CAN NT server sends message to work stations

Rich

Is there a was to have an NT server send a message to all
connected workstations. We periodically reboot the
server but do not have a proficient way to inform users.
Can it be built into the reboot process.

--------------------
| From: "Rich" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Sender: "Rich" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: CAN NT server sends message to work stations
| Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:03:15 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
|
| Is there a was to have an NT server send a message to all
| connected workstations. We periodically reboot the
| server but do not have a proficient way to inform users.
| Can it be built into the reboot process.

Rich -

You can build the process into a batch file, similiar to the following:

NET SEND /USERS "The File Server will be rebooted in 5 minutes."
SLEEP 300
SHUTDOWN \\FILESERVER /R

Shutdown.exe is available with the resource kit.
The Sleep utility is also available with the resource kit. If you do not
have the resource kit available, you can (believe it or not) use the PING
command to allow the same functionality:

NET SEND /USERS "The File Server will be rebooted in 5 minutes."
PING -n 301 127.0.0.1>nul
SHUTDOWN \\FILESERVER /R

In this example, we are pinging the local machine (127.0.0.1), and piping
any output to null, so no progress will show on the console. By passing -n
301 to the PING command, this will effectively pause the batch file for 300
seconds, or five minutes.

Hope this helps,

Derek Wirch, MCSE+I (NT 4.0), MCP (Win2k)
Microsoft Exchange Support Engineer
Enterprise Messaging Support - Admin
Email: a-derekw@microsoft.com

Please reply in the group so that everyone may benefit.

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there.

SECURITY ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please subscribe to the FREE Microsoft® Security Notification Service on
http://register.microsoft.com/subscription/subscribeme.asp?ID=135 an e-mail
alert service geared toward IT professionals. We use this service to notify
subscribers when we release an important security bulletin or virus alert,
and also to make them aware that they might need to take action to guard
against a circulating threat. You should also bookmark Microsoft Security
Bulletin's page available at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulletin/
to view all our bulletins. To insure you are current with all security
patches visit Windows Update at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to
install patches. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will
keep you up-to-date.