File NTFS SID corruptions

Hi,

Were are having a mysterious problem with some random user-files that reside on NT4 Server SP6a Shares. Files are mostly .xls files but type or folder/share location doesn't seem to be relevant. They all have been created and accessed through share with W2Kpro and Office2K. At some time file ACL:s become unaccessible and "Access is Denied" happens. After booting server and running chkdsk acl:s are repaired and files are accessible again.

Any idea what can cause this bevior?

Pauli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Were are having a mysterious problem with some random user-files that reside on NT4 Server SP6a Shares. Files are mostly .xls files but type or folder/share location doesn't seem to be relevant. They all have been created and accessed through share with W2Kpro and Office2K. At some time file ACL:s become unaccessible and "Access is Denied" happens. After booting server and running chkdsk acl:s are repaired and files are accessible again.
>
> Any idea what can cause this bevior?

Offhand, I know W32.FunLove.x can screw w/ file perms. Check it out on
Symantec's web site:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter

hth
--
Ricardo M. Urbano
Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

Neat felow this FunLove but it is not cause to our problems. Virus checking is up to date. An I doubt that any virus could corrupt NTFS ACLs so that take ownership priv doesn't work?

welPauli wrote:

> Neat felow this FunLove but it is not cause to our problems. Virus checking is up to date. An I doubt that any virus could corrupt NTFS ACLs so that take ownership priv doesn't work?

Well, I don't know the full extent of what FunLove can do, but it does
modify ntoskrnl and ntdetect so that it can play with perms.

Sorry I don't have more to offer.
--
Ricardo M. Urbano
Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

Ok,

thanks for your effort Ricardo. I'll stop quessing with this one and open Premier ticket for it. :)

-Pauli-