Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HP 5550 cleaning funtion

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 5, 2004 6:13:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

My #57 color cartridge has started to act weird. The red stops flowing after
a few lines and the red output is full of lines or "banding".

I did try to kick start the red part of the color cartridge by printing
red-filled text boxes in Word. The red would start and soon fade out to just
yellow (which must be a component of printed "red".

It seems to need replacement but I first cleaning the contacts and then ran
it through a Cleaning cycle.... which accomplished nothing except to
generate these questions:

What exactly does a Cleaning cycle do???

When it gives the option to "Prime" the cartridge, what is it doing then?

Is any part of the Cleaning cycle considered to be "destructive" to the
print heads?

Thanks, Lar

More about : 5550 cleaning funtion

Anonymous
a b α HP
October 5, 2004 9:14:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <w_x8d.3266$UP1.1162@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
hatespam@hatespam.gov says...
> What exactly does a Cleaning cycle do???

The printer spits out some ink, then has some rubber wipers rub across
the nozzles to scrub off dried up ink and crud.

> When it gives the option to "Prime" the cartridge, what is it doing then?

Similar to the above, but it spits ALOT before wiping. The idea is to
help purge out any air from a cartidge that may have been stored upside
down (you should store them nozzle down.)

> Is any part of the Cleaning cycle considered to be "destructive" to the
> print heads?

It shouldn't damage the heads, but eats up ink.

--
If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 6, 2004 6:26:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.1bccd8ae413930709896b8@news.comcast.giganews.com...
> In article <w_x8d.3266$UP1.1162@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> hatespam@hatespam.gov says...
> > What exactly does a Cleaning cycle do???
>
> The printer spits out some ink, then has some rubber wipers rub across
> the nozzles to scrub off dried up ink and crud.
>
> > When it gives the option to "Prime" the cartridge, what is it doing
then?
>
> Similar to the above, but it spits ALOT before wiping. The idea is to
> help purge out any air from a cartidge that may have been stored upside
> down (you should store them nozzle down.)
>
> > Is any part of the Cleaning cycle considered to be "destructive" to the
> > print heads?
>
> It shouldn't damage the heads, but eats up ink.
>
Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, none of that worked.
Related resources
October 7, 2004 1:56:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Larry B" <hatespam@hatespam.gov> wrote in message
news:TgT8d.7439$M05.4444@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>

> Unfortunately, none of that worked.
>
>
Assuming it's not just empty, try 10 minutes with the head dunked in 1/4" or
so of almost boiling hot water, then dab it with dry tissue until all 3
colours wick evenly before returning it to the printer.
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 7, 2004 7:35:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
news:41645bdd$0$122$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net...
> "Larry B" <hatespam@hatespam.gov> wrote in message
> news:TgT8d.7439$M05.4444@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> >
>
> > Unfortunately, none of that worked.
> >
> >
> Assuming it's not just empty, try 10 minutes with the head dunked in 1/4"
or
> so of almost boiling hot water, then dab it with dry tissue until all 3
> colours wick evenly before returning it to the printer.

Steve, thanks for the suggestion but apparently it is fully DOA.

Not even a tiny streak of red can be had from it and it is not dry. It is
now sharing space with meat cuttings in the trash.
!