7800 GTX 512 Picture Quality

earthworm48

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2005
I am in the market for a new video card, and I am interested in the newer 7800 GTX and the top of the range ATi card. The problem is the 7800 GTX is apparently better in the tests on THG, but the cheapest I've found it at the moment is £511 (in UK). The cheapest I have found the X1800XT 512 is £386 (it was £480 to preorder then dropped when it was actually released) and both are available now.

Due to the price I'd either just plump for the ATi or wait for the other to drop, but I was wondering, is the picture quality still better on the ATi than the 7800? Wasn't there something with Nvidia's AF or AA on the card that meant that these new ATi cards had better picture quality? If this was still the case I may not feel as bad about plumping for the ATi. Can anyone tell me?

Picture quality is very close nowadays. Really it's a non-issue.

While ATi now has the AF advantage, it hasn't shown itself to be that much of a benifit. AA can be arguably better on the ATIs too, but once the difference is only to be seen in screencaptures as the differences now are far less obvious than in the FX generation. Also the resolutions are much higher now and the anomalies therfore appear smaller too.

Really look for the best performance in the games you like and you should do fine.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Yup,. what grape said....if you have great cpu to keep up with the 7800GTX 512mb....you will be running with so much glitter on at such speed that you wont even notice it.

have a good time.