related to Service Pack 6 seem to
be for servers and not workstations. Does anyone have a
good idea how I can either install Service Pack 6, or
whether I can cause my computer to overwrite NT with
Windows 98 or XP?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert Cleave wrote:

> I have an older laptop that uses NT 4 Service Pack 4 for
> workstations. I want to download my data to an external
> hard disk, and it is asking for Service Pack 6.
> Ultimately I want to change my operating system to XP.
> All of the NT downloads related to Service Pack 6 seem to
> be for servers and not workstations. Does anyone have a
> good idea how I can either install Service Pack 6, or
> whether I can cause my computer to overwrite NT with
> Windows 98 or XP?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Robert

Same Service Pack (6a) for both the Server and Workstation.
Microsoft no longer supports the Workstation by declaring that
it has passed its "end of service" date. Follow the leads at
Microsoft's website to the SP6a location; download the entire
file (versus doing an on-line update).

It's not clear exactly what is asking for service pack 6.
It sounds like maybe the drivers for the external drive
need service pack 6 to work. You can download it from the
microsoft web site.