Wireless Network Setup Problems

Hello
I have just purchased a Netgear Wireless router and Wireless card and also
ethernet adapter to connect a desktop (host) and laptop. I am running XP Home
on both computers.
The sharing internet facility works fine both on desktop and laptop.

I am trying to configure the network to enable me to share files in the
shared files folder on both computers.

I have tried to setup network correctly and as it stands i can access the
shared files on the host...
One error i have noticed is i cannot access the host computer from the
laptop via start-run type in... and vice versa cannot access the laptop from
the host computer..
the host icon shows up on my network - on the laptop when i double click it
frezes and crashes... same vice versa
finially the only thing i have managed to take files off the host to the
laptop via shared documents.
Please help, any answers would be most welcome

pjnightwood,

Do these in order listed:
1. Make sure all computers are in the same Workgroup
2. Make sure User Accounts are setup on all computers: For example if user
Mike is trying to connect to user Carl's computer, then Carl's computer
should have a User Account for Mike.
3. Make sure you have the necessary Permissions in place on the client and
host machines for any files/folders you want to share. To setup permissions
you need to disable Simple File Sharing on all computers. To disable SFS open
Explorer and select: Tools, Folder Options, View. Scroll to bottom of list
and un-check "Use simple file sharing".
4. Click on (Start, Control Panel, Network Connections, Other Places, My
Network Places) and select View Workgroup Computers. If the computer(s)
you're trying to access do not appear in the list, check to see if the Work
Group names are spelled correctly. If the computer appears and you still
can't connect then do the following:
5. Disable the Firewall on all computers.
6. Log into http://www.routerlogin.net and enter user name / password.
7. In the Setup section click on Wireless Settings and in the right pane
scroll to bottom of page and click the Apply button.
8. In the Advanced section click on Wireless Settings and in the right pane
scroll to bottom of page and click the Apply button again.
9. On the host computer click: Start, Control Panel, Network Connections. On
the icon that says "Local Area Connection" you need to right-click for the
drop-down menu and then select "Repair".

Everything should be working by now. If you are using WEP or WPA encryption
make sure all computers have the same Pass Phrase.

-AKA