Reboot: Lost keyboard input

Rebooted NT server, all normal indications going down and
all indications coming up were good to.
Now we have no keyboard input, and mouse works normally.
Cannot get into the machine.

Any suggestions on how to restore keyboard input?

Machine: Compaq Proliant DL380
7 answers Last reply
More about reboot lost keyboard input

    Have you found a solution to your problem?
    I have the same thing happening but with an NT
    Workstation.
    The keyboard works fine in the BIOS or at the bootloader
    but as soon as the "Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to log on"
    screen appears, the keyboard will not respond.

    Checking the Event log from over the network I see the
    following:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Kbdclass
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7
    Date: 5/5/2004
    Time: 2:21:22 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: NTWS41
    Could not locate the device object for one or more
    keyboard port devices.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 07 00 05 c0 .......À
    0010: 22 27 00 00 34 00 00 c0 "'..4..À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

    ***********************************
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7026
    Date: 5/5/2004
    Time: 2:22:30 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: NTWS41
    The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed
    to load:
    Kbdclass

    Thank you,
    Mark

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Mark wrote:

    > Have you found a solution to your problem?
    > I have the same thing happening but with an NT
    > Workstation.
    > The keyboard works fine in the BIOS or at the bootloader
    > but as soon as the "Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to log on"
    > screen appears, the keyboard will not respond.
    >
    > Checking the Event log from over the network I see the
    > following:
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: Kbdclass
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 7
    > Date: 5/5/2004
    > Time: 2:21:22 PM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: NTWS41
    > Could not locate the device object for one or more
    > keyboard port devices.
    > Data:
    > 0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
    > 0008: 00 00 00 00 07 00 05 c0 .......À
    > 0010: 22 27 00 00 34 00 00 c0 "'..4..À
    > 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    > 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    >

    > ***********************************
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: Service Control Manager
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 7026
    > Date: 5/5/2004
    > Time: 2:22:30 PM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: NTWS41
    > The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed
    > to load:
    > Kbdclass
    >

    > Thank you,
    > Mark

    This could be a long shot, but you could try having a look at the
    system.ini and windows.ini file. If there is any jargon at the top of
    these files it should be removed and the file should be saved. I haven't
    heard of a keyboard error like this, but I've had similar issues with
    the mouse. I re-installed Windows over the top and all through the
    install the mouse was just fine, as soon as Windows loaded it
    disappeared again. Does your keyboard register in device manager?
    sh4d03
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Hi,
    I had a look at the Win.ini and System.ini and they don't
    have much in them to speak of.
    I don't know how to check to see if the keyboard shows up
    in the NT computer.
    From a 2000 computer I can connect remotely and look at
    the Event Viewer, I can't connect to Device Manager. Is
    this because it is an NT computer?

    Thanks

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    We had multiple workstations that exhibited this behavior after installing the MS04-011 patch on them. The i8042prt service which controls the PS/2 port was set to a startup type of 4, which is disabled, instead of being left as a startup type of 1, which is System.

    If you have any sort of remote management/installation software, you may be able to push a registry change back down to the workstation, or Uninstall the patch. That's what we had to do.

    Ken
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Mark wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I had a look at the Win.ini and System.ini and they don't
    > have much in them to speak of.
    > I don't know how to check to see if the keyboard shows up
    > in the NT computer.
    > From a 2000 computer I can connect remotely and look at
    > the Event Viewer, I can't connect to Device Manager. Is
    > this because it is an NT computer?
    >
    > Thanks

    Device Manager should (I think) still be in that version of Windows.
    Does the keyboard register during the computer's boot process - for
    example where it says "press Del to enter setup" does it respond if you
    were to do that?
    sh4d03
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    I know the keyboard works since the BIOS does recognize
    it and it does work when I go into the computer Setup. It
    also works at the NT bootloader when I can select between
    Windows NT and Windows NT VGA mode. It's after Windows
    gets to the Ctrl-Alt-Del prompt that it's inoperative.

    I guess I will try doing a repair and see if that helps.
    Thanks,
    Mark
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Funny you should say that about the patch, I think it was
    after a patch and reboot that I lost keyboard access.

    Unfortunately I don't have any remote access software
    installed on this computer. I think I will try a repair
    and if that doesn't work, I guess I will just backup the
    data and then reinstall.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Keyboards Microsoft Servers Windows