serious help with X2 3800+

mcst-

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
ok, i posted here cos i dun really know which section it belongs to. pls help mi out..

erm i'm experiencing uber lag/throttling ever since i changed to my new processor (X2 3800+) and i think it has something to do with the fact that i changed my processor to a dual core which i overclocked it to 2.5ghz. this is so becos it was the same with my cs and i went to task manager to set affinity to only 1 core and the lag/throttle was solved. even though i tried the THG Task Assignment, warcraft did not appear under the list of programs active to set, so i went to set under application profile. however it did not help either.. then i went to downclock it back to stock and then i dun experience the lag anymore. so wad im trying to find out is that wads the reason causing all this lag and is there anyway i can play wc3 without having to run at stock? thks

mcst-

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
Lag as in internet lag or FPS stuttering? You'd be better off trying the regular CPU forum.

erm its lag as in its throttling and has nothing to do with my net cos on router and my other com runs fine in a same game. and the throttling/lag is gone as soon as i downclocked to stock.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
ALWAYS list your cpu, ram, mobo, gpu for all questions like this....also for me if you could...list your cooling for your cpu stock oraftermarket, power supply....and that shouldhelp

mcst-

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
ok my rig is as follows:

AMD X2 3800+ o/c to 2.5ghz
on XP-90 with silentcat 92mm fan
DFI Lanparty UT SLI-D
2*512 PDP ddr400 xblk+ @ 2.5-3-3-8
OCZ Powerstream 420w

so hopefully im able to get some sort of help. thks guys

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Well you have great system specs....

check a couple things....what are the temps running at stock with WC3 running and running with ther OC as well?

Also open WC3 let it run for about 5min and then ALt-Tab out of it to your desktop....Ctrl/alt/del and look to see how much memory the game is taking up....stock and OC'd

Double check to make sure that you have your PCIe locked in your BIOS, that could cause problems

Also what video card do you have and what are the temps for it when your cpu is stock and OC'd??

bascially if i were to see some number change dramatically from stock to OC, then i would know that might be a cause. because its normal in stock and abnormal when OC'd i figure we can do some weird diagnosis.

mcst-

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
oh yes i actually forgot to add in what my graphics card is, im using msi 7800gt, didnt oc my card

stock temperature is around 36deg and oc around 38deg. PCIe is locked at 100

hmm will monitor how much ram its taking up and provide further report. thks pickxx for help

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Also download motherboard monitor adn check your temps durring a 100% load for both....your cpu could be overheating and then cool and quiet is slowing your cpu down.

reader850

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001
MBM is no longer being updated to work for new boards. Since the configuration wizard for Motherboard Monitor doesn't cover DFI NF4 boards, you have to download MBM, skip the configuration wizard, and then replace the data file with a custom file you can get here: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6798&highlight=motherboard+monitor
It isn't hard, once you understand what to do. There are additional steps to make it work for video card temps...

mcst-

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
ok so far i've monitored my temps. its around 60+ on load only. and i've changed my cooling to fs-v7 thus im pretty sure its not overheating issue. and 1 more thing i've noticed, when i rebooted my com, dota lagging/throttling was not an issue. the problem surfaced only after some time of playing like 2hr+ ? thus im still confused as to wad the problem could be.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
60+ is BAD BAD BAD

When your temps are high, they sometime can build up....so after 2hours of gaming your 60+ temps can turn into 70+ temps and then the cpu starts to slow itself so you dont causea fire...lol....ora meldown actually.

my guess is you need better cooling.

mcst-

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
no, wad i meant was the temp was around 60-62 but seldom goes beyond that. i monitored the temps when it was lagging n i realise its only around 57-60. i reckon it isnt too hot right?

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
57-60 for an OC'd cpu isn't bad(but certainly not good.)....and it shouldn't throttle at that temp....

I dont know....i am out of ideas on this one.

reader850

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001
Speed up the fan on your XP90, or replace it with something that moves more air. I wouldn't want to subject a new 3800 to those temps. I think you said it works fine without O/C, but not at 2.5GHz. What about 2.3?

stealth_blade

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
Did you have to raise the voltage at all to achieve your oc? It's a bit unlikely but it's possible your power supply is the culprit here. I haven't read the greatest things about OCZ PS's, and oc'ing an X2 to 2.5 with a 7800 could certainly put a serious strain on it.

It's certainly possible that this problem would take time to show up to. As your power supply heats up, it delivers less power, so it might not become an issue until 2 hours into a game like wc3.

Anyways, its something for you to consider...

Hiyo

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
its been a about a month now since u posted and i was wondering if u have resolved ur issue since i am having the same. i am currently using a amd 64 3800x2, evga 7800gt, 2 gig corsair xms ram, and a dfi nf4 sli-dr expert. i am not overclocking but i also have issues with warcraft when playing dota( also seems to occur after a duration of playing) and counter strike. its most confusing since the computer runs fine on everyhthing else ive done it even runs counterstrike source flawlessly just the original its stutters immensly. its almost as if my fps drops down to 3. i havent yet overclocked since im trying to resolve this issue first and i doubt its overheating since i have around 37c. if anyone can assist and post an opinion i would greatly appreciate it.

mcst-

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
hmm bro actually i've already quite solved it. i changed to a 520w n it works fine. but of cos i still encounter the problem with warcraft everytime after i play counterstrike then switch back to dota. i read dat its about some problem with the dual core unable to allocate the memory correctly (something like that) thus if i wanna play warcraft i will have to restart my com 1st. maybe u can try restarting then playing dota. if ur fps drop is for cs, then i know wads the problem. erm its due to cpu affinity.. when u're in counterstrike, go to task manager n select hl.exe n set affinity to either cpu 0 or cpu 1. hope it helps.