Partition 6 gig to win nt

Does the install cd for Windows NT 4.0 have the ability to partition a
hdd when I install win nt? I would like to partition an existing 6gig
hdd to c drive (2g) & d drive (4g) respectively. It already has win 98
os on it. Can this be done with the win nt install cd?

JPC

John Callaway wrote:
> Does the install cd for Windows NT 4.0 have the ability to partition a
> hdd when I install win nt? I would like to partition an existing 6gig
> hdd to c drive (2g) & d drive (4g) respectively. It already has win 98
> os on it. Can this be done with the win nt install cd?
>
> JPC

Need to ask a question: Want to dual-boot between the
existing Win98 and a newly installed Windows NT? Or are
you planning to eliminate Win98 entirely? The answer will
determine the next step. Be very clear and concise in
answering, indicating whether or not the Win98 partition
is currently FAT16 or FAT32, and size.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:32:31 -0700, Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142>
wrote:

I want to wind up with NT 4.0 OS only. I want to get rid of 98
entirely. How do I tell if Win 98 is 16 or 32 bit?

John Callaway wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:32:31 -0700, Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142>
> wrote:
>
> I want to wind up with NT 4.0 OS only. I want to get rid of 98
> entirely. How do I tell if Win 98 is 16 or 32 bit?

Win98 is a mix of 16 and 32 bit code.

However, I assume you meant that you wanted to know if
the partition FAT16 or FAT32.

Just run ChkDsk - or the Win98 equivalent thereof - on the partition.
It has been so long since I've used Win98 that I can't remember if
the called it ChkDsk like NT does, or something else.

However, since you don't seem to care if the existing partitions
are preserved or not when you switch to NT, just boot from the
NT setup CD (or from the floppies) and when you are asked to select
the partition to install NT onto, you will have several options.
Including:
- Reformat one of the existing partitions.
- Delete the existing partitions and create a new one.
- Reuse one of the existing partitions - if it is either FAT16 or NTFS.

>>John Callaway wrote:
>>
>>>Does the install cd for Windows NT 4.0 have the ability to partition a
>>>hdd when I install win nt? I would like to partition an existing 6gig
>>>hdd to c drive (2g) & d drive (4g) respectively. It already has win 98
>>>os on it. Can this be done with the win nt install cd?
>>>
>>> JPC
>>

>>Need to ask a question: Want to dual-boot between the
>>existing Win98 and a newly installed Windows NT? Or are
>>you planning to eliminate Win98 entirely? The answer will
>>determine the next step. Be very clear and concise in
>>answering, indicating whether or not the Win98 partition
>>is currently FAT16 or FAT32, and size.

Will I be able to create more than one partition on one hard drive?

John Callaway wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:38:20 -0600, Rob Stow <rob.stow@sasktel.net>
> wrote:
>
> Will I be able to create more than one partition on one hard drive?

You can, but IIRC you will only be able to format the
one that you are going to install NT onto.

I would suggest that you just create one partition initially
and leave the rest of the hard drive for later. After you
get NT installed, you can use Disk Administrator to partition
and format the rest of the drive.

>>John Callaway wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:32:31 -0700, Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>I want to wind up with NT 4.0 OS only. I want to get rid of 98
>>>entirely. How do I tell if Win 98 is 16 or 32 bit?
>>>

>>Win98 is a mix of 16 and 32 bit code.
>>
>>However, I assume you meant that you wanted to know if
>>the partition FAT16 or FAT32.
>>
>>Just run ChkDsk - or the Win98 equivalent thereof - on the partition.
>>It has been so long since I've used Win98 that I can't remember if
>>the called it ChkDsk like NT does, or something else.
>>
>>However, since you don't seem to care if the existing partitions
>>are preserved or not when you switch to NT, just boot from the
>>NT setup CD (or from the floppies) and when you are asked to select
>>the partition to install NT onto, you will have several options.
>>Including:
>>- Reformat one of the existing partitions.
>>- Delete the existing partitions and create a new one.
>>- Reuse one of the existing partitions - if it is either FAT16 or NTFS.

TRENDING THREADS