freezing every so often

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
hey guys,
i turned on my screen today (i leave my computer on all the time) and i found that there was text on the screen saying no o/s found in dos style. I rebooted and found that it took a while to detect my raid setup so i shut down and disconnected my cd-rom to get more power to my hd's since i have a cheap power supply for now.
Rebooted normally, got to the windows bootup screen (with the scroller) except the scroller was freezing every so often, it then proceeded to desktop normally and looked normal until i took the mouse, which was frozen in place along with everything else, absolutely frozen except every 10 seconds or so i get about 4-5 seconds of fully operational function, i suspect the hard disks, ram or power supply as one of the culprits, but since i haven't changed anything, i don't see what the problem is.

System in Sig (absolutely nothing is over it's operational specifications)
Ram is running at ddr2-400 and that's how it's supposed to be.

I know that if i re-install windows, it'll work, but i want to fix the problem before it happens again (it has happened before and after formatting the raid (reluctantly) it worked, only difference was before that it would restart after the windows screen and repeat

Thanks,
Ara

PS: Safe mode worked fine for about 1-2 minutes and "disk checking" was smooth all the way.

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
ok, got it partially pinned down, it's something non-essential is all i know (but i don't know why safe mode will still messes up.)
A choppy visit to msconfig stopped the problem (except during the actual booting) i set msconfig to work under diagnostics mode and that fixed it, the only problem is that windows functionality is limited. so now i need to find exactly what it is, anyone got any ideas on how to see the exact bootup and boot things up one by one after being in windows so i can find the prob? now that i know it's a software prob. i'm starting to think it shouldn't be in this area of the forum.

[*UPDATE*] added one thing at a time in msconfig and now i'm at everything on and it's working again, dunno why, but it's been up for a few mins

Thanks rick for making me suspect software [/*UPDATE*]

Thanks,
Ara :D