Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can you turn an iPAQ h5550 into a mobile phone?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 10:20:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

How can I turn my HP iPAQ h5550 into a mobile phone? Is it possible to get
a GSM/GPRS Jacket with SIM capability? ...and if so what else is required
for this transmogrification?

Cheers,

Dan
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 12:15:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:20:29 +0200, Dan Janes wrote
(in article <OYsKi6fiEHA.3148@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>):

> How can I turn my HP iPAQ h5550 into a mobile phone? Is it possible to get
> a GSM/GPRS Jacket with SIM capability?

No. The GSM/GPRS jacket that was available for the iPAQs is not
compatible with the 5550.

> ...and if so what else is required
> for this transmogrification?

You could try using a CF sleeve, and a CF GSM/GPRS card though.
http://www.convergentech.com/

--
Marlof Bregonje
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:45:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

<Marlof Bregonje>; wrote:
> No. The GSM/GPRS jacket that was available for the iPAQs is not
> compatible with the 5550.

Interestingly enough there's a SIM slot in the h5550 (under the battery)
with a sticker "Warranty VOID if broken".

I guess that just means these come from the same (HTC?) factory than many
PPC PE devices. If I recall right, there was speculation about a Pocket PC
phone already in the Compaq iPAQ days.

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/
Related resources
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:45:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

The sim slot on the back of the 54xx's and 55xx's was there for the future
6xxx model based on the same form as the 54/55xx's that never happened. On
two of my 5455's HP actually put the connection on the board but on my 5555
it was replaced with just a blank panel. It would've been nice to have.
VoIP works great but you need to be somewhere with enough bandwidth to use.

--
Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...



"Tero Lehto" <tero-news26@lehto.net> wrote in message
news:mLNWc.2976$yh2.2387@reader1.news.jippii.net...
> <Marlof Bregonje>; wrote:
>> No. The GSM/GPRS jacket that was available for the iPAQs is not
>> compatible with the 5550.
>
> Interestingly enough there's a SIM slot in the h5550 (under the battery)
> with a sticker "Warranty VOID if broken".
>
> I guess that just means these come from the same (HTC?) factory than many
> PPC PE devices. If I recall right, there was speculation about a Pocket PC
> phone already in the Compaq iPAQ days.
>
> --
> Tero Lehto
> http://lehto.net/tero/
>
>
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:45:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile devices] wrote:
> The sim slot on the back of the 54xx's and 55xx's was there for the
> future 6xxx model based on the same form as the 54/55xx's that never
> happened. On two of my 5455's HP actually put the connection on the
> board but on my 5555 it was replaced with just a blank panel. It
> would've been nice to have. VoIP works great but you need to be
> somewhere with enough bandwidth to use.
>
What soft phone app do you use for VoIP?
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:45:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"ZB" <zb@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2p1pt4FfsakrU1@uni-berlin.de...
> What soft phone app do you use for VoIP?
>
>
I use Xten's X-Phone(www.xten.com). I also use Sjphone by
sjlabs(www.sjlabs.com). I have the soft phones pair with free world dialup
(www.fwd.pulver.com),vonage (www.vonage.com) and i'm trying out stanaphone
(www.stanaphone.com). I really like vonage cause I have a real pstn number
and I can make/recieve calls whenever I have a wifi connection to the net.
The downside is that you need to have a regular vonage phone account before
yo ucan get a softphone account and there is a charge for the softphone
account because it has it's own number, voicemail...etc. Free world dialup
is great too, you get voicemail with fwd but you can only make calls to toll
free numbers. There was a time where you could call pstn numbers from fwd
but that was only for a beta, you can however make and recieve calls to
people on vonage, packet 8 and a few other voip carriers.


--
Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 9:30:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I've been considering this as well. Tell me does the Xten product allow you to use a Bluetooth headset while connected to the VOIP? I've tried skype and I don't think my 5550 has the juice to do it with the skype software.

nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<eoAKU6iiEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>



"ZB" <zb@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2p1pt4FfsakrU1@uni-berlin.de...
> What soft phone app do you use for VoIP?
>
>
I use Xten's X-Phone(www.xten.com). I also use Sjphone by
sjlabs(www.sjlabs.com). I have the soft phones pair with free world dialup
(www.fwd.pulver.com),vonage (www.vonage.com) and i'm trying out stanaphone
(www.stanaphone.com). I really like vonage cause I have a real pstn number
and I can make/recieve calls whenever I have a wifi connection to the net.
The downside is that you need to have a regular vonage phone account before
yo ucan get a softphone account and there is a charge for the softphone
account because it has it's own number, voicemail...etc. Free world dialup
is great too, you get voicemail with fwd but you can only make calls to toll
free numbers. There was a time where you could call pstn numbers from fwd
but that was only for a beta, you can however make and recieve calls to
people on vonage, packet 8 and a few other voip carriers.


