can I transfer harddrive to different system?

redss

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I want to install windows XP SP2 onto a harddrive in a system with a P2/400, but soon I want to transfer that harddrive into a different system (different motherboard and P3/600).

Am I likely to have issues when the harddrive boots up XP with a different motherboard/cpu????

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Windows will likely detect the hardware changes, and require you to reenter your windows CD key. I did the very same thing a few months ago, taking the harddrive from my old Dell and moving it onto a new mb; my windows key initially didn't work, so I ended up having to call and talk to a Microsoft tech. Once I assured them that I wasn't a software pirate, they gave me a new key which allowed me to boot into Windows. I didn't have any problems after that, although I've heard its reccomended that you do a 'repair install' just to be on the safe side.

redss

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
thanks for the response. Actually I have XP corporate edition so I won't have licensing issues, I just wanted to make sure everything would still run on a different motherboard/cpu....

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
You should do a repair install afterwards to make sure you have the best motherboard drivers installed.

Other than that I can't think of anything.

Mike.

endyen

Splendid
Even doing a repair install has it's costs. In my case, IE started to get flakey after a few days. Did a clean install, problem went away. Some people have had video issues, others lan issues.
Generally speaking, it's better if bothe boards have the same chipset maker, but even then.