return policy on printers

I am thinking of buying a printer from a vendor (pcconnection.com) that
has good ratings at bbbonline and resellerratings.com, however the
return policy states:

"Due to restrictions placed upon us by the manufacturers, computers and
printers are returnable in the first 30 days for repair only. Computers,
printers, LCD projectors, and Quark products are not returnable for
credit or exchange."

So, no matter what is wrong with your printer, you can only send it in
for repair within 30 days. Not that I have any intention of returning
the printer, but it doesn't give me a very good feeling.

Is this policy the "norm"? Or should I take my business elsewhere?

Thank you,
Gabriel

In article <ECo8d.357$ZK5.10920@news.tufts.edu>, root@127.0.0.1 (Gabriel)
wrote:

> "Due to restrictions placed upon us by the manufacturers, computers and
> printers are returnable in the first 30 days for repair only..."

> So, no matter what is wrong with your printer, you can only send it in
> for repair within 30 days.

That statement is highly ambiguous. It could mean:

1) We won't replace a faulty printer or computer sent to us within 30
days, only repair it.

2) We won't repair a printer or computer sent to us after more than 30
days.

3) You can only return a printer or computer within 30 days if it needs
repair. Any other reason for return is not acceptable.

and, possibly:

4) If a printer or computer needs repair after 30 days you'll have to take
it up with the manufacturer.

I don't know what part of the world you're in but I don't think any of
those would be acceptable under consumer law where I live (the UK). I'd
check your local consumer law, ask for clarification from pcconnection.com
and then decide how to proceed.

Jon.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I think it means all four: printers are
returnable in the first 30 days only, for repair only - not for any
other reason, such as "I didn't like it." After 30 days, the
manufacturer's warranty kicks in and it's up to me to take it to them.

I know some retail stores are taking this route with printers (such as
B&H Photo), since printers come with consumables that are (supposedly)
replaced before re-sale. At least, that's the party line.

It's an online retailer, so I'm not sure if this is their way of keeping
costs down (i.e. by not having to deal with returns to certain
manufacturers). Don't get me wrong, I agree it doesn't seem like a good
business practice, but then, I have no idea what it takes to make a
profit as a computer-electronics merchant.

Thanks for the feedback,
Gabriel

In article <RZv8d.358$ZK5.11278@news.tufts.edu>, root@127.0.0.1 (Gabriel)
wrote:

> Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I think it means all four: printers are
> returnable in the first 30 days only, for repair only - not for any
> other reason, such as "I didn't like it." After 30 days, the
> manufacturer's warranty kicks in and it's up to me to take it to them.

As I said, I don't know what the consumer law is like where you live but
in the UK you can return something bought online for any reason you like,
within a reasonable time-frame, as you've bought it sight unseen.

Our consumer law also states that your first line of customer service is
with the vendor. If they want to make arrangements with the manufacturer
to deal with you directly, that's up to them but they're your first port
of call in case of problems.

Jon.

I believe they are suggesting that they will handle repairs for the
first 30 days, and that they will not take these items back at all for
credit or exchange. After the 30 days, you deal with the manufacturers
warranty, which for most printers is one year these days.

However, I find the total lack of exchange privilege harsher than most
retailers.

Art

Gabriel wrote:

> I am thinking of buying a printer from a vendor (pcconnection.com) that
> has good ratings at bbbonline and resellerratings.com, however the
> return policy states:
>
> "Due to restrictions placed upon us by the manufacturers, computers and
> printers are returnable in the first 30 days for repair only. Computers,
> printers, LCD projectors, and Quark products are not returnable for
> credit or exchange."
>
> So, no matter what is wrong with your printer, you can only send it in
> for repair within 30 days. Not that I have any intention of returning
> the printer, but it doesn't give me a very good feeling.
>
> Is this policy the "norm"? Or should I take my business elsewhere?
>
> Thank you,
> Gabriel

TRENDING THREADS