dudes, 3200+ 939 a8n-sli low oc

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
hey, I keep reading that I could easily get 2600 mhz out of my 3200+ if I really wanted. I can only get it to run at 2100 tops.

Current Setup: a8n sli deluxe, single 7800 GT, 3200 90nm 939 a64, 2x512 2.5 xms 3200, 500w good power supply, stock cooling on the amd but it runs less than 45 all the time I'm pretty sure

bios settings: all I was attempting to change was the cpu frequency. the default cpu frequency was 200 witha 10x multiplier, i am able to bump it to 210 (2100mhz). I am left the voltages on auto, disabled cool and quiet, and left everything on default settings for my ram.

post if you have any ideas, thanks

*also, this a8n-sli board has a 24 pin power input, but I have used 2 different 20 pin ones for a year now and they have worked fine [i think]. Do I need to worry about this?*

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
hey, I keep reading that I could easily get 2600 mhz out of my 3200+ if I really wanted. I can only get it to run at 2100 tops.

Current Setup: a8n sli deluxe, single 7800 GT, 3200 90nm 939 a64, 2x512 2.5 xms 3200, 500w good power supply, stock cooling on the amd but it runs less than 45 all the time I'm pretty sure

bios settings: all I was attempting to change was the cpu frequency. the default cpu frequency was 200 witha 10x multiplier, i am able to bump it to 210 (2100mhz). I am left the voltages on auto, disabled cool and quiet, and left everything on default settings for my ram.

post if you have any ideas, thanks

*also, this a8n-sli board has a 24 pin power input, but I have used 2 different 20 pin ones for a year now and they have worked fine [i think]. Do I need to worry about this?*

Lower your multiplier to 8 to check for your highest FSB....then check loosen your timings on your RAM and then try to take it up again.

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
i've heard over 10 times that there is no front side bus on the amd 64 platforms.

there isn't even an option to bump that

I can change the cpu frequency, dram settings, cpu multiplier, cpu voltage, and that's about it

a8n-sli deluxe

please tell me if i'm wrong

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
i've heard over 10 times that there is no front side bus on the amd 64 platforms.
Then you've heard over 10 times wrong. AMD 64's have Hypertransport as their fsb. It runs at 800-1000mhz and is full duplex. What we've given up here doing is fighting the masses that use "FSB" as the term for the clock signal to the cpu - 200mhz at stock.

So, up your 'fsb' and see what you get. (That would likely be cpu frequency :) )

Mike.

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
Alright well that is good to know, but:

the only option close to that is called HT Frequency or something with the values of automatic, 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x or 5x. It is currently on 5x and defaulted to 5x

So that leaves me with the possibilty of changing the "Cpu Frequency" "Cpu Voltage" "HT or Hyper Transport Speed [or frequency or something], and the Cpu multiplier. The Cpu freq has the options from 200 and up. In my old Intel p4 system I OC'd using the method of overclocking the bus...but here it isn't a) labeled right in the bios b) isn't possible to crank the HT speed beyond "5x"

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
You owe me some cookies....i found your problem

your HT is set to 5....set that to 3

Then set your cpu freq up 5 at a time till you get a crash then lower it down by one till you get a stable system...run prime95, memtest87, and 3dmark05

Those should test your system for stablity

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
Thank for you for your advice. Can you explain why this is though? Does changing my "CPU Frequency" actually increase the entire HT speed as well? OH 5x200 = 1000 which is also the speed of my HT. Do other models of 939s have more HT bandwidth than others?

Thanks again

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Yeah its exactly what you said...when you OC the fsb you also OC the HT.
200x5=1000
250x4=1000
So thats why your computer fails right at 250 without being too hot and every part looks like it could go higher.
you would need 334x3 to get screwed....and 334fsb is HUGE...lol

nope they all have 1000

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
alright what's up again guys

right now i have had windows successfully run with:

230 "Cpu Frequency"
4x HT speed
10x Cpu multiplier
Auto voltage
Auto dram configurations with a limiter at ddr400
This right now is resulting in 2.3 GHz with a HT speed of 690

Should I attempt to get the closest to 1000 with the highest possible CPU speed? Thanksss

*edit* "(i.e., it should be at 5x for 200fsb, but to go over 200, drop it to 4 until you hit about 250, then drop it to 3). You won't loose any performance until the HT speed goes below 600, so there's nothing to worry about there. " from Mike aka Fishermahn ; unless that didn't answer my question, a response may not be needed anymore

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
1, take it off auto voltage....set it at the correct one, dont let the mobo choose
2, set it to the correct voltages for the RAM
3, set the ram timings to 4-4-4-10 till you get to your cpu max
4, if your ram wont OC then use a divider to make your RAM run at like 200 or 333Mhz...because you are trying to find your max fsb, not your max overall OC.
5, what are your temps at the OC listed above here?
6, no do not worry about the HT until you have a final OC of the system...set it at 3 and leave it there till you have maxed out yoru fsb.

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
1, take it off auto voltage....set it at the correct one, dont let the mobo choose
4, if your ram wont OC then use a divider to make your RAM run at like 200 or 333Mhz...because you are trying to find your max fsb, not your max overall OC.
6, no do not worry about the HT until you have a final OC of the system...set it at 3 and leave it there till you have maxed out yoru fsb.

