McCloudb182

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
'm not sure where this should go, but this seemed about right.

my specs.

amd 3500+ venice core

an8 ultra

using some crap pc3200ram for now, 1 gig

using some crap pci card for now untill i get my 6800gs

super flower case

now its all stock cooling

the case has like 6 fans on it

my idle temp was 42c, I havnt been able to test the load temp just because I havnt installed windows on it yet, because im waiting to buy a retail version...sigh

but doesnt 42c seem kinda high for JUST sitting in the uguru page?

the pc fan was spinning around 3500rpm's

just curious if you guys think that is High.

I plan on getting a zalman cooler and some vga coolers...but just curious if you guys think I applied the as5 badly.

rice size grain in the center of the core, set heatsink on, twist, and clamp down heatsink...

any help is greatly appreciated.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
could of sworn i posted to this before but anyway

42 is good im running 41c so .. i mean my pc been running 42 for about 3 yrs now with not a single problem thank god.

run a tun of stuff and check your temps... see if they rise alot.. under 55c you are fine still... once you hit around 57-58c then i'd start checking things at, but 42 is fine, i mean obviously lower the better so.. see if you can make your room alittle colder or something.

in the winter i open my windows and got it down to 29c once lol but anyway yea that's pretty cold.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, that temp seems fine. Heck, my home 2.6NWC runs around 44 under load (2 instances of F@H) right now.

Granted, that's with a completely fanless heatsink. :eek:

But the point is, being in the 40s is fine. The CPU won't keel over dead or anything from it.

McCloudb182

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
I actually kinda double posted this in another area, but it wasnt really getting any presponces, and this actually seems like a better area to post it in.

the 42c is idle, sitting in to bios..

I cant check the load temps because I dont have xp on it yet, im just waiting to order it.

I'm going to put aftermarket cooling on it, I have just heard that 42c sitting on the bios, with a venice 3500+ which runs decently cool, is very high.

I know its not going to die anytime soon, but I wanted to intercept any type of problem before I go and start tinkering with overclocking it to the 2.7ish range.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I have just heard that 42c sitting on the bios, with a venice 3500+ which runs decently cool, is very high.
It's not very high, but it is on the high side. You're still in the safe area, but that depends on how hot it gets under load. If it only goes up to about 50 under load, that's ok. If its over 55 then you have a heat problem.

Sure - 35 idle is probably better, but that also depends on whether you have C&Q enabled or not.

I'd call it good for now, and see what the peak is when you get XP installed and can run some stress tests.

Mike.

McCloudb182

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
I havnt flashed the bios yet, so I think with the bios revision that it comes with, cool n quiet is auto disabled, i'll try turning it on when I get home and see whats up.

I heard c n q doesnt work well with overclocking?

endyen

Splendid
I think 42c is about 5c too high. Did you have any problems installing the hsf?
It is possible that you are just not getting an accurate reading. I mean a decent pro grade thermal tester costs a few $100, and you are looking at a 2 bit sensor, in an uncalibrated system, so errors do happen.
I have had some venices with a plastic film over the TIM, but others that dont. Did you have the film?
When your new hsf comes, use a little alcohol to clean the old TIM off, then use some artic silver 5, that should get you down a bit, and the new hsf should help a lot.

pat

Expert
When in BIOS, the CPU work like it is fully loaded, thus, its temp will increase until it met the stop point. I test a old t-birs in a motherboard with the CPU fan running half speed. I let in in BIOS in the hardware monitor pageand it went to 53 from 40 some...

When the OS is loaded, the CPU drivers will make it to run not as "loaded" because of some basic power management.

So your temperature in BIOS is cloase to be the one you'll see fully loaded, so I would say that it is pretty good.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
you people are crazy... 42c is perfectly normal and fine...... the people who run these low temps have better cases, better fans, and a non-retail hsf, if you have just a normal setup with stock everything.. 42c is fine.

endyen

Splendid
Sorry Rob, the super flower is a great case, and he has 6 fans in it. My 3200 idled @ 35, with no case fans, in a $25 special, enermax psu added, on stock cooling. It's running F@H, at 2.4ghz, right now, but the temps are 50c. The hsf needs cleaning, because I have no filters on the intake holes.

pat

Expert
Sorry Rob, the super flower is a great case, and he has 6 fans in it. My 3200 idled @ 35, with no case fans, in a $25 special, enermax psu added, on stock cooling. It's running F@H, at 2.4ghz, right now, but the temps are 50c. The hsf needs cleaning, because I have no filters on the intake holes.

can you do the BIOS temp test and post your result? You power on the computer, go in BIOS in hardware monitor, and let it stand here for some time. note the starting and ending temp. I'll do it with mine later, as I have to go for now.

McCloudb182

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
I will have to put it back together tonight, im using the ram and vid card from a diff system.

but I am using as5

and I dont understand how the bios will simulate full load.....I've never heard of that.

and yes my case has 5-6 fans, plut the stock hsf..... i've done a decent job with the wire managemnet.

the only thing I can think of is that I've been having teh case laying on the side for ease of taking parts out and such....

i've tried it standing up, with the side panel off, and on.... and still getting around 42c ish..

for about 5 min last night, i was at 39c

so *shrugs*

i need xp damnit.

pat

Expert
I will have to put it back together tonight, im using the ram and vid card from a diff system.

but I am using as5

and I dont understand how the bios will simulate full load.....I've never heard of that.

and yes my case has 5-6 fans, plut the stock hsf..... i've done a decent job with the wire managemnet.

the only thing I can think of is that I've been having teh case laying on the side for ease of taking parts out and such....

i've tried it standing up, with the side panel off, and on.... and still getting around 42c ish..

for about 5 min last night, i was at 39c

so *shrugs*

i need xp damnit.

The processor has some kind of power management feature that can be controlled by the OS with the ACPI systeme. BIOS doen't have the ACPI driver, so the processor is running at full power, even doing nothing. When you are driving a car, you give the necessary power to the engine to maintain the speed you need according to the road condition. When you stop the car, you don't need the full power of the engine, so you release the accelerator. Your brain is some kind of ACPI. When your card is parked, you can depress th accelerator and have the engine running full throttle doing nothing.. It is the same pour le CPU. All the CPU's subsystem are fully functionnal even if there is no data to process, because BIOS don't have the ACPI driver.

endyen

Splendid
Sorry, my bios does not support that. I went into bios, and left it there for 10 minutes. As soon as xp had completed booting, I went to EQ, and it showed my temps @ 35c. Since F@H inits on boot, the temps started to rise almost right away. Giving it 10 minutes in bios really cooled it down.
Darn, I forgot to set it to OC again. My default is 2400, and 1.5v but I usually run @ 2500 @ 1.475.

pat

Expert
Sorry, my bios does not support that. I went into bios, and left it there for 10 minutes. As soon as xp had completed booting, I went to EQ, and it showed my temps @ 35c. Since F@H inits on boot, the temps started to rise almost right away. Giving it 10 minutes in bios really cooled it down.
Darn, I forgot to set it to OC again. My default is 2400, and 1.5v but I usually run @ 2500 @ 1.475.

Maybe that A64 has better power management than Socket A. I only try that with socket A. I will try my A64 maybe tomorrow