Start>Search>For Files or Folders

When I go to Help and Support and bring up the
topic "Search for a file or folder", I receive
instructions that state in part, " 1. Click Start, point
to Search, and then click For Files or Folders. 2. Click
All files and folders. Important: If you do not see All
files and folders, you have probably changed your default
search behavior [so] 1. Click Change preferences. 2. Click
Change files and folders search behavior. 3. Click
Standard, and then click OK. 4. Click All files and
folders".

When the search window opens, which is titled "Search
Results" on my computer, and not "Search Companion" as
used in Help and support, I do not find All Files and
Folders or any of the four steps set forth above.

Can anyone please tell me why my computer is different
than the instructions in Help and Support? Thank you,
Robert
8 answers Last reply
More about start search files folders

    When the "Search Results" window opens up there should be
    a button labeled SEARCH with a magnifying glass next to
    it. Hit that button and see if it gives you those other
    options you mentioned.

    The only magnifying glass is to the left of Search for
    Files and Folders just below New. I click on it and
    nothing happens. I thank you. Robert

    The only other thing I can think of is try pressing CTRL+E
    while in the search results window or even from Windows
    Explorer: START, ALL PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, WINDOWS
    EXPLORER.
    Best of luck!

    P.S. If CTRL+E works then all you have to do is add the
    search button to your current toolbar buttons. Right-
    click an area of your toolbar until you have an option
    to "Customize.." and from the next window, add the Search
    button.

    Crl+E just brings up the same Search Results window. It's
    driving me nuts trying to find out why, as I explained in
    my original inquiry, I have a "Search Results" window and
    no "Search Companion" referred to in Help and Support;
    and why I cannot see "All files and folders" or any of
    the "Change" items referred to in Help and Support. I
    hope someone can give me some help. Robert

    do you have your standard toolbar?
    View>toolbars>standard buttons. if you do you should notice a search icon
    right next to favorites. once that is selected you shoud notice your search
    companion. It ask "What do you want to search for"(Pictures, music, or
    video......). It usually has an animated character along with it. Like the
    stupid(paper clip) animated character that comes with MS office 2k

    but the answer that you looking for is as follows:
    open My Computer>Tools>Folder Options. on the view tab look under hidden
    files and folders and select show hidden files and folders.

    "Robert" wrote:

    > When I go to Help and Support and bring up the
    > topic "Search for a file or folder", I receive
    > instructions that state in part, " 1. Click Start, point
    > to Search, and then click For Files or Folders. 2. Click
    > All files and folders. Important: If you do not see All
    > files and folders, you have probably changed your default
    > search behavior [so] 1. Click Change preferences. 2. Click
    > Change files and folders search behavior. 3. Click
    > Standard, and then click OK. 4. Click All files and
    > folders".
    >
    > When the search window opens, which is titled "Search
    > Results" on my computer, and not "Search Companion" as
    > used in Help and support, I do not find All Files and
    > Folders or any of the four steps set forth above.
    >
    > Can anyone please tell me why my computer is different
    > than the instructions in Help and Support? Thank you,
    > Robert

    Hi Robert...
    Though my problem was a little different than yours I tend to agree that the
    default action for your "search for files and folders" could be the problem.
    If you go to the Knowledge Base and search for Article 81665. This is what I
    needed, though it was provided by MS Tech Support by phone, to fix my search
    problem after installation of SP2.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816665&Product=winxp

    Good luck and I hope that this helps you.

    Marty

    "Robert" wrote:

    > When I go to Help and Support and bring up the
    > topic "Search for a file or folder", I receive
    > instructions that state in part, " 1. Click Start, point
    > to Search, and then click For Files or Folders. 2. Click
    > All files and folders. Important: If you do not see All
    > files and folders, you have probably changed your default
    > search behavior [so] 1. Click Change preferences. 2. Click
    > Change files and folders search behavior. 3. Click
    > Standard, and then click OK. 4. Click All files and
    > folders".
    >
    > When the search window opens, which is titled "Search
    > Results" on my computer, and not "Search Companion" as
    > used in Help and support, I do not find All Files and
    > Folders or any of the four steps set forth above.
    >
    > Can anyone please tell me why my computer is different
    > than the instructions in Help and Support? Thank you,
    > Robert

Support Microsoft Windows XP