1. What is the correct voltage? I know i can do some serious damage in changing this, this is why I left it on auto.

2. Can it not auto find good voltages?
3. I have an option to place a limiter of 400 mhz on my memory, I do not know if this works, however my system is at 230 cpu frequency which would actually be 460 MHz on the memory, and I doubt it can do that. I think the limiter is working.
4. technically limited at 400 MHz, not sure read 3.
5. I need to test temps more, but 42 idle i think (2300 MHz)
6. I did set it to 3x at first. I put it at 3x and then tried 235 and it was unstable, appears to be stable at 230.

The only thing I'm worried about is my RAM frequency. Does the a8n-sli deluxe actually limit this at 400MHz when I tell it to?

So I shouldn't use auto voltage?

I'm at school right now so I cannot change stuff right now

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004

1. What is the correct voltage? I know i can do some serious damage in changing this, this is why I left it on auto.

2. Can it not auto find good voltages?
3. I have an option to place a limiter of 400 mhz on my memory, I do not know if this works, however my system is at 230 cpu frequency which would actually be 460 MHz on the memory, and I doubt it can do that. I think the limiter is working.
4. technically limited at 400 MHz, not sure read 3.
5. I need to test temps more, but 42 idle i think (2300 MHz)
6. I did set it to 3x at first. I put it at 3x and then tried 235 and it was unstable, appears to be stable at 230.

The only thing I'm worried about is my RAM frequency. Does the a8n-sli deluxe actually limit this at 400MHz when I tell it to?

So I shouldn't use auto voltage?

I'm at school right now so I cannot change stuff right now

1....correct voltage is 1.4V
2.....correct v for your ram is unknown because i can't find an xms with 2.5cas at pc3200 on newegg....give me the # from the package if you still have it....if not try 2.7V
3.....dont use the limiter...i dont know how that works, there should be a divder option. it will be a fraction. use the one that is the lowest decimal number for testing your max fsb.
4....use the fraction with the lowest decimal, and 4-4-4-10 timings for our ram so you can count that out
5......42 idle is warm because that means about 60 load. Get an SI-120, Artic silver 5, and a good fan (i know a good fan if you want the link ask)
6.....good

i have no idea what a ram limiter is....and frankly i am not an OC guru, i just know certain things.

Auto voltage sometimes doesn't pick the right thing...its best if you are going to OC to use your own voltages so you know whats going on.

Right now i think you are temp limited. 2.3Ghz isn't bad for stock cooling....the SI-120, artic silver 5, and good fan will cost about ~$70-$80 but if you instal you should be able to get up to that 2.6-2.7 everyone is talking about. And at that point if it doesn't go up...its not temps...that setup should lower your idle temps at 2.3Ghz to 32-34

I dont know if you want to get the aftermarket cooler, but try everythign above and then if nothign works....aftermarkt cooler is your only other option i can think of.

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
Here is what the limiter thing is that I was talking about. It is in the DRAM configuration page with the timings

"Max Memclock (MHz)" : Places an artificial memory clock limit on the system. Memory is prevented running faster than this speed. I have it set to 400 MHz right now.

1. Increasing the Hyper Transport in this case doesn't even change the memory frequency right? It should just be affecting my CPU, because my RAM definitely probably can't go above 400.

2. Is there a big difference in .2 V?

oh and the temp showed 39 isntead of 42 for an idle now, the 42 was when i was doing stuff in windows then immedietley restarted

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Yes there can be a difference in .2v

ouridle is 39 or 42....either way its doesn't matter...its your load temps that are the most important.

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
hello all, mainly pickxx [for your generous help so far].

I will restate everythign in this post so you don't have to scroll up.

My system has been running perfect except for one thing since the OC. Windows is loading just as fast or faster, all programs and games are running just as fast or faster, and I have encountered zero stability problems! This sounds excellent, but when I power on my computer for the first time [EVERY time] it says something like : " Warning, last system boot fail or POST interrupted." However, I may a) press F1 to continue and everything has been working great or b) just restart the computer while it is already on [reset button] and then apparently the POST is succesful. I initially had the 230 'cpu frequency' (I refuse to say FSB) when it would give me the POST error, I would go into the bios, lower it to 229 and it would work. However, the next day, It would halt again, but I changed it to 228, restarted, and there was no POST error.

The bottom line is that it seems to fail the POST when I first try to start up my comp. If I go into the bios and restart, it will work correctly. If I restart it physically with the restart button when it says "Warning: da da da da," it will not show the POST error afterward.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 939 90nm 512k
2x160 GB RAID 0 7200RPM Samsung drives
2x512 Corsair XMS 2.5 3 3 ( DUDE I saw Corsair "value memory" with better timings than my XMS. What sense does this make? Is mine just an old pair of XMS?)
A8N-SLI Deluxe, original bios I think

Bios settings:
CPU frequency: 225
CPU multiplier: 10x
CPU voltage: 1.4v
DRAM voltage: 2.75v
HT speed: 4x
DRAM Max Mhz: 400
Timings: Automatic

Like I said, every app in windows and windows itself has been running perfect for the past 3-4 days.

THANKS FOR READING!!! I appreciate it very, very much.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
And you are POSTIVE you have the latest drivers for your motherboard, and BIOS and all that good stuff?

Also yu say you have a "good 500W" power supply....brand and model please

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
hahah screw this overclocking

i'm going to sell this system soon anyways

thanks for all the help though, it was a good adventure to see what I could get out of my system. Before this forum my max was 2100 MHz cause I was doing retarded stuff, 2300 MHz after taking the tips.