Windows NT Workstation BIOS Update

Is it possible to make a change to the BIOS of a Windows NT
4.0 workstation without physically touching the PC? We
need to make a change and were wondering if it is possible
to automate the process - i.e. with a batch file or
something similar.

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about windows workstation bios update

    It depends on the bios update program- back in the day you
    had to do it from a boot floppy, now they are doing it
    with "regular" executable programs files.
    IMHO, a bios update is a pretty radical thing to do with
    only the user attending it.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    We need to activate/enable the Wake on LAN capabilities on
    approx. 2,000 PCs. I'd LOVE to avoid sneaker-net if at all
    possible. Is this even possible, or is it a pipe dream?
    How would a "regular" executable be used? (yes, it's all
    new to me.)

    Thanks again!

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    > We need to activate/enable the Wake on LAN capabilities on
    > approx. 2,000 PCs. I'd LOVE to avoid sneaker-net if at all
    > possible. Is this even possible, or is it a pipe dream?

    It depends on the computers and on the system management
    software available for that system.

    Some systems - typically only those made by first tier OEMs -
    allow remote BIOS management. You can't do things like
    update the BIOS, but you can certainly do minor things like
    toggling the state of W-O-L.

    If your 2000 PCs are all reasonably modern IBMs or HPs or Compaqs,
    then you have a fighting chance and you should do a little research
    into your particular systems. Perhaps talk to your service rep at
    that company. With second tier vendors like Dell its pretty iffy.

    > How would a "regular" executable be used? (yes, it's all
    > new to me.)

    Irrelevant for you. You do *NOT* need a BIOS update - you
    merely need to change a setting in the existing BIOS.

    > Thanks again!

BIOS Workstations Windows NT Windows