XP SP2 Two Concurrent Users?

It was rumored that SP2 was going to have the ability to allow two users to
be logged in interactivly in XP. Such as, one will be connected to the
computer and one will connect via remote desktop.

Does anyone know if that happened or not?
7 answers Last reply
More about concurrent users

    No, this is not included.

    --
    Chris Lanier
    ---
    "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It was rumored that SP2 was going to have the ability to allow two users
    > be logged in interactivly in XP. Such as, one will be connected to the
    > computer and one will connect via remote desktop.
    >
    > Does anyone know if that happened or not?

    There was mention of it during development, but MS took it out.

    --
    Paul Cyr

    -----

    The Debate Continues... www.xvsxp.com

    Protect Yourself and Others in 6 Simple Steps...
    http://davechalkconnected.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1802
    -----

    "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It was rumored that SP2 was going to have the ability to allow two users
    > be logged in interactivly in XP. Such as, one will be connected to the
    > computer and one will connect via remote desktop.
    >
    > Does anyone know if that happened or not?

    Have a look at this...

    taken from:

    http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBQ/tip8400/rh8428.htm

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 computers can support two Remote Desktop sessions
    simultaneously.
    NOTE: If you have an open session on the desktop console, only one
    additional session is supported.

    To enable concurrent sessions, run the following batch file:

    @echo off
    setlocal
    set key="HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\Licensing Core"
    @echo reg add %key% /v EnableConcurrentSessions /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /f
    reg add %key% /v EnableConcurrentSessions /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /f
    endlocal

    I haven't tried it yet.

    (I will as soon as I get SP2 issues dealt with first)

    btw, I'm curious how shadowing features are implemented...
    (can the local session watch the remote session, and vice-versa)

    -Ben bentech@geocities.com

    >"PCyr." wrote:
    >
    > There was mention of it during development, but MS took it out. - Paul Cyr
    >
    >> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It was rumored that SP2 was going to have the ability to allow two users to
    > > be logged in interactivly in XP. Such as, one will be connected to the
    > > computer and one will connect via remote desktop.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know if that happened or not?

    Did you try the following excerpt and does this work? I have two user
    accounts (A, B)set up on one xp sp 2 node. I want to remote desktop to that
    node from another node either as A or B without kicking of the current user
    on the node.

    If this script does work, when do I run it and from where?

    Thanks
    Mohan

    @echo off
    setlocal
    set key="HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\Licensing Core"
    @echo reg add %key% /v EnableConcurrentSessions /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /f
    reg add %key% /v EnableConcurrentSessions /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /f
    endlocal
    <<

    "mohan" <mohan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Did you try the following excerpt and does this work? I have two user
    > accounts (A, B)set up on one xp sp 2 node. I want to remote desktop to
    > that
    > node from another node either as A or B without kicking of the current
    > user
    > on the node.

    If you remote Desktop to a Windows XP desktop the current console logon is
    logged off.
    You cannot have concurrent users on a Windows XP system one on the console
    and one remote desktop'ed in. (ignoring Fast User Switching which is all
    still at the console with a single logon).

    Any attempt to work around this limit is a breach of the licensing of the
    product.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    I have two licenses of xp and am perfectly prepared to apply to the instance
    on the hardware so that I can take advantage of a more powerful class of
    machine that I have. Much as is intended with server oses. MS server os's
    don't have the support for all class of devices that XP has. MS has been daft
    in the way it has approached this feature. I wish MS consulted its customers
    more when it decides to do this. Maybe this is why things like OS should be
    in open source so that MS does not dictate the terms. I cannot install win
    2003 server without losing access to 3rd party functionality since they
    support drivers only for XP or win 2000. And you say it is a breach of
    licensing terms when I tried to achieve the intended functionality. If I were
    MS I would have simply added >1 license capabiltiy and solved the problem. If
    XP is MT capable then it should not have any technical challenges -
    concurrency issues - in supporting more than one user.

    "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:

    > "mohan" <mohan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Did you try the following excerpt and does this work? I have two user
    > > accounts (A, B)set up on one xp sp 2 node. I want to remote desktop to
    > > that
    > > node from another node either as A or B without kicking of the current
    > > user
    > > on the node.
    > >

    > If you remote Desktop to a Windows XP desktop the current console logon is
    > logged off.
    > You cannot have concurrent users on a Windows XP system one on the console
    > and one remote desktop'ed in. (ignoring Fast User Switching which is all
    > still at the console with a single logon).
    >
    > Any attempt to work around this limit is a breach of the licensing of the
    > product.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike
    > --
    > Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    > rights

    > newsgroups

    Two years ago when MS announced the MIRA project (use of wireless smart
    screens) they announced that SP2 would enable two concurrent users on XP Pro
    so that one user could be sitting at a computer while a second user was
    logged in via the wireless smart screen. This would have been the first
    time two concurrent users could be logged into their own environments using
    XP Pro simultaneously. MS did not follow through with this project in its
    original form and SP2 does not include the promised capability for two users
    to simultaneously use the same machine.

Remote Desktop Microsoft Windows XP