Proffessor Quilly, its & it's....

dallas

I was sleeping the day we studied contractions and possessive pronouns in
English class. For some reason I can't sort out which one is which.

Anyone reading a newsgroup will see that is a common problem with American
schooled posters. Perhaps you would conduct a class?

Dallas

Dallas wrote:
> I was sleeping the day we studied contractions and possessive
> pronouns in English class. For some reason I can't sort out which
> one is which.
>
> Anyone reading a newsgroup will see that is a common problem with
> American schooled posters. Perhaps you would conduct a class?
>
> Dallas

Oh my biggest gripe! And it is sooo logical to solve...

Possessive Pronouns are,

his
yours
hers
theirs
its
none of these have apostrophes because not needed.

it's is the short form of it is. End of story.

The apostrophe here indicates the missing 'i'
--
Quilljar

dallas

"Quilljar"
> Oh my biggest gripe! And it is sooo logical to solve...

(I knew it was.. :)

So in this weird language of ours why do we add the apostrophes to nouns to
signify possessive and take them out of pronouns?

i.e. Jim's, New York's, Dallas's

I know... because without the apostrophe it's plural. :-(

Dallas

Dallas wrote:
> "Quilljar"
>> Oh my biggest gripe! And it is sooo logical to solve...
>
> (I knew it was.. :)
>
> So in this weird language of ours why do we add the apostrophes to
> nouns to signify possessive and take them out of pronouns?

We don't take apostrophes out of pronouns, which is why I gave you a list.
They were never there in the first place. The word 'his' is posessive in
itself, and always has been. The word 'its' comes into the same category.

The promiscuous insertion of redundant apostrophes so beloved of street
traders and green grocers, comes from a trace memory of elementary school
days when we were told by inadequate teachers about adding an apostrophe
's' to denote posession. That was learning by rule, not education.

The apostrophe in a genuine position such as in Norman's bucket, was
originally, in early English,
Norman his bucket, the apostrophe always indicates something missing, in
this case 'hi'.

For added and quite gratuitous interest, that is why we write don't, which
is 'do not' with an 'o' missing.

Now Dally, go to sleep and stop (almost, but not quite) trolling me you
naughty Texan you :)

--
Quilljar

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60

http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ

Now that was interesting. Let's get back to that "promiscuous insertion of" part again. I think I missed something.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:38hlg2F5ncgpfU1@individual.net...
> Dallas wrote:
>> "Quilljar"
>>> Oh my biggest gripe! And it is sooo logical to solve...
>>
>> (I knew it was.. :)
>>
>> So in this weird language of ours why do we add the apostrophes to
>> nouns to signify possessive and take them out of pronouns?
>

> We don't take apostrophes out of pronouns, which is why I gave you a list.
> They were never there in the first place. The word 'his' is posessive in
> itself, and always has been. The word 'its' comes into the same category.
>
> The promiscuous insertion of redundant apostrophes so beloved of street
> traders and green grocers, comes from a trace memory of elementary school
> days when we were told by inadequate teachers about adding an apostrophe
> 's' to denote posession. That was learning by rule, not education.
>
> The apostrophe in a genuine position such as in Norman's bucket, was
> originally, in early English,
> Norman his bucket, the apostrophe always indicates something missing, in
> this case 'hi'.
>
> For added and quite gratuitous interest, that is why we write don't, which
> is 'do not' with an 'o' missing.
>
> Now Dally, go to sleep and stop (almost, but not quite) trolling me you
> naughty Texan you :)
>

> --
> Quilljar
>
> Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60
>
> http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ

TR

Carl Frisk wrote:
> Now that was interesting. Let's get back to that "promiscuous
> insertion of" part again. I think I missed something.

Cut this out Carl. The heading of the immediate next thread below your
posting in my list is "Lubricate your shaft". My sides are aching too much
from laughing.

Are you saying that Dalli answered my question before I asked? I am truly amazed at the talent in this group!

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"TR" <reply_ng@please.com> wrote in message news:t4QUd.179272$K7.114432@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Carl Frisk wrote:
>> Now that was interesting. Let's get back to that "promiscuous
>> insertion of" part again. I think I missed something.
>
> Cut this out Carl. The heading of the immediate next thread below your
> posting in my list is "Lubricate your shaft". My sides are aching too much
> from laughing.

dallas

"Carl Frisk"
> Now that was interesting. Let's get back to that "promiscuous insertion
of" part again. I think I missed something.

If you're married you miss that a lot. :)

Dalli

Arthur

I miss it a lot : (

Arthur

> "Carl Frisk"
>> Now that was interesting. Let's get back to that "promiscuous insertion
> of" part again. I think I missed something.
>
> If you're married you miss that a lot. :)
>

> Dalli

And now for my favorite of all time -- I saw a sign on the roadside
saying, "House Sale - Everything Go's."

So who is Go, and why does s/he have everything?

My pet peeve is "till." A till (noun) is something you put money in. To
till (verb) is something one does to a field. Neither has anything to do
with waiting.

-- Don