NT service causing reboot - need to disable this service.

Hi
Win NT server 4 with sp6 (BDC)
Have just installed V2I protector agent to test from 30 day eval CD.....
Has installed fine, server boots up Ok, I login as usual as administrator,
but as soon as the service for this agent starts the server immediately
re-boots.

From logging in, I have about 30 seconds or so before it re-boots....It's
now caught in this cycle.

Ive tried changing this service from auto to disabled when I've looged in
(in the 30 second slot) but this won't let me as it says "The service
database is locked".

I've tried connecting to the services from another machine which seemed Ok,
tried changing the service to disabled here but to no avail, server has
probably rebooted here..

I've watched the services, this service in particular after boot, it says
its 'starting'..then the reboot....

Is there anyway I can disable this service, soI can then uninstall this
product?
I was wondering about the feasibility of using an Offline NT registry editor
to modfy, but not sure how or if this is possile.
Or is there a better way?

Symantec support, if you can get through has proved no help, this being a
product they have just acquired from their recent acquisition of
Powerquest...

Please could someone help or advise....

Thank you in advance

CT
2 answers Last reply
More about service causing reboot disable service

    Try booting up into safe mode. Edit the boot.ini. Add a "/sos" to the end of
    the line calling the VGA mode. Such as:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT Server Version 4.00
    [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos
    If you can not edit the boot.ini, then format a floppy in another NT
    machine. Copy these files to it: (note: you may not need or have all of
    them, depends on your system)

    COMMAND.COM
    boot.ini
    DRVSPACE.BIN
    IO.SYS
    MSDOS.SYS
    ntldr
    NTDETECT.COM
    BOOTSECT.DOS

    Then edit the boot.ini as above (You may have to change the drive and
    partition numbers to reflect the machine you want to boot). Then boot with
    the floppy and select the VGA mode. If you're lucky that bad service will
    not get started and you can destroy it.
    Another option would be a parallel install (or move Harddrive to another NT
    unit) and delete or rename the problem files.
    --
    Yor Suiris
    Remove the kNOT to reply.
    "C Thompson" <bouyaka@nme.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Win NT server 4 with sp6 (BDC)
    > Have just installed V2I protector agent to test from 30 day eval CD.....
    > Has installed fine, server boots up Ok, I login as usual as administrator,
    > but as soon as the service for this agent starts the server immediately
    > re-boots.
    >
    > From logging in, I have about 30 seconds or so before it re-boots....It's
    > now caught in this cycle.
    >
    > Ive tried changing this service from auto to disabled when I've looged in
    > (in the 30 second slot) but this won't let me as it says "The service
    > database is locked".
    >
    > I've tried connecting to the services from another machine which seemed
    Ok,
    > tried changing the service to disabled here but to no avail, server has
    > probably rebooted here..
    >
    > I've watched the services, this service in particular after boot, it says
    > its 'starting'..then the reboot....
    >
    > Is there anyway I can disable this service, soI can then uninstall this
    > product?
    > I was wondering about the feasibility of using an Offline NT registry
    editor
    > to modfy, but not sure how or if this is possile.
    > Or is there a better way?
    >
    > Symantec support, if you can get through has proved no help, this being a
    > product they have just acquired from their recent acquisition of
    > Powerquest...
    >
    > Please could someone help or advise....
    >
    > Thank you in advance
    >
    > CT

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Thank you for your advice on this, I tried it but was not lucky enough for
    this service not to run. I have now however fixed it by searching the
    registry on another server which has this agent and found the key(s) which
    start the affected service as automatic. Exported these keys and then
    created one reg file with these in, edited relevant bits to disable (4) and
    was then able to execute this reg file in the 30 second slot I have after
    login...
    It rebooted and after the login, the service was disabled allowing me to
    uninstall it........

    CT

Servers Windows