--
Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...




[microsoft.public.pocketpc]
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:26:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Coonnecting to a bluetooth headset has to do more with the headset and
bluetooth drivers in the pocketpc and not the software. I had a jabra bt200
headset that I could never pair to my 5555 but now I have a jabra bt250 that
works ok with it. There is a problem on the 54/55xx's where the bluetooth
radio will temporarily knock you off the wifi network when the bluetooth
radio is in search mode. So in order to use the headset with success you
would need to initate the headset connection first before making a call.
Which isn't the greatest solution especially when you get an incoming call.

--
Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...



"Brian H" <brianh4321@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eH$yA9piEHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I've been considering this as well. Tell me does the Xten product allow
> you to use a Bluetooth headset while connected to the VOIP? I've tried
> skype and I don't think my 5550 has the juice to do it with the skype
> software.
>
>
> nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<eoAKU6iiEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>
>
>
>
> "ZB" <zb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:2p1pt4FfsakrU1@uni-berlin.de...
> > What soft phone app do you use for VoIP?
> >
> >
> I use Xten's X-Phone(www.xten.com). I also use Sjphone by
> sjlabs(www.sjlabs.com). I have the soft phones pair with free world dialup
> (www.fwd.pulver.com),vonage (www.vonage.com) and i'm trying out stanaphone
> (www.stanaphone.com). I really like vonage cause I have a real pstn number
> and I can make/recieve calls whenever I have a wifi connection to the net.
> The downside is that you need to have a regular vonage phone account
> before
> yo ucan get a softphone account and there is a charge for the softphone
> account because it has it's own number, voicemail...etc. Free world dialup
> is great too, you get voicemail with fwd but you can only make calls to
> toll
> free numbers. There was a time where you could call pstn numbers from fwd
> but that was only for a beta, you can however make and recieve calls to
> people on vonage, packet 8 and a few other voip carriers.
>
>
> --
> Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
>
>
>
>
> [microsoft.public.pocketpc]
>
>
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 4:29:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I've been able to connect my hbh-65 for sometime now. Basically it acts as a replacement for the microphone and speaker. For this application I would use the normal touch screen to initiate the call, just don't want to hold the PDA while I'm talking. Have you tried to connect the PDA to the headset and then intial a call with vonage?

nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<#wmc99qiEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>

Coonnecting to a bluetooth headset has to do more with the headset and
bluetooth drivers in the pocketpc and not the software. I had a jabra bt200
headset that I could never pair to my 5555 but now I have a jabra bt250 that
works ok with it. There is a problem on the 54/55xx's where the bluetooth
radio will temporarily knock you off the wifi network when the bluetooth
radio is in search mode. So in order to use the headset with success you
would need to initate the headset connection first before making a call.
Which isn't the greatest solution especially when you get an incoming call.

--
Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...



"Brian H" <brianh4321@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eH$yA9piEHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I've been considering this as well. Tell me does the Xten product allow
> you to use a Bluetooth headset while connected to the VOIP? I've tried
> skype and I don't think my 5550 has the juice to do it with the skype
> software.
>
>
> nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<eoAKU6iiEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>
>
>
>
> "ZB" <zb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:2p1pt4FfsakrU1@uni-berlin.de...
> > What soft phone app do you use for VoIP?
> >
> >
> I use Xten's X-Phone(www.xten.com). I also use Sjphone by
> sjlabs(www.sjlabs.com). I have the soft phones pair with free world dialup
> (www.fwd.pulver.com),vonage (www.vonage.com) and i'm trying out stanaphone
> (www.stanaphone.com). I really like vonage cause I have a real pstn number
> and I can make/recieve calls whenever I have a wifi connection to the net.
> The downside is that you need to have a regular vonage phone account
> before
> yo ucan get a softphone account and there is a charge for the softphone
> account because it has it's own number, voicemail...etc. Free world dialup
> is great too, you get voicemail with fwd but you can only make calls to
> toll
> free numbers. There was a time where you could call pstn numbers from fwd
> but that was only for a beta, you can however make and recieve calls to
> people on vonage, packet 8 and a few other voip carriers.
>
>
> --
> Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
>
>
>
>
> [microsoft.public.pocketpc]
>
>




[microsoft.public.pocketpc]
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 9:39:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Brian H" <brianh4321@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uRdhPntiEHA.2808@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I've been able to connect my hbh-65 for sometime now. Basically it acts
> as a replacement for the microphone and speaker. For this >application I
> would use the normal touch screen to initiate the call, just don't want to
> hold the PDA while I'm talking. Have you tried to connect >the PDA to the
> headset and then intial a call with vonage?


That's what I do, it's not too bad and it works fairly well.
--
Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...
!