AGP Suggestions For Yule Please

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, Yule is coming up in a month. I've got an AGP mobo. (I'm not replacing it just for this.)

1) Which AGP video card is the best for gaming, in your opinion?

2) And how would that card compare to a GF6600GT?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
slvr How much do you want to spend? :mrgreen:
On the graphics card? For now I'll consider money to be no object. Reality may kick me in the balls on that, but I can always hope that Santa loves me. I think the real limit is not going to be money, but going to be the AGP port though, isn't it?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Oh, and while not absolutely necessary, VIVO would be pretty nice to have again. Otherwise I might have to go looking for a PCI card for the VI part sooner or later. I miss my old GF4 Ti4200 VIVO.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Best cards right now in AGP flavor are the x850XT PE and 6800GT (I don't mention the 6800U cuz the GT's pretty much all OC to it's speeds).

Both will kick the pooh out of a 6600GT.

RE: the Albatron adapter, looks to me like you can only use half-height cards with the bridge/adapter. I guess you could keep the side panel off?

Anyway, I don't care. As mentioned it's for using an AGP card in a PCIs system. That's zippo help to me. I wanna upgrade my gfx card, not my mobo/cpu. :x

I've looked and can't find a PCIe > AGP adapter. I'd like to use PCIe gfx cards cuz if they do make any more AGP versions I'm afraid the cost will be higher than comprable PCIe cards,[/i]

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
The whole situation pisses me off.

A 6800U/GT can't really be justified prce-wise with things like the 6800GS at $200 or the new high-end cards, and a 6600GT, while fast, is a card that is a lot less fututre-proof. A future that will have no AGP cards.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
You have ONLY two options.....6800GS for 199.99 shipped. Performs like the GT and still has a decent 20% maybe 25% OC ability.

And the ATI X850XT....Dont get the PE one. Every single one OC's to the PE speeds. Save yourself 50 bucks and do a small OC.

They will both spank a 6600GT....

Neither one will be something like aX1800XT or a 7800GTX 512mb....but they are your only two options. All theother cards are either priced wrong, or dont have the power.

About adapters....i have read, and i dont remember where so dont quote my exact #'s, that adapters that allow you to use a PCIe card in an AGP slot take a HUGE hit in performance. as much as 20%

Depending on what cpu and ram you have you might be able to find a cheap PCIe board and keep everything else.

pauldh

Illustrious
Without doubt the X850XTpe is the best AGP card. Best deal is another concern. The X800 pro, X800XL, and AIW X800XT have been priced very well at times.

The X800GTO is available in AGP, although I have not seen a 6800GS AGP like people are saying.

My ranking in AGP best to worst is:
X850XTpe
X800XTpe
X850XT/6800U/X800XT
6800GT/X800XL
X850/x800 pro

6600GT is way below the X800pro even.

Oh, and while not absolutely necessary, VIVO would be pretty nice to have again. Otherwise I might have to go looking for a PCI card for the VI part sooner or later. I miss my old GF4 Ti4200 VIVO.
You going to retire your TI4200? Mine's still running. :D :mrgreen:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Heh heh. Mine's already been retired. I switched to a GF6600GT a while back, which is why I've grown to miss VIVO. When I win the lotto (or something) I plan on using the old TI4200 in a cheapo setup as a PC/TIVO-thingy one day. Add in a little wireless networking and it can also be a file server in general.

Though to get money for Yule this year I may dig through my computer graveyard and eBay anything of worth. So the TI4200 might go. I can always get some other VIVO-type card (or even one that can handle a TV signal) later if I ever do build that PC.

For that matter, I may clear out my old SNES, NES, GB Classic, Sega Nomad, consoles and games. (Still keeping PSX, N64, and NGC because they still get played.) If I'm lucky I may even get enough $$$ from them to mostly fund a PS3, which hopefully will be backward compatible to PSX games so that I could then get rid of the PSX too.

I might even toss the old C=64. I wonder if any of it's floppies are even good anymore. (Or the hardware for that matter.) I haven't set that one up in ages.

Emulators are almost as good and don't take up room or collect dust, so I haven't used most of these in ages because I don't really need them anymore.

Man, I wonder what my wife would do if I actually got all that old geek clutter out of the basement. :lol: As if it takes up nearly as much space as her various holiday decorations.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
:lol: :lol: :lol: Anyone know of a nice comparison of all these? Some benchmarks to compare against would be nice.

Hmm ... and I don't expect to overclock. Besides not wanting to void my warranty, this is an almost dead quiet PC. (Even fanless HS for the CPU.) So I'd rather not have the card's HSF spinning madly if at all possible.

