Wins 7 64 bit

COLGeek

Cybernaut

+1, this is your answer. You must do a clean install to move to 64-bit. Have fun!

Ryeguy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Thanks guys.
Do I have to format my hard drive to do a clean install? If so, How do I do that?
Or can I just install it over the 32 bit version by booting from the disk?
I've already downloaded and installed the Windows upgrade adviser and completed a Windows 7 compatibility scan to comfirm if my system is 64 bit ready, and it is.
I also have "Driver boost" to help with finding the proper 64 bit drivers.
Do you have any other suggestions?

Dave256

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I have found Windows 7 64bit to be impressive when running on a Dell 690 with 2 5160 Xeons, 8GB ddram and a Quadro FX 4500 card. Be sure it is a CLEAN install and a ONE TIME install. If you have to re-install because of a bad hard drive or want a RAID setup, Microsoft may NOT authorize the same keycode again. They usually grant you one re-install into the same PC, and that is all. Press F2 during bootup and change the BIOS boot sequence to make sure your CD/DVD is the first device read from, then press Esc and put in the W7 DVD. It will format the disk and do a clean install. If you want faster performance, use the system control panel to put it in "Classic" mode, disabling the shadow and hi-light effects that can slow it down.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Yes, format the drive when you get to that part of the process. Good luck!