UPDATES

I have been trying to install the below updates for two
weeks now and have completed it several times with
seccesful messages every time. The problem is they keep
showing up as needing to be installed. Has any one seen
this or is dealing with the same problem. PLS let me
know

Security Update for Windows XP (KB828741)
Download size: 284 KB, < 1 minute
A security issue has been identified that could allow an
attacker to compromise a computer running Windows and
gain control over it. You can help protect your computer
by installing this update from Microsoft. After you
install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
Read more...

Remove
Security Update for Windows XP (KB835732)
Download size: 284 KB, < 1 minute
Multiple security issues have been identified that could
allow an attacker to compromise a computer running
Windows and gain complete control over it. You can help
protect your computer by installing this update from
Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
restart your computer. Read more...

Remove
There are no updates selected.
2 answers Last reply
More about updates

    One of these links may assist. You may wish to try the last one.

    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/needagain.htm
    Windows Update says the update is still needed
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319109
    Windows Update Site Lists Updates That You Already Installed - WinXP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798
    You Cannot Install Updates or You Are Prompted to Install Updates That You Have
    Already Installed - WinXP
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_hotfix_prompt.htm
    Prevent Windows Update from prompting you to install a Hotfix you know is
    already installed - WinXP

    "Eric Gallett" <gallett1@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have been trying to install the below updates for two
    > weeks now and have completed it several times with
    > seccesful messages every time. The problem is they keep
    > showing up as needing to be installed. Has any one seen
    > this or is dealing with the same problem. PLS let me
    > know
    >
    > Security Update for Windows XP (KB828741)
    > Download size: 284 KB, < 1 minute
    > A security issue has been identified that could allow an
    > attacker to compromise a computer running Windows and
    > gain control over it. You can help protect your computer
    > by installing this update from Microsoft. After you
    > install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    > Read more...
    >
    > Remove
    > Security Update for Windows XP (KB835732)
    > Download size: 284 KB, < 1 minute
    > Multiple security issues have been identified that could
    > allow an attacker to compromise a computer running
    > Windows and gain complete control over it. You can help
    > protect your computer by installing this update from
    > Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
    > restart your computer. Read more...
    >
    > Remove
    > There are no updates selected.

    Eric--
    This has been a problem for many XP users.., I suspect because MS have
    created various tweaks/versions to the Windows Update utility (it's an Active
    X control that is installed via the Windows Update website). A remedy to
    this, in addition to the links that Kaylene suggested (*the abstracts tend to
    be rather long), would be to clean out the previous Update components.

    Go to C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files and proceeded to delete the
    various Active X files. You may have to "reinstall" Flash Player, and other
    such components but this is simply enough to do. Depending on your security
    settings, the Active X files will install when needed silently, or you'll be
    prompted.

    Browse to the Windows Update website (the latest incarnation....
    {http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us}) and
    you'll be prompted to install the Windows Update component/ActiveX control.
    This makes sure you're using the latest update engine, and that previous ones
    aren't on your system....

    If this doesn't help (simple, but usually resolves most cases of "faulty
    update" messages), repost and more robust answers would be forthcoming.

    --MK

    "Eric Gallett" wrote:

    > I have been trying to install the below updates for two
    > weeks now and have completed it several times with
    > seccesful messages every time. The problem is they keep
    > showing up as needing to be installed. Has any one seen
    > this or is dealing with the same problem. PLS let me
    > know
    >
    > Security Update for Windows XP (KB828741)
    > Download size: 284 KB, < 1 minute
    > A security issue has been identified that could allow an
    > attacker to compromise a computer running Windows and
    > gain control over it. You can help protect your computer
    > by installing this update from Microsoft. After you
    > install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    > Read more...
    >
    > Remove
    > Security Update for Windows XP (KB835732)
    > Download size: 284 KB, < 1 minute
    > Multiple security issues have been identified that could
    > allow an attacker to compromise a computer running
    > Windows and gain complete control over it. You can help
    > protect your computer by installing this update from
    > Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
    > restart your computer. Read more...
    >
    > Remove
    > There are no updates selected.

Security Computers Microsoft Windows XP