In fact, if anyone knows of any particularly quiet models of any of these cards, I'd appreciate it. It could take up three slots for all I care. I'd almost gone with a Sapphire 9800Pro Ultimate fanless card instead of my 6600GT. So anything like that, but more modern performance, would be cool.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Depending on what cpu and ram you have you might be able to find a cheap PCIe board and keep everything else.
Not likely to be even remotely an option for me. I've got a NWC2.6 with DDR. But more importantly, it's a kick arse mobo with fanless NB. I'd really rather not replace my mobo, especially for something cheap.

Besides, if I start replacing that many parts, I might as well just aim for a whole new PC. (Not that I could even remotely afford that right now.)

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
As far as I know, the 6800GS is a PCI-e card only, and will not be made for AGP.

What concerns me a bit is that I see AGP flavor cards going away, at least the high-end nvidia cards. I've been keeping an eye on them lately and I see 6800gt's going out of stock. Newegg has none in stock, or even listed for that matter, and I see other retails that have them listed are shown out of stock.

I have several AGP machines on my home network that I want to max out with 6800gt's (prefer to stay with nvidia) and I hope I'll be able to get them. I guess if I see them back in stock I better bite the bullet and order some, cause I'd hate to miss the boat on them.

Heh heh. Mine's already been retired. I switched to a GF6600GT a while back, which is why I've grown to miss VIVO. When I win the lotto (or something) I plan on using the old TI4200 in a cheapo setup as a PC/TIVO-thingy one day. Add in a little wireless networking and it can also be a file server in general.

Though to get money for Yule this year I may dig through my computer graveyard and eBay anything of worth. So the TI4200 might go. I can always get some other VIVO-type card (or even one that can handle a TV signal) later if I ever do build that PC.

For that matter, I may clear out my old SNES, NES, GB Classic, Sega Nomad, consoles and games. (Still keeping PSX, N64, and NGC because they still get played.) If I'm lucky I may even get enough $$$ from them to mostly fund a PS3, which hopefully will be backward compatible to PSX games so that I could then get rid of the PSX too.

I might even toss the old C=64. I wonder if any of it's floppies are even good anymore. (Or the hardware for that matter.) I haven't set that one up in ages.

Emulators are almost as good and don't take up room or collect dust, so I haven't used most of these in ages because I don't really need them anymore.

Man, I wonder what my wife would do if I actually got all that old geek clutter out of the basement. :lol: As if it takes up nearly as much space as her various holiday decorations. Your going to toss the ole C-64? Don't they have a web site. Maybe some one will buy it. :mrgreen:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I just priced a bunch of cards. And of what I could find at Newegg and Pricewatch, things get really weird. I can find an X850XT PE for $330, but the non PE is at $360. ??? Weird. And the only 6800U I can find is $550! The 6800GT can be had for $325. Right at $300 sits an X800XT-AIW. The only sub-300s are the X800Pro and X800XL, for about $250.

All in all, the prices seem really screwed up to what they should be. I'm guessing this is in part or whole due to supply shortages for AGP cards.

For for the prices I can find, the X850XT PE for $330 is definately looking like the winner here.

Of course things may change the closer it gets to Yule. But I'm wondering how much I really want this upgrade. Those HSF look awfully loud. If they do run loud, I'd have to see some pretty decent performance over my 6600GT to consider it worth the noise.

pauldh

Illustrious
Yup, that's it. Long Live AGP! ;)

Price and price alone would determine if I ever bought another AGP card. And something tells me it may be possible to buy X1800 PCI-e and an NF4 for the price of this X1800 AGP. Anyway, I already have a 6800U and a X800XTpe. But eventually I'll give in to PCI-e. That's all I buy/build now, just can't justify upgrading my own NF3 / 6800U for a while. But I'm a sucker for the right deal. A BFG 7800GTX 512MB for say $400...I'd be ordering that and NF4 right away. $700...no thanku's.

Don't buy a 6800U unless it's cheaper than the X850XT/pe. Hey, according to the INQ today, some board partners will be releasing AGP X1800 cards. Hopefully this is true and not the INQ reading into a typo without checking up with the manufacturer.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27657
Hmmmm X1800 AGP $250 now we are talking. :mrgreen:

Yup, that's it. Long Live AGP! ;)

Price and price alone would determine if I ever bought another AGP card. And something tells me it may be possible to buy X1800 PCI-e and an NF4 for the price of this X1800 AGP. Anyway, I already have a 6800U and a X800XTpe. But eventually I'll give in to PCI-e. That's all I buy/build now, just can't justify upgrading my own NF3 / 6800U for a while. But I'm a sucker for the right deal. A BFG 7800GTX 512MB for say $400...I'd be ordering that and NF4 right away. $700...no thanku's.
Do you have cheapo X850XTPE for sale? :mrgreen: