windows NT4 service pack 6a ERROR

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 10, 2004 5:49:32 PM

I have installed the latest service patch on rebooting the
keyboard and mouse wont operate and I cannot log in.
What is the solution
May 11, 2004 12:27:44 PM

Hi Martin,

Most likely it was the application of the Post Service Pack 6a Security Rollup
(SRP) that actually caused your problem. To repeat my standard answer to this
question:

This question is constantly asked - the frequency of people encountering this
particular problem has skyrocketed in the last year or so because of the all the
Virus/Worm scares and everyone finally deciding to do something about plugging
the multitude of security holes left in Microsoft OSes (NT 4.0 included)

To answer - by any chance did you have a copy of Microsoft Intellimouse prior to
V3.2 installed on the machine ? There is known issue of the 'POST SP6a Security
Rollup (SRP) Q299444' breaking the mouse and keyboard when it is installed under
these conditions.

Have a look at Microsoft Knowledgebase Article 305462 - Mouse and Keyboard Stop
Working After You Install the Windows NT 4.0 Security Rollup Package, I think it
will address your particular situation. They offer several possible fixes for
the problem, depending on what type of file system your boot partition is. (ie:
the one that has the /WINNT folder on it)

I managed to cure my particular problem by remote logging in over our LAN and
manually replacing the effected files - fortunately they weren't in use because
they had failed to start. Once I got a working keyboard and mouse again I
properly removed Intellimouse V2.0 using Add/Remove programmes and replaced it
with a later version (V3.2 or later is ok)

Calvin